Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 14:56   #3226
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: galveston tx.
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 2,886
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Looks like a neat boat with good bunk space. Let me know if you're stopping in St Augustine later this year.

We won't be heading south until next year. I'll try to get a hold of you when we pass through St. Augustine, would love to see your boat.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 20:36   #3227
Registered User
 
silviris's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Boat: Aspiring Searunner Owner
Posts: 73
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Does anyone have any high res "action shots" of their Searunners that would be good as a wallpaper? Or at least know where to find some high quality images? I want to set one as my desktop, but the internet searches are all low resolution and look crappy as a wallpaper.
__________________

__________________
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 13:10   #3228
Registered User
 
Skip JayR's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: see https://trienthusiasts.wordpress.com/
Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Posts: 430
How to calculate a Solar system for a Trimaran ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Welcome aboard! Check out the Searunner tri thread on CF for like-minded folks. I , too, am about to make the plunge on a solar system for my own boat. I have a forty-foot Searunner that will be leaving this coming summer for a series of cruises, after thirty-something years of more limited cruising, then overhauling and renovating. My battery bank is composed of four L-16 6-volt batteries in series-parallel, yielding 740 amp hours of storage. I am planning, at present on using Sunpower panels with several MPPT converters. One of our our CF denizens, Socaldmax, has been supplying excellent advice.
Hi, folks ! - I am new on CF... and as you can read I was invited by Roy M to come over to here after I have addressed my question in the sub division "Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar"

under the headline: "How to calculate a Solar system for a Trimaran ?"

I think I let the fully description and specific question there without copying the whole text to here, okeys ? :-) .
Actually I am not looking for a Searunner specifically... I suppose Roy M thought to ask here for advice is a good way because of the boat size I am looking for as I have decided to start a living + working on a Trimaran (all details see in the upper linked thread).

Tks in advance for giving attention and your advices.

Happy & Safe Sailing !

(P.S.: If you are interested I am documenting my search for the boat on a small blog here: https://trienthusiasts.wordpress.com )
__________________
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:40   #3229
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Frostproof, Fl boat at Tampa Sailing Squadron
Boat: Searunner, 37'
Posts: 198
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviris View Post
Does anyone have any high res "action shots" of their Searunners that would be good as a wallpaper? Or at least know where to find some high quality images? I want to set one as my desktop, but the internet searches are all low resolution and look crappy as a wallpaper.
I have a bunch of links on my website. Perhaps you can find what you are looking for there. Click on the link below.
__________________
John B.
https://buildingmytrimaran.shutterfly.com/
blewett_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 07:15   #3230
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,681
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

I think you'll find most searunner "actions shots" involve sledge hammers and sawzalls.

You can have a look at my blog for some good home built multihull sailing pics. I started building my boat roughly the same time John bought his SR 37 in Miami.
__________________
Check out my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 18:07   #3231
Registered User
 
silviris's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Boat: Aspiring Searunner Owner
Posts: 73
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Has anyone heard of any Searunners for sale on the west coast? I've found a few, but they're the same ones that have been listed since like 2012 or so and were never taken down. Really hoping to find a cheap one that just has a solid hull and needs superficial care and fitting out. Ideally I want something I can hook up to a mooring and tinker with until I finish it without having to take out a $40k loan.
__________________
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 18:39   #3232
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,681
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

I think ETAK maybe was for sale. But I think you'll find just about any Searunner you find is going to need major refitting and often major rebuilding of the trunk and mast step areas. I've only been on one for sale in the last 6 years that didn't and it was "one of the nicest ever built" according to owner! Was a nicely built example SR 34 launched in mid 80s and is hauled 9 months every year for the last 10 years! And my inspection list of needed repairs was still quite long.
__________________
Check out my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 23:36   #3233
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 2,927
Images: 4
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

WILDERNESS status report: It's been very hot and humid in Southern California this last month, but the weather seems to be cooling off a bit in anticipation of a major drought-buster of a winter. I've almost finished the sanding of the cabintop, cabinsides and cockpit, in anticipation of getting new primer and finish coats applied. But the hot weather has been brutal. Today I met with my old friend, Fritz Richardson, possibly one of the best multihull riggers on the planet, and a former Searunner 37 owner. I'm going to be pulling the stick in early November for a major overhaul, meaning stripping every piece of gear off the mast and boom, adding all sorts of new toys and widgets, repainting, re wiring, re-rigging, and finally installing all of this shiny black Harken stuff that's been accumulating dust in my shop. I was very fortunate to be able to trade my previous generation of nav electronics and autopilot gear to Fritz in exchange for his skills in advanced multihull rigging. I'm going to keep the details secret for the moment, but I can reveal that there will be some very interesting wrinkles regarding the mainsheet system, the conversion to a full cutter rig, addition of a code zero, some unusual winch utilizations and some other cool stuff. There will also be some more shine to disappoint the folks who don't approve of such effects. There will also be a very interesting boom remodeling that allows some other major changes. These are intended as teasers to keep the interest piqued for those who like this sort of thing. So, hopefully, I will have some interesting pics to add to the thread in the coming two months. In the meantime, I have a lot of sanding and painting left to accomplish prior to the El Nino deluge this winter. I love messing about with boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ratty and Mole.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	109654  
__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 00:13   #3234
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mid-Willamette Valley area, Oregon
Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Posts: 79
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Silviris,

I own a SR 34 ETAK in the Long Beach area, and it is in a state of refurb. I now live in Oregon and I just don't get down here enough to work on her. She is for sale to the guy (or gal) who wants to take on the rest of the work to bring her up to cruising status. Much has been done and the hulls are sound. She is available for a very fair price with new sails, rebuilt diesel, and lots of the things one needs to bring her up to cruising state. I am in SoCal as I write t his and flying back to Oregon Thursday. Contact me directly ASAP if you are still interested. I can be reached on my cell at 541-760-8683 or my email <rannmillar@gmail.com>
__________________
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 14:59   #3235
Registered User
 
silviris's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Boat: Aspiring Searunner Owner
Posts: 73
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
WILDERNESS status report: It's been very hot and humid in Southern California this last month, but the weather seems to be cooling off a bit in anticipation of a major drought-buster of a winter. I've almost finished the sanding of the cabintop, cabinsides and cockpit, in anticipation of getting new primer and finish coats applied. But the hot weather has been brutal. Today I met with my old friend, Fritz Richardson, possibly one of the best multihull riggers on the planet, and a former Searunner 37 owner. I'm going to be pulling the stick in early November for a major overhaul, meaning stripping every piece of gear off the mast and boom, adding all sorts of new toys and widgets, repainting, re wiring, re-rigging, and finally installing all of this shiny black Harken stuff that's been accumulating dust in my shop. I was very fortunate to be able to trade my previous generation of nav electronics and autopilot gear to Fritz in exchange for his skills in advanced multihull rigging. I'm going to keep the details secret for the moment, but I can reveal that there will be some very interesting wrinkles regarding the mainsheet system, the conversion to a full cutter rig, addition of a code zero, some unusual winch utilizations and some other cool stuff. There will also be some more shine to disappoint the folks who don't approve of such effects. There will also be a very interesting boom remodeling that allows some other major changes. These are intended as teasers to keep the interest piqued for those who like this sort of thing. So, hopefully, I will have some interesting pics to add to the thread in the coming two months. In the meantime, I have a lot of sanding and painting left to accomplish prior to the El Nino deluge this winter. I love messing about with boats.
Nice to see you're still plugging away at your boat! I'm back in San Diego and would love to stop by sometime and check it out.
__________________
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:30   #3236
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 2,927
Images: 4
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Hi Silvirus, sounds great. Let's wait a bit, though, because boat work and cash work are pretty overwhelming at the moment. I even have a Leopard 39 power cat tied alongside waiting for me to spare some time. And my boat is a wee bit chaotic right now with the sanding and painting going on. I'm hoping to have the sails recut for the roller furlers and the new gooseneck/boom configuration, in early December. Then I can actually show you how it sails.
__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:23   #3237
Registered User
 
silviris's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Boat: Aspiring Searunner Owner
Posts: 73
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Hi Silvirus, sounds great. Let's wait a bit, though, because boat work and cash work are pretty overwhelming at the moment. I even have a Leopard 39 power cat tied alongside waiting for me to spare some time. And my boat is a wee bit chaotic right now with the sanding and painting going on. I'm hoping to have the sails recut for the roller furlers and the new gooseneck/boom configuration, in early December. Then I can actually show you how it sails.
Sounds good to me! Not trying to rush or anything, just wanted to get your attention. I haven't been on here since I moved out to Texas, and now that I'm back in the area I'm looking forward to checking out all the cool stuff you've done to your boat.
__________________
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 19:12   #3238
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 2,927
Images: 4
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Silvirus, thank you. I'm a little preoccupied at this moment, but I will be happy to share what I can with you in a little bit. Stay in touch.
__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:33   #3239
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Posts: 700
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Geez Roy, let him visit, hand him some sand paper and a beer to hurry things up.
__________________
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 23:09   #3240
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 2,927
Images: 4
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Great idea, Cavalier. Silvirus, wear some work clothes and send me a PM when you are ready for some serious conversation. There's always plenty of cold beer, the universal industrial solvent. Same offer goes to anyone else. I wish I had thought of that earlier.
__________________

__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bahia 46: Now Proud Owners - FP Bahia 46 'Maestro' Kiwikat Fountaine Pajot 24 09-11-2011 21:30
moorings owners program jvrkmarina The Sailor's Confessional 2 06-07-2011 07:45
Searunner 31 Spreaders Siskiyous Multihull Sailboats 0 05-07-2011 17:46
For Sale: 1975 Searunner Trimaran scotiasailor Classifieds Archive 0 02-07-2011 14:03


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.