Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 02:34   #3001

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

PS: beautiful scenery. That is the reason we own our boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-02-2015, 06:40   #3002

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thanks, Cavalier, I see what you are saying, now. That could be very handy, especially as you pointed out, travelling up or down a fjord or a channel, such as your neck of the woods. And spinnakers are sure available down here, at a place in Newport Beach called Minney's Marine Surplus.

I'm almost done with the masking tape removal, and working on finishing the nonskid on the hatches. I'll load the RIB onto the port deck today and get some pictures for you folks. The stanchions and pulpits still have some details to polish and prep. My nephew is coming on Sunday with his nine-year old daughter who loves to use a ratchet wrench, so guess who will be crawling about in the floats and the bow?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 07:51   #3003

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7a View Post

What do you all think of dux for runners?
What would I need to buy, and how should I buy it?
Should I just buy a set of Coligo emergency shrouds and adjust on my own?
Would it be difficult to replace not only the 1x19 backstay but also the 7x19 tensioning rig with a deadeye arrangement? I think I could do it with a single length of Dux if I could find a fitting that would work as a very strong snatch block.

Anyway - thoughts most welcome whilst the winter lasts.
Hey Will,
I'm about a month out from doing my rig. Maybe we should grab a beer soon and discuss. We might be able to get a group buy on some dux or split a consultation with Brion Toss at his rigging loft in Port Townsend. I discussed my project with him for a min. and he had several good ideas
You have my contact, reach out anytime
~Dan
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:13   #3004

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Thanks, Cavalier, I see what you are saying, now. That could be very handy, especially as you pointed out, travelling up or down a fjord or a channel, such as your neck of the woods. And spinnakers are sure available down here, at a place in Newport Beach called Minney's Marine Surplus.

I'm almost done with the masking tape removal, and working on finishing the nonskid on the hatches. I'll load the RIB onto the port deck today and get some pictures for you folks. The stanchions and pulpits still have some details to polish and prep. My nephew is coming on Sunday with his nine-year old daughter who loves to use a ratchet wrench, so guess who will be crawling about in the floats and the bow?
So Roy, each barber hauler/ guy has 3 blocks. The sheet end is attached to a snatch block that goes around the sheet, having a snatchblock lets you switch to the jib sheets if needed. The other 2 are control/turning blocks, one at the ama bow and one aft on the ama to lead the line to a cockpit winch. I use line to attach the control blocks to pad eyes or cleats easily so location can be changed quickly as I use the same set up for the jib barber hauler. Obviously some sort of snap shackle could work with padeyes but most of my locations are at deck cleats.

Each guy/barber hauler is run to a small spinnaker type winch, a Barient 10 works for my size boat. The chute sheets I route up to the main jib sheet winches as it is furled while flying the chute anyway.

Having a dedicated ama bow guy/ barber hauler in addition to the usual midships jib barber hauler location would let you rig the chute faster but you wind up with a little more spagetti on deck as well as the extra cost.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 17:58   #3005

Hmmm... I could use my staysail sheet winches to control the sheet, since they would lead pretty far forward, anyway, if I am reading you correctly. My asymmetrical leads further aft to a lead block, then an aft turning block and then to the genoa winch on the aft cabintop, near the cabinside. I'm looking forward to playing with this rig. Thank you for the initiation to pole-less kite flying.
Old 26-02-2015, 01:23   #3006

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

If somebody could draw this up neatly that could be seen and labelled just where these blocks and guys are put.. scan and post it up would be very interesting for me.
I think flying a kite is what these boats are all about. What is the big pole really for. Maybe its just if you going across the wind like a reach and off the wind maybe a pole really isnt needed but maybe the spinnaker is flown further forward or maybe a bowsprit is proving to be the answer with asymmetric cut sails. Maybe a searunner with a bowsprit is the answer
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:12   #3007

I'll post a sketch later, the set up works reaching.
Old 26-02-2015, 07:19   #3008

Using the guy and sheet the tack can be placed at the forstay like a pole. You can get a couple more degrees closer if you run a temp guy from the tack to the main bow but you can only fly a chute that close in the light stuff anyway.
Old 27-02-2015, 12:34   #3009

Here is the basic diagram, adjust for deck layouts. The only crucial locations are the guy turning blocks as far forward on the ama bows as possible and putting the sheet blocks far enough aft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0227151007.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	98016  
Old 27-02-2015, 14:46   #3010

Okay, now I get it. My only complaint is the sheer number of control lines (sheets, guys), the number of snatch and turning blocks, and the number of winches used. With an asymmetric you are using two sheets (one runs forward of the headstay, then to the clew, which it shares with the active sheet), two snatch blocks to lead the port/starboard sheets, and two turning blocks. My turning blocks are stacked atop one another. For me to sail the radial head drifter (AKA asymmetric), I hoist the sock to the masthead, pass one sheet forward of the headstay, then back to its snatch block (attached to a lifeline stanchion base or deck cleat, depending on what is best, the to the top sheave on the stacked turning block, then forward to the genoa winch. The tack is attached to a block and a long tack pennant, attached to the bow's headstay tang, and the pennant adjusted in length and fixed to the anchor cleat. I raise the sock, walk back and trim the sheet, and go. When I want to jibe, I merely let the active sheet go, allowing the clew to float downwind, walk over to the other winch and sheet it in. Then, when the fun is over, I merely go forward and pull down the "snuffer", then drop the halyard and throw the whole thing in an available storage locker or the float. But, if I were doing some serious downwind sailing that would be aided by a DDW spinnaker, I can readily see the value of Cavalier's rig. It looks like it could be handled by one person, though the launch and dousing would certainly be more challenging. Thank you, Cavalier, for sharing this technique.
Old 27-02-2015, 16:46   #3011

Launch and dousing with a sock is just as easy. I set the tack guy and sheet in rough position and cleat the sheet end then deploy and adjust. Putting away dump the sheet and douse with the sock. You can skip the aft guy block if you have a clear run to a winch but I hate the cluttered deck with that. We use those small winches for the jib barber hauler which no multihull should be without anyway so nothing really extra.
Old 28-02-2015, 13:21   #3012

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Here is my dual steering setup. I got the wheels on today. Everything needs painting but as you can see there is still much snow about. The cockpit feels really open with this setup. I believe I will enjoy it.

Also, some pics of the marina my boat is at. The frigate in the background is the Oliver Hazard Perry replica, still being built, final rigging mostly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	98082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	98083  

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	98084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	98085  

Name:	IMG_0936.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	98086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	98087  

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	98088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0930.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	98089  

Name:	IMG_0935.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	98090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0924.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	98091  

Old 28-02-2015, 17:48   #3013

Wow! That looks pretty cool (the installation, not the environment).
Old 01-03-2015, 12:03   #3014

Well done on the dual steering John. It looks like a pro installation.
Old 01-03-2015, 14:25   #3015

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Nice job. How are you keeping the ice away from your hull?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran