Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 08:50   #2641

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Otter, I carry 1/4" high-test, 250 feet of it, with a a 15 kg Rocna, on my 40 foot Searunner. That is attached to 100 feet of 1/2" yellow polypropylene line, which creates a "nest" for the chain and floats if I ever have to "cut and run", so all can be recovered later. My chain has two lockers, one just forward of the centerboard trunk to keep the boat trimmed, a smaller amount just forward of the forward hatch, depending on how deep (or often) I'm anchoring. The two lockers are joined by a trough, lined with apitong (very tough wood) which allows the chain to slide forward when needed. Since my windlass has up and down direction, I placed additional rocker switches in both the lockers, as well as at the helm and the bow pulpit to allow me to single hand the chain back into the boat and to flake it down compactly. It's always easier with two folks, though, plus you can wash the chain before it comes aboard. Jeff's folks, Jim and Rhea Turner, were my friends and neighbors for many years, living aboard THESIS . They introduced me to Don Sandstrom, the elder, when he and his wife brought ANDURIL to visit in San Diego. It was fun sitting in the cockpit with them and Norm Cross, talking about all the places they'd traveled aboard their Cross trimarans. I'm glad Jeff is still carrying on the torch for Norm, they're good boats.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:22   #2642

Boat: Searunner, 37'
I've got the centerboard trunk blues! I started poking around my trunk and its condition is worse than i hoped. There is water, I should say ice, in the bilge so I can't work on it until the weather warms.
The damage seems to come from the pivot pin weeping causing water to get between the plys of the plywood. The wood isn't rotten, just delaminated. That is why my new centerboard design eliminates the need for the pivot pin to go through the trunk.
Oh well, when I am done repairing it I won't have to worry about it.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:33   #2643
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

John,

It may well be the cold that has caused some of the delam. That trunk was weeping water below the waterline into the boat, but at the time the ply did appear sound. Take care.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:40   #2644

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Yes, water in the wood expands as it freezes and can force things apart. Good time to check the outer glass membrane for cracks and seal things up again. The further North you are the more you have to be ready for, one more reason why it is important to keep the water out.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:41   #2645

Boat: Aspiring Owner
Maybe not totally out of the game :)

Following my failed attempt at purchasing that Searunner 34 last year, I've since moved out to Fort Worth, TX to get away from certain things about California that I will not go into here. I assumed that my career as a sailor was on hold indefinitely, being landlocked as I am, but I'm really starting to consider moving down to the Houston area...which is near the water!

Anyway, the point of this post is that I think I may try going the build route rather than buying an old one. As Mark stressed to me several times, you have to KNOW about your boat to take care of it, and it seems like building it from scratch will allow me to KNOW it as much as is possible.

This is obviously a few years away from even starting, as I have no serious source of income right now and am just relying on a part time job supplemented by my GI Bill. I haven't even moved to Houston yet, which is still in the initial planning stages. I just wanted to let Roy and Mark know that their time and advice was not completely wasted on me, as I still love the Searunner design and plan on getting one eventually, one way or another!
silviris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 14:31   #2646

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran

Yes, I have. And thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:23   #2647

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Yes, water in the wood expands as it freezes and can force things apart. Good time to check the outer glass membrane for cracks and seal things up again. The further North you are the more you have to be ready for, one more reason why it is important to keep the water out.
You are probably right about the water between the plys as there were pretty ice crystals. As for keeping the water out, well, I've basically been working from the keel up. The centerboard trunk has top priority now. Do any of you have an in with the weather gods to make it instantly epoxy warm outside?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:52   #2648

I use a Mother Nature counter spell for outside epoxy work. Once you wave your staff it is warrantied to work.......in the spring.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:28   #2649

Mark, are you around? I am about to start on the next big phase of work, my mast and rig replacement, and I'd like your input. The original mast was a Famet, one of the cheap and cheerful deals that John Marples and Jim Brown put together in 1976. It has served me well, but time marches on and I'm readying myself for going off to chase Jeff and Josie, in about a year.

The new plan is to purchase a new section from LeFiell in Los Angeles, or Selden in your neck of the woods. I'm also changing to a full batten mainsail system with some other upgrades. The object is to make things stronger and easier to manage at 3 AM in the middle of the Pacific. My rigging, sails and everything are ready for full replacement. Much of the gear I'm looking at is Harken. I will also be, finally, switching to the full cutter mode, with some additional mods.

What I'd like to find out is if Jim ever calculated any of the moments, etc., of mast loading. The rigger (a former SR 37 owner, crew member of CRUSADER during its round the Horn demise, etc.) is working with me to get this done. We have been colleagues and fellow boat-crazies in San Diego since 1978, and have a lot of solid ideas. I'm extrapolating the section and height to approximate the loading characteristics, but we'll probably go slightly stronger.

We'll be doing some unusual mods, which I'll be passing on to other SR crazies for their pleasure. But the cool thing is that it's happening in the next few months. The other projects (reefer/freezer, hard dodger, swim platform/ladder) are also moving forward after a too-long wait.

So, if anyone has access to John Marples contact info, please forward it to me. Thanks.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:41   #2650

Can you believe this? This site has received 322,835 views in its lifetime. I'm amazed that there are so many folks who have been drawn to a Searunner tri/multihull forum site. Guess that's a statement of how powerful a draw this concept is.
Old 26-02-2014, 18:11   #2651
Marine Service Provider

Roy

Well, best of luck. I find it hard to understand why you would need to replace the mast.
Old 26-02-2014, 23:26   #2652

They did use a oversize section.........

I was thinking of this thread for the Constant Camber boats. While looking into foam resin infusion set ups it occurred to me that a curved table could work instead of a flat table. Using a female CC mold the foam panels would all have the same spile shape , a CC advantage, but you wouldn't need the labor and race of getting multiple veneer layers ready. Big time savings, and of course with a well finished mold all the panels will be finish ready, another big time savings for glossy finish fans. So CC people get John working out the scantlings for foam infusion panels, lots of people like this approach, there is no reason the flat panel guys should have all the fun.
Old 27-02-2014, 08:00   #2653

Roy, you should be able to work out moment of inertia using Skene's Elements of Yacht Design. My guess is the math will show you could use a lighter section. If the old one isn't fatigued by 6 laps around the world it isn't going to break in the Pacific if the rigging is in good shape, that's where I'd spend my money.
Old 27-02-2014, 08:50   #2654

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. One should know where to spend one's money.
Old 27-02-2014, 10:20   #2655
Marine Service Provider

I would spend it getting gone and take stock of what you really need after a year cruising in Mexico.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran