Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39   #2476
jmv

Boat: searuner 37
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Hi, I'm the owner of a searuner 37 (perhaps 38 or 39 ft cause the builder had enough plywood to have a little longer boat) since few years, but due to a litigation with my co-owner it was alone on her mooring since 3 years . The litigation is now finish and it's time to repair the scares of passing times . Then I need to put her out of water . last time I did it, 4 years ago it was with a crane, because it was the only way to do it in tahiti . Now we have 2 larges travel-lift here . A friend told me that there is no danger using a large travel-lift to do the job . I'm not pretty sure. So has anybody experienced the use of a travel-lift for a searuner ? thanks by advance for your answers .
jmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:24   #2477

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmv View Post
Hi, I'm the owner of a searuner 37 (perhaps 38 or 39 ft cause the builder had enough plywood to have a little longer boat) since few years, but due to a litigation with my co-owner it was alone on her mooring since 3 years . The litigation is now finish and it's time to repair the scares of passing times . Then I need to put her out of water . last time I did it, 4 years ago it was with a crane, because it was the only way to do it in tahiti . Now we have 2 larges travel-lift here . A friend told me that there is no danger using a large travel-lift to do the job . I'm not pretty sure. So has anybody experienced the use of a travel-lift for a searuner ? thanks by advance for your answers .

Not to worry, that is how most Searunners are hauled these days. Some use a crane, trailer, or railway... but the majority use a WIDE travel lift.

The straps MUST go on a frame. Most folks use the aft main strength bulkhead frame, and the head to vanity compartment frames. Measure from the ama hatches (inside) to find and mark this location on the outside of the amas, and then use tape or something to mark this frame location on the ama rubrail or deck.

Put the straps "there", and be sure you don't get the aft strap fouled in the shaft/strut area, OR on the engine intake. You want the strap to hang way below these, until it is located in the right area.

In yards that allow it, I have dove over the side to inspect things before actually lifting, because the aft strap is SO close to my engine intake, but now I remove the grill ahead of time... it's easier. My having all epoxy "plugs" in the hull that the intake grill screws thread into, allow this underwater removal... Otherwise, don't do it!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	098_98_00.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	68112  
Old 02-10-2013, 16:07   #2478
jmv

Boat: searuner 37

thanks mark for your answer, I will try to locate these points in my boat, if I have any understanding problem (as english isn't my birth language) to locate them, I'll come back to you to have explanations. thanks again.

Jean-Michel
jmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10   #2479

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

This is a 40' Searunner (I just got an error message trying to send the photo without a minimum message of 5 characters).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0635.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	68132  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:23   #2480
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Photos of sister ship!

How old were those pictures in the listing?
I went out to LaBelle, FL yesterday to have a look at a SR 34 for Kevin, IceDog. I decided to also take these joke pics as the photos in the listing were acknowledged by the seller to not be current.
these are a different boat, but give an idea of the "neighborhood"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	68360  
Old 08-10-2013, 09:11   #2481

So, how did the SR34 look? Worth the price?
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37   #2482

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Wizard, that is the $50,000 question...Jeff did a great job of evaluating it with good detail and photos. I need to mull it over and do more research. It does have a new looking Spectra watermaker and a wind generator that is not mentioned in the ad to go with the new engine, electrical system and sails...On the other hand it needs work. It's not a slam dunk bargain in this boat selling climate but it might be a good value. The owner says the value of upgrades exceeds the price???
Old 08-10-2013, 10:39   #2483
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

All the photos I took yesterday are basically the property of Kevin, but perhaps he'll post some here. I'd be able to consult with you individually on the boat if he decides to pass.

Overall, the boat is very nice but has some issues.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22   #2484

Well, I've been there myself on both sides of the buyer/seller thing in terms of upgrades. Obviously as a seller you wish to get as much on the dollar as you can, and as a buyer you try to get the upgrades for as little on the dollar as you can. Point in fact though, you are not going to get a 100% on the dollar in return for what you paid for them, so calculating that number is subjective, whether you are buying or selling. I would doubt seriously if the upgrades exceeded the price of the boat, I have never seen that ever. My point, if I were interested, would be more of how much will it take to put the boat back to structual and cosmetic condition where I would want it. at that point then I would make an offer that I was comfortable with. I think as a seller, you kinda of know going in that you are not ever going to get the return on the boat, as far as upgrades etc, that you paid for it. You do have an intrinsic recreational usage value in which you enjoyed the boat for the amount of time it was in your ownership. Now, noone knows what that value is, it is different amounts to different people, that is where it gets down to the point of, "do you truly want to sell your boat or not" I'm sure the boat will sell, it just means will the potential buyer, whomever that is, is willing to put the dollars back into a refit without going over the line of no return for the value of the boat overall. For what's it worth category, lol good luck.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54   #2485

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1_us View Post
Well, I've been there myself on both sides of the buyer/seller thing in terms of upgrades. Obviously as a seller you wish to get as much on the dollar as you can, and as a buyer you try to get the upgrades for as little on the dollar as you can. Point in fact though, you are not going to get a 100% on the dollar in return for what you paid for them, so calculating that number is subjective, whether you are buying or selling. I would doubt seriously if the upgrades exceeded the price of the boat, I have never seen that ever. My point, if I were interested, would be more of how much will it take to put the boat back to structual and cosmetic condition where I would want it. at that point then I would make an offer that I was comfortable with. I think as a seller, you kinda of know going in that you are not ever going to get the return on the boat, as far as upgrades etc, that you paid for it. You do have an intrinsic recreational usage value in which you enjoyed the boat for the amount of time it was in your ownership. Now, noone knows what that value is, it is different amounts to different people, that is where it gets down to the point of, "do you truly want to sell your boat or not" I'm sure the boat will sell, it just means will the potential buyer, whomever that is, is willing to put the dollars back into a refit without going over the line of no return for the value of the boat overall. For what's it worth category, lol good luck.
Wise words and well stated! I suspect though, that the the line of no return for the value of the boat is crossed when the purchase and sale agreement is signed
Old 16-10-2013, 05:27   #2486

Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - working on my boat is fun

I'm not new to the list but I've posted very little.My name is Dale and I bought a SeaRunner 34 named Corazon last year.
On my first trip to sail the boat, on the second day in the water, I accidentally stepped throughout the open floor in the Vanity and landed foot first on a 1974 transducer. The hole in my foot was impressive. I was hobbled so bad I could not travel so I kept putting off my flights home and stayed in Bahia San Carlos crawling around the boat on my hands and knees.
When the decks were done four of five years ago some places were sanded almost to the bare wood. These spots now have zippered and I spent my time taking them to bare wood, glassing them and then fill coating and epoxy priming them. Good fun. Kinda like repairing a 34 foot surfboard. Sounds lika a hell job, but it was fun.
It actually was, what should have been a horror story turned out to be one of the turning points of my life. I've always liked working with my hands and building surfboards was a passion in my youth. I somehow got bit again by the DIY bug and had one of the most enjoyable times of my life simply messing around with my boat. I was anchored in a pretty nice place with warm weather ,sunshine and warm water.
I'm back on the boat in the Sea of Cortez for a short six week work and sail trip. I've been writing Mark Johnson off-list and getting the lowdown on how to do things right once . This is the first of a few posts sharing what I'm doing. I hope this brings the stoke level of the list up and encourages us newbies to ask questions and our more experienced craftsmen to chime in and extend the dialog on the wonderful boats we are fascinated with.
Right now I'm installing cockpit mounted shifting , making a anchor platform so I can anchor from a secure spot instead of the crowded pointy end, and linking the outboard motor to the rudder for close work in and out of the marina.
I hope you can figure out what the photo pertain to and why they are relavent.
The first is pretty gross so If your eating I'd pass. It took a lot of meds to keep the cut clean and infection free. I could only swim on the in-coming tide
one of the shots is of the vent with three layers of epoxy and two layers of epoxy primer. Much more work to follow but I'm geting watertight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gamechanger.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	68761   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	68762  

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	68763   Click image for larger version

Name:	1000 papercuts.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	68764  

Name:	transducer.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	68765   Click image for larger version

Name:	knee pads.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	68766  

Name:	medichest.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	68769  
dale d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 09:40   #2487

Good to hear from you Dale, and it was such a bummer to hear about that injury. Hope it is healing up nicely.

As I told you "personally", this is all too common an accident, For all of us...
LEAVE HATCHES OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK! We all have to do it, but especially if intently working on deck, or when at night, it is really EASY to fall in. I have known at least half a dozen sailors who have done exactly that!

Another REALLY easy accident to be cursed with, and one particularly likely on our beloved Searunners, is from leaving out one or both of the two companionway ladders. We leave these ladders out to access or work on systems under the cockpit, to get to jugs of water and tool boxes, or in my case... to access the centralized engine compartment. (Sometimes the aft ladder is out for hours when working on the engine).
This risk is particularly true with two people on board, because we usually go down the ladders backwards, often without looking first!

One time I had the aft ladder out with my back turned, when Mariam started down into the cabin from her projects in the cockpit. With the ladder being GONE, she SUDDENLY fell backwards towards the galley counter. Luckily I noticed her fall at the last minute, turned, and caught her... right before she hit her head on the edge of the sink. This kind of accident can be lethal!
Now... we yell "LADDER'S OUT" and wait for a response, every time we remove it, so that the other person knows. I have fallen in too, btw. Even if you are on the boat alone, you can easily forget. Either put it back when you leave the cabin, every time, or... if a project makes that impractical, put something in the cockpit floor blocking the companionway, to remind you.

Dale, you have been my favorite sort of client. With your considerable cruising and boatwright experience, we can at least talk the same language. I hope I have been able to help you get back "out there", and that your project is a big success. I could see that It would be a LOT of work!

A couple of pointers on your bow platform / anchor roller:
This Windline Marine model that I used works great, but needs a STOUT platform to mount it on, "beside" the forestay chainplate. (It is still parallel to the centerline). Being that the bow is SO weight sensitive, I made mine out of 3/8" plywood that was then carbon fibered 1/16" thick (top and bottom), followed by another 1/8" of glass, top and bottom. The edges were wrapped with many layers of bias cut glass. This fabrication just takes a couple of days. It is stronger than the thick Teak plank so often seen on Searunners, MUCH lighter, and will last indefinitely. It is therefore, permanently glassed down. Be sure to make it strong in BOTH directions. Some of the highest stresses are actually pushing UP, when the anchor is slapped by waves.

Btw... If you haven't got an anchor rode well on the bow yet, and will be using a rope rode with 35' chain leader, I can run you through building my "original solution", (before I installed the windlass). This rode well was REALLY cheap, quick to build, and worked perfectly. The instructions are a bit too long for CF, so just email me if you're interested.

On your engine controls:
With an OB kicker you are a bit handicapped, as the propwash is not in front of the rudder. Still, for close quarter maneuverability, the best thing you can do for yourself is to mount the controls next to the wheel, within reach when standing up. So many folks mount the engine controls in the cockpit 's footwell, because it is WAY easier to install there. It is also too easy to kick, and when needed most (like when docking), you have to lower your head below the cabintop a bit, thereby, docking while blind!

I made my control box out of 1X2" Teak edges (open at the bottom), with Phenolic = "Micarta" faces. This box was easily mounted to the homemade pedestal, and the standard single lever engine controls mount in the face of the box.

What ever you do, make the controls easy to reach!

About Dale:
For other cruisers on this thread... Dale is living in his own "piece of Paradise" down in Nicaragua. He has had his own (very successful) surfing holiday business down there to support his habit, and has now sold it to move on to more sailing adventures. He has had a VERY interesting life... Google him: "Dale Dagger"

Regards,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	046_46_00.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	68791   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9210794.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	68792  

Name:	P9210794 (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	68793   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA010454.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	68794  

Name:	P5100645.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	68795   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9170341.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	68796  

Old 16-10-2013, 15:17   #2488

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Enjoyed your post Dale d.
That looks like a nasty accident. I am so careful with open hatches and or open floorboards. Falling down anyway is so dangerous.
Took a look at the breaks from your surf lodge... nice to see just off the sandy Beach
Ever heard of Amami Oshima.. an island of surf on all sides. It would be awesome to sail there and surf.
The Searunners are like the Volkswagon of the sea ideal for surfing. wish they didnt have so much work to keep them up as for blue water.
I have just installed a better invertor so i can make fresh bread every day in the bread maker. Also just finished putting a new windlass in with counter. And a new Garmin Chartplotter. Trying to set the boat up so that once i get going i can do stuff easily and not have to toil with heaving or difficult jobs.

Mark your boat is impressive with such a high standard of workman-ship. It is a credit to you. Reading your posts and how you have had sometimes 2 or 3 goes to getting it right. Thanks for posting and staying online. I know one day you will no daught turn the corner and we wont here of Mark Johnson anymore. Hope fully this thread will carry all your valuable information forever

Getting onto just that. The better Searunners that are in good condition really need to be kept. They are such a good concept. For there cost to buy it is ridiculous amazingly people dont know what they can offer.. Large walk around decks is one thing ... better than any tri. I better stop otherwise other tri owners will only heckle up.

LIfe is just too short to build these boats anyway. Getting going and doing it is what its all about for me. Surfing diving fishing sailing to that perfect idyllic anchorage and baking fresh bread to devour after the perfect surf session. BEAT THAT.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 17:13   #2489

Well said Ross, and thanks for the kind words...

Surfing must be a real hoot, but alas... I never lived in a place where the waves and circumstances allowed me to learn how.

As much as I love being at sea, enjoying our Searunner's safety, seakindlyness, comfort, and overall performance, for us it's all about shallow draft, island hopping in clear water, and dropping the hook at the end of the day to dive for our dinner. Then... sharing our Yellowtail & lobster with friends, is truly a peak experience!

Around here, the water is not so clear, so the "free diving for dinner" takes a back seat, but perhaps again someday...

Roy, regarding that shot of Delphys anchored out in a SHALLOW Bahama anchorage... That's our good friend Jeff in the dinghy, coming over to check on dinner plans.

Ahhh the "real" cruising life! I miss it.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0345.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	68820   Click image for larger version

Name:	130_130.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	68821  

Name:	062.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	68822   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	68823  

Old 20-10-2013, 08:28   #2490

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Hello All,

It has been a busy summer, I finished the outside of the boat and have moved on to the cabin, photo's show EZ bilge paint and Awl Grip LP primer inside. I did a little Swiss-cheese work on the bunk boards

I have also attached my wiring layout. Please feel free to make recommendations if you know about this type of thing.

Still shooting for the spring.
~Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1-6.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	69004   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3-6.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	69005