This is Chris with the Searunner
37 IMAGINE (soon to be Nayeli after my daughter
I'm on my way back to the boat after taking the train to San Francisco
to pick up my car.
First off, I really want to thank Roy M for his assistance and hospitality during this unscheduled adventure! We had been nursing a knocking, prop shaft vibration since leaving San Francisco
and after two full days of motor
sailing things were getting worse.
We made some repairs
during our week anchored at Catalina island
and thought we had it fixed well enough to get to Ensenada...smiles and high fives all around. Unfortunately, we soon discovered a new problem...we left Catalina
at 7:00am and motor
sailed for most of the morning waiting for the wind
to come up. When checking the repairs
we made, we discovered water
coming in the boat from under the stern castle table.
We found the bolts holding the shaft strut were leaking from all the vibrations and a steady trickle of water
was coming in...nothing too bad, but more than I wanted if I was going to be leaving the boat for weeks at a time down in MX. This area had been repaired before by one of the previous owners by packing a bunch of underwater epoxy
around the mount and bolts and we decided to try more of the same and packed more Splash Zone around the area to see if we could plug
the leak. We killed the motor and sailed a few hours to let the area settle, but the water kept seeping in from all around the strut mount base.
We decided to head
in to San Diego
to see if a diver could patch it from below and if not, we would haul the boat to get it squared away. We spent the night slowly sailing towards San Diego
and fired up the motor to make the run in. We were under power, going 5 knots at 2,000 RPMs when the speed just dropped in half...I thought we might be dragging kelp or something but we couldn't see anything. I went below and put my foot on the base for the strut and felt a different vibration and could hear kind of an out of round sound and I suspected that half of my folding prop had fallen off...but I was just guessing at this point.
We headed in to Shelter Island hoping to tie to the police/customs dock
till we could get a diver over, or wait till a boat yard opened (this was 5am Sunday) but we were told we could not stop at the police dock
and we also couldn't anchor
unless we had a permit
that could only be obtained online. Not looking too good! I committed to motoring around in circles till we could reach a diver by phone
and see what options we had for docking
As luck had it, I was pointing out a big Searunner
to my crew and realized it was Roy's boat! I called Roy (at 6am Sunday) and explained the situation and asked if he knew some options for us. Without hesitation, Roy told me to drop anchor
near his boat and he would come right down to help, me side tie to his boat till we called the boat yards on Monday. When we raised anchor to motor over to Roy's boat, we got another surprise...we now had no forward or reverse. I believe we lost
the other side of the prop, but we might have transmission
problems too, won't know till we haul out
. I'm sure Roy could tell I was a little beat up and slow from no sleep the night before and he took charge of the situation by jumping in his dingy, side tying to my boat and motoring us into position to tie up to his. Whew!
Roy invited us to breakfast and listed us as guests of his yacht club so we could use the showers and relax for the rest of the day. On Monday, he drove over to Driscolls Boat Yard and made arraignments for us to haul there. I really can't believe everything Roy did to help, out a fellow Searunner owner, he really went above and beyond and I can't thank him enough!
I'll post more after we haul on Friday and get things straightened out.