Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 08:22   #2626

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Great to have you aboard Capt Timbo
What an amazing Tri you got. you must have been busy. If you are able would you post some pics of your vessel. I am interested in the double forestays you probably have and how you have fitted them to the deck with what size fulers
I havnt heard of your vessel Wingin... did you rename her ... just wondering.
Are there many Searunners in your area... i think your at Florida.
Mr. Marples is spot on. Bob, we puchased the boat from the life partner widow of Erwin Krebs, Dottie Davis. The original name of the boat was "Comocean", the eight and final boat built by "Krebs/Brown" and completed in 2008. It was built as his and Dottie's final boat and true to its purpose, Irwin was diagnosed with cancer shortly before completion and did not have long to live.

Although the boat appears to have excellent hull integrity, Krebs too many short cuts to hastily prepare the boat for his final voyage. In doing so he used whatever materials were available to complete the infrastructure ISE: Green garden hose, PVC pipe from fuel access to tank and so on. The head was mounted in the far forward compartment with no holding tank, whatsoever and the position rendered it totally useless for anyone who was in a standing position (Dottie neglected to mention this and I didn't take notice, until I need to use it.

They took Comocean to South America for about eight months and returned back to Perry Florida, where it was stored in a hangar for the next few years until we purchased it.

I motored it to Carrabelle, Florida and had the Mast stepped and spent the next few months correcting the infrastructure with proper hoses, connectors, fittings an so on.

We also had a new head installed with the USCG approved Electroscan and power flush system. We also installed the Broadband 4G Lowrance Radar and upgraded to the Lowrance II Gen GPS and auto pilot.

Our cost to date totals just over $140,000.
We paid $112,000 for the boat and the rest of the investment was in improvements and upgrades. Not sure what the true market value is, but we feel we have good value for our investment.

I guess, according to Mr. Marples' comments, that we cannot call it a Searunner, although it sure looks like one. We love the boat and will start sailing it to the Abacos next year for six months a year, with the remainder of the year in Clearwater, Florida. We also plan on chartering the boat when time and opportunity permits.

I have posted pictures of the boat on this site, under the name Wingin' it. I'll try to post more. Thanks for your comments.

Tim
Old 25-01-2014, 07:17   #2627

That would be correct. We purchased the last boat that Krebs built, following his demise. A 2008 40' Searunner-look-alike.
Old 25-01-2014, 08:28   #2628

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

What is actually different from a Searunner Capt. Timbo? Building that many similar boats would certainly allow one to develop the concept.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:19   #2629

Good question, I really don't know. John Marples posted that Krebs was like a renegade who never paid the fees, or had the boats certified, so in his words it cannot be a Searunner.

We love the boat and had about 35k in upgrades and infrastructure after we purchased it. The builder, Erwin Krebs, marketed the boat as being built by Brown/Krebs, so until Marple's post we thought we had a Searunner, but it's all cool, we wouldn't trade her for anything at the moment.

I have been a mono-hull sailor since 1969 and moved to the multi as part of our plan to spend time in the Abacos every year. I have several pictures of the boat on this site if you wish to see her.

Best regards!
Old 26-01-2014, 11:05   #2630

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

I have been following the latest threads on this forum regarding the Krebs Searunner knockoffs with some interest. My friend Ted Vitale purchased a re-designed Searunner by Richard Clark some years ago that was called a Clark 39. Hired to do a survey by a prospective buyer, John Marples pronounced it "unsafe for ocean use". Ted was thus able to buy her cheaply and thereafter sailed her 16,000 sea miles. According to Ted, the boat was lighter than a Searunner 37 and incorporated some notable design improvements. When asked about the 16,000 miles at sea in a vessel unsafe for ocean use, John Marples attributed it to Ted's seamanship. Ted says the boat is still around somewhere in Florida but that it has been subsequently modified rather extensively. Is anyone familiar with this boat?
-Mark Z
Old 26-01-2014, 11:09   #2631

I think that boat was discussed on this thread if you search for it. I think the planking was thinner on that boat.

To Capt. Timbo, have you downloaded the Searunner construction manual off the outrig.org websire yet? Nice looking boat!
Old 26-01-2014, 12:13   #2632
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Yes, it was said to be 1/4". Maybe if it was 5 ply meranti, but if 1/4" fir??? Sounds a bit unsafe to me! But hey the weathers usually not to bad right?

It was for sale in Ft Lauderdale about 4 years ago I believe painted Grey. Looked just like a Searunner 37 except with a transom scoop I recall.

It's a bit sad many don't have the respect to just pay John and Jim their very modest fees for every boat built. I'm sure they even give you a deal on multiple boats.
Old 26-01-2014, 13:52   #2633

Boat: 37 Searunner

Mark Z I remember vanilla very well.Ted sailed down to La Paz about 23 years ago.The boat had a very large dagger board in the cockpit instead of the centerboard.Built out of 1/4 inch ply she was very fast she could get to 10knots very easy but then needed a bit more wind to get over that.He put in a lot of extra stringers in each ama as there was a bit more flexing than he was comfortable with.She was built by a scientist and the work was first class.He sold the boat in Florida and I didn't see him for a couple years when he came through on a horstman tri.He said he regretted selling her and that she was perhaps the best multi that he had ever bought.Now Ted or Terrible Ted as he was KNOW had owned over 2 dozen different cats and tris.He made a living buying and fixing up and then selling the boats.He did first class work and also was very fast.I would say that he is an excellent sailor on all different kind of multihull.I would love to hear if anyone has any info on him.

Take Care Sea Otter Timmy
Sea Otter Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 16:37   #2634

@ S.O.Jim: Ted, now (mostly) called Trimaran Ted, is in the New Bern, NC area these days. I will PM you. Incidentally, according to Ted Richard Clark did purchase the plans for his tri from the designer but chose to modify his build and call his boat a Clark 39.
Old 26-01-2014, 16:40   #2635

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Ted is currently working on a friends SR 40, in the boatyard two blocks from where I live in New Bern NC... ""Bridgeton Boatworks". Ted does nice work for sure, and is now a monohuller. Switching to the "dark side" was all he could afford these days. At 66
(I think), he has lost his apatite for buying massive fixer-uppers!

The market for "good" older multis is out there, but they are far more expensive than similar sized monohulls. His current "project monohull" is a beauty, very simple & light. He tells me it is FAST!.

He has indeed owned a lot of boats, and many were white elephants. Then he fixed them up to being decent boats nonetheless, and sold them before getting his labor's worth out of them. As a younger man, I think it was just about fixing up old boats that cost very little, just because he could... There was always, "the next boat".

I knew Ted 25 years ago when he sailed into my anchorage in Key West. He had Vanilla at the time, and she was VERY fast. She was also not a cruising boat at all. She was way too lightly built, as John Marples said, and only Ted's skill and seamanship kept him from disaster. (A bit of luck too, imo...) The boat was totally stripped out of all comforts, and devoid of most any systems. It was EMPTY! Also, the high aspect daggerboard was quite vulnerable AND it totally dominated the cockpit when it was up.
The boat was unfortunately iron fastened, and bleeding rust, too.

When I last talked to Ted some weeks ago, he still laments selling this boat, but the iron fastened thing was a deal breaker, even for Ted.

He seems to have enjoyed his extensive cruising life immensely, and without regrets. My hat's off to you Ted! Not many can say that...

For most other folks, however, I would point out that to try and make a high performance racer out of a "pickup truck" of a wholesome cruising design, (like our Searunners), is an exercise in futility. It will never be a fast racer type, and due to the effort, she no longer works well as a cruiser either.

In my view... It would be better to build or buy a true racing design, if "real" speed is what you want, or just stick with a fast cruising design for extended ocean cruising. In the latter case, seeing the sights, diving for your dinner, the social life, and exotic inland trips ashore, become the point. Maximum speed in getting there is not that important. In fact, slowing the boat down is often more important!

Ted goes slower now, but he still enjoys the ride.

Mark

PS, Good to hear from you Mark Z! Hope your Cross renovation is going well... Loved the tour of your boat, btw.
Old 26-01-2014, 22:30   #2636

Thanks, Mark J. I'm sorry that I never got over to see your boat but I was on a tight schedule there. I'm living here in St. James City, FL on Pine Island now. There are at least 8 cruising tri's here in this little town including three Crosses and an SR 31. The renovation is going well and I am under contract to purchase a little house on a canal here. Talk about the Dark Side!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-01-2014, 06:46   #2637

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyendings View Post
Thanks, Mark J. I'm sorry that I never got over to see your boat but I was on a tight schedule there. I'm living here in St. James City, FL on Pine Island now. There are at least 8 cruising tri's here in this little town including three Crosses and an SR 31. The renovation is going well and I am under contract to purchase a little house on a canal here. Talk about the Dark Side!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Happyendings,
Pine Island is a VERY nice place for you to establish your home base! We checked it out several times... I suspect that the little multihull boatyard there, (still called Bob & Annes?), is the draw for so many multihullers. Especially in years past, places to haul our boats were few and far between. We ended up here in NC, because of the multihull marina and haul out options...

Although a part time cruiser at present, my 15 years as a full time liveaboard, (mostly in middle age), were with no home base of any kind. My shop tools and all worldly possessions were in storage buildings. These possessions all had to be moved thousands of miles, 4 times, in 3 different states. Altogether, this cost us > $15,000 over the years, in storage and truck rentals!
Also, as a no homebase liveaboard... the boat was about 1,000 lbs heavier, with multi seasonal clothes, more charts, more tools, more personal & reference books, more spares, etc...

No regrets though. In our financial bracket, it was literally, "selling the farm", and cruising on an extreme budget or not at all. I am glad that we now have a rental house here however, as our winters get pretty harsh for living on a boat, especially on a Searunner! The dual cabin setup makes them quite hard to heat. We did it nonetheless, until we woke with the bed sheets frozen solid to the cabin sides.

We officially crest "the hill" this year, and our future cruising will be with a home base as well, even if it is rented. This allows us to set off with the boat all prepared and seasonally loaded. We can leave our years of tax records at home for example.

As we all get older, working out and eating right become even more important to maintain good health. This is much more easily accomplished with a home base than when full-time cruising in the third world. With fully prepared bodies & boats, those winter cruises to the Bahamas will be even more fun.

Looking back... I'm glad that my boatbuilding and full-time cruising years, were as a younger man. Retirement years cruising works for a lot of people, but it becomes more problematic for most, due to age related issues.

Best of luck on the "dark side", and in your cruising adventures as well.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2120599.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	74778  
Old 28-01-2014, 00:27   #2638

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

This forum has been a remarkable time reading all the various people finding themselves rapped up in Trimarans. How amazing the internet has become to have this communication alive and right up to date. The evolution of the Searunner and how it would seem all new owners and or the originals are sharing such informations. Well its quite something really. Ask a question and it gets answered. Tell a story and it gets added to. Share a trip and it gets recognised. Well i must admit i enjoy this thread more than anything.
Just like to say i got a new cellphone today.. best on the market in my books A Sony Z1. 20.7 meg pixel camera water proof and 10.80 res. Its futuristic
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 08:14   #2639

Hi all

Hope this is the good thread (very good one actually).
I bought a Cross 38 (extended to 40 at build) a few months ago, glass/epoxy on foam except cabin's roof which is a sandwich of glass, ply and foam.
I am fitting a windlass with a chain locker located 9 feet aft of the bow (no windlass originally).
Upgrading ground tackle to 150' of G40 5/16 chain and 200' of 5/8 braided rode with a 45lbs Manson Supreme.
Before I bought it the boat was equipped with 35lbs CQR and 30' of 3/8 chain as main tackle.
I think it was a bit light, plus I need a windlass to save my back.....
All the anchor gear will be stored in the bilge for passages.
I think the Cross 38 has enough volume to take the increased weight.
Any comment?
Thanks
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 08:34   #2640

Hi Otter, you have enough volume if not overloaded with other things but I'd hate to carry the weight. Jeff Turner has Norm's old tri sizing chart which covers what to add up in weight for his boats. I like the approach of a boat length of chain then the rode. With long chain you won't have anything but chain out in shallow water so won't have the shock absorbtion of rode. However all chain works for many and like boat type there are many options that work. Where you are cruising may be the biggest factor. In rocks or coral with a rode set up 2 anchors can stop the swing that can chafe the rode on obstructions. If you post on the main multihull forum Don Sandstrom who has the Cross 40 Anduril may see the post and let you know what works for them, they've been around the globe twice so have some practice just about everywhere.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran