Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 04:17   #3016

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Nice job. How are you keeping the ice away from your hull?
The ice doesn't bother my boat because it is on land. My problem is that the boat is at the end of the road so the plows put all the snow under my boat. Aarrrrrrghhhhhhh!!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:44   #3017

Boat: Searunner 37

We too are interested in a group buy on Dynex. I sent you a private message about this, Dan. Let me know if you are going ahead with the re-rigging.
Karl
PatnKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 00:49   #3018

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

thanks Cavalier for the drawing. I like it especially because once up there is good control of the spinnaker. Easy to Jibe and ideal on its own.

blewett john that is one hell of an unnatural location for a Searunner. What on earth are you doing there where ever that is. One place I wish to never go to if you dont mind me saying so. Nice wheels though!
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:57   #3019

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
thanks Cavalier for the drawing. I like it especially because once up there is good control of the spinnaker. Easy to Jibe and ideal on its own.

blewett john that is one hell of an unnatural location for a Searunner. What on earth are you doing there where ever that is. One place I wish to never go to if you dont mind me saying so. Nice wheels though!
My boat is in Rhode Island, in the Hinckley yard amongst the $1,000,000 picnic boats. It is a great yard and they give me breaks on the price all the time. I think they like to see a classic being reborn. I get positive comments from the crew all the time.

We have had a harsh winter this year but it is the last for this Searummer. I am bringing it to Florida some time this summer. Tampa Bay will be its new permanent home.

Thanks about the wheels. They are a result of my wife not liking the climb around the binnacle to get to the forward cabin. A happy wife is a happy life. It does make the cockpit feel huge. I am also going to like it. That side cutout in the cockpit will make a comfortable place to sit when steering.
Old 05-03-2015, 13:33   #3020

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann

This is one of the hardest posts I have made. The realization that I cannot complete the refit of my beloved Searunner 34 TAK has hit me. I am now 73, living almost 1,000 miles away from her, and there is not much chance I would be able to finish the refurb job I started years ago. ETAK is in a slip in the greater Los Angeles, Long Beach area (that's right, a slip, fingers on both sides!). She is a sound hull and I have just about everything for her except electronics. I plan to list her on the classified section of this forum and with other sources, but first wanted to advise all the Searunner and other trimaran folks here about my desire to turn the dream over to someone younger and able to finish her up to cruising standards. I have discussed this decision with Roy M and Mark Johnson, and I appreciate their suggestions and comments. I checked with the Marina office and there is no problem for someone else to take over the slip rental. It is among the lowest priced marinas in Southern California, in a very industrial area of the harbor. I have done a great amount of work on her right there in the slip and that work could continue. All the wet lockers have been redone and have no rot. I will have to bring parts south from Oregon for the next owner, but I can arrange the logistics for that.

I have not settled on a price yet. I realize that as a project boat, it will be pennies on the dollar for what I have put into her, but I would like to see someone take over the job and get her out there sailing where she belongs. If you want more info, you can email me directly at rannmillar at gmail dot com. I don't really want to part out all the goodies I have for her, but sell her with the new mainsail, and other near-new sails, custom cushions and bunk mattresses,, anchors and chain, rebuilt diesel engine,etc., etc. as a package so she can be completed, all at very fair price to someone who will finish the job.
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 15:11   #3021

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rann View Post
This is one of the hardest posts I have made. The realization that I cannot complete the refit of my beloved Searunner 34 TAK has hit me. I am now 73, living almost 1,000 miles away from her, and there is not much chance I would be able to finish the refurb job I started years ago. ETAK is in a slip in the greater Los Angeles, Long Beach area (that's right, a slip, fingers on both sides!). She is a sound hull and I have just about everything for her except electronics. I plan to list her on the classified section of this forum and with other sources, but first wanted to advise all the Searunner and other trimaran folks here about my desire to turn the dream over to someone younger and able to finish her up to cruising standards. I have discussed this decision with Roy M and Mark Johnson, and I appreciate their suggestions and comments. I checked with the Marina office and there is no problem for someone else to take over the slip rental. It is among the lowest priced marinas in Southern California, in a very industrial area of the harbor. I have done a great amount of work on her right there in the slip and that work could continue. All the wet lockers have been redone and have no rot. I will have to bring parts south from Oregon for the next owner, but I can arrange the logistics for that.

I have not settled on a price yet. I realize that as a project boat, it will be pennies on the dollar for what I have put into her, but I would like to see someone take over the job and get her out there sailing where she belongs. If you want more info, you can email me directly at rannmillar at gmail dot com. I don't really want to part out all the goodies I have for her, but sell her with the new mainsail, and other near-new sails, custom cushions and bunk mattresses,, anchors and chain, rebuilt diesel engine,etc., etc. as a package so she can be completed, all at very fair price to someone who will finish the job.
It has to be a heart breaker. Sorry, I've been there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:15   #3022

GOSH! Rann your first post was 8 years ago

My name is Rann Millar, and I live in Harrisburg, Oregon (between Eugene and Corvallis) with my wife Doreen. We both retired from teaching in the public school system in the greater Los Angeles area and moved from our home in Anaheim about a year and a half ago.

Its worrying to see this kind of post you have just made. Time catches up on us doesnt it. It was 2008 when you decided to be part of this Searunner forum. It must have been a strong dream of your life. The Searunner and the the travel. Cadence clearly see's the picture your presented and so do I.

It was a while back that i wished for a Searunner and trimaran meet. And meeting somebody like yourself would have been a highlight.

Cheers for you posts on this forum. All the best.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:19   #3023

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Rann, you will be missed. Let's stay in touch and perhaps do some sailing.

On another note, I just received an email from Mark Johnson, who had been seriously injured in an accident, some time ago. He will be back with us, but in the meantime is in serious rehab and strength-building so that he and his wife can get back to cruising.

I may be going on an adventure in a Searunner 37 in late May, helping to bring it south from Eureka, CA, to Ensenada, Baja California. Details need to be worked out, but it would be a great trip, and make it possible for the owner to get some serious work done on his boat in a warmer climate.

I promised pictures, but I'm holding out for getting the deck more finished. All non-skid is complete, both on the decks and the refinished wet and deck hatches. I'm polishing stainless hinges, bownet tangs, pulpits, stanchions and all the other assorted deck hardware, prior to final installation. Things look pretty good, if you are into the appreciation of construction chaos, remaining scraps of blue tape, isolated patches of loose non-skid sand, and crap piled on the cabintop. But if you can see through all that, well, it's starting to come together nicely. But I don't want to introduce the chaos to the permanent record of the CF archives, so you'll have to bear with my delay to sending pics. The launch/retrieval system for the RIB has been an unqualified success, which is an enormous relief, since so much time, sweat, money and terror were invested in making it happen. I need to get the rest of the hardware (pad eyes, securing straps, chaps and cover, PropGuard and other mods) installed to do it justice. When I'm done with (literally) screwing around with all this hardware I will submit a series of pics, or maybe a very short video, showing the process pf launching and retrieving the RIB, singlehanded. It is VERY cool, and makes having this dink an extremely valuable addition to the mothership. There's still a lot of work to do: repainting the cabintop and cockpit, building the hard dodger, pulling and overhauling the stick, and of course, getting the cabinets and interior details completed. I, obviously, won't be heading off over the horizon this summer, but it would be very nice to get back to sailing. In the meantime, I've got to get back to the polishing...
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:24   #3024

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann

Roy,

Another great post! Keep on truckin' on that project of yours. I am envious.

Tell us how you are polishing the stainless. I have some I would like to bring up to a respectable shine.

Rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 16:08   #3025

Rann, for most of the flat stock (chainplates, tangs, anchor roller, etc.) I use a conventional buffing wheel and some rouge, then I clean off any of the wax base with some lacquer thinner (doesn't evaporate as quickly as acetone) on some old towels, then to finish off I use some 3M Metal Restorer to finish it. I also use a Fein tool with the felt polishing pads if the work threatens to wear off my fingertips ().

Polishing tubing, such as my bow and stern pulpits, takes more effort if they are badly scratched, as mine are from transporting them on my old rusty roof rack. If I knew someone who had one for me to rent, I'd get a Metabo () tubing polisher. At any rate, I'll post how I get mine shiny again. I'm lucky to have a number of friends who are car enthusiasts and play with making metal REALLY shiny all the time.
Old 13-03-2015, 05:55   #3026

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Making some big progress on my boat this week. 99.9% of all the hardware is installed on the boat. Looking forward today for dry calk so I can give it a wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (18).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	98788   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (19).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	98789  

Name:	FullSizeRender (20).jpg
Views:	225
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	98790   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (23).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	98791  

Name:	FullSizeRender (22).jpg
Views:	196
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	98792   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (21).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	98793  

slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 06:03   #3027

A few more photos, I found out I really enjoy sewing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1904155_508830209219704_3642772794269373164_n.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	98794   Click image for larger version

Name:	1520658_551728364929888_5718607309916948862_n.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	98795  

Name:	10404513_520078888094836_3222074116012753684_n.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	98796   Click image for larger version

Name:	10998648_551379888298069_41588775956066874_n.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	98797  

Old 13-03-2015, 08:12   #3028

Nice detail work, especially that notch for the frame on the sterncastle bench cushion. Are you using an ordinary machine or something heavier?
Old 13-03-2015, 08:44   #3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Nice detail work, especially that notch for the frame on the sterncastle bench cushion. Are you using an ordinary machine or something heavier?
I'm using a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 & 135X17 needles. Fantastic machine except the retaining ring cap spring for the bobbin gets bent easily. It is good to have a few on hand (part number 1603*1)

All fabric is hot knife cut Sunbrella with Dabond Polyester V92 thread. I coated all of the material with Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof.

Piping for the cockpit cushions was a real pain in the a**! But I'm happy I did it.

The sail in the photo is a anchor riding sail to keep the boat into the wind and reducing/eliminating unwanted tacking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1383378_384073788362014_1026453386_n.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	98801   Click image for larger version

Name:	1000458_384074345028625_1228235494_n.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	98802  

Name:	1002469_384334821669244_853138600_n.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	98803   Click image for larger version

Name:	1392683_384609514975108_566429990_n.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	98804  

Name:	10438139_498885443547514_1906332365502855597_n.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	98805   Click image for larger version

Name:	10636089_497757736993618_8226803166179222123_n.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	98806  

Old 16-03-2015, 01:06   #3030

Great work Slowbat. Impressive for me. Sure is worth learning that skill as its expensive to get somebody else to do it... there is just so much to do with a sewing machine on a boat. The material can be sourced and then your away. The top right pic may I ask are the covers for the windows .. strip colours and 4 loops each corner.
Im convinced a good sewing machine is worth investing like a Sailrite

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran