Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07   #211

Boat: Woods Sagitta 9m
Roy M: Thanks for the links, though Richard Woods had alerted me to the fishing trimaran over on the boat designers forum. The 32' trimaran does sound pretty ideal. There isn't any more recent info about them though that I can find.

Thing is, I have spent the last few years building houses, boats, and being involved in long-term projects that entailed more 'living for tomorrow' than I had planned or anticipated - so the idea of building a new boat to go fishing on is a non-starter for me personally. I need to get out there, while I vaguely remember what it feels like, and how you do it.

Also, when I have my meeting with the fisheries agency, I should have a clearer idea of the licensing possibilities. If it all gets too complicated, I may just go for an under 10 metre boat without an engine, which needs no license at all. A little less practical, but I think I could make a profit at it anyway ( I lived on an engineless trimaran for 4 years ). I'd just have to hope I didn't get the weather forecasting too wrong, and end up becalmed with a full load of fish.

I don't think the design of the boat is that critical. A multihull, that's for sure, but so long as there's somewhere to stash a couple of big boxes, somewhere to fish from, that should be OK. There's a lot of ready made boats out there, and if I am not too fussy as to which type, I should be able to track down a good deal.
pir8ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 13:53   #212

Boat: searunner 31
pir8ped,

How far from home would you go to find the tri, once you get the requirements right?

cats..paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 14:54   #213

I don't mind a voyage to get a boat home, so I've been looking at USA, Mexico, Canada.

The pound is falling though I should have bought some dollars when the idea first came along.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:46   #214

Boat: searunner 31
pir8ped,

If you pm me with your email address, I'll let you know if something shows up in the Chesapeake area.
When do you think you'll be ready to make a choice?

Kit.
cats..paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05   #215

hello sailing forum
tur_881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:45   #216

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Tonnage variations

I just checked my documentation on ETAK, a Searunner 34, and the gross is 9 with the net at 8! They do vary depending on who measures and how it is measured.

Rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 14:52   #217

Thanks for that.

I've had a meeting with the guy who will be doing the measuring, and he said he would like to see the project work out, and will swing things as much as he can in my favour...
Old 10-09-2008, 20:33   #218
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
There is a Searunner 34 listed on E-Bay. Has a rotating wing mast. Located in Vero beach FL.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 23:38   #219

Commercial fishing multihull

Hi,

I said I'd get back to you folks and let you know which boat I bought in the end....

I just got a Woods Sagitta cat. It needs a bit of work, but I hope to be fishing on it in the Spring.

That very big sheltered cockpit is just what I needed, and the fact that I can store enough fish in boxes in the cockpit makes the fish handling easier than using the outer hulls of a trimaran, or converting some of the interior into a fish hold.

And being under 10 metres, it means that if I take off the engines, I can catch and sell all the fish I want to without needing a commercial licence.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

John
Old 16-10-2008, 21:11   #220

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Roy M

I noticed your post about new windows Roy and I thought I would run it by you (or anyone else) What is your prefered way of intalling new windows? As you can see I have removed the old ones and will be installing new ones soon.
I have returned to Mexico and the boat. It will need a number of things done before I can splash it. I will try to document a few things as I go along to keep up the interest here and learn from others.
The other photo is my spreaders that are getting a few coats of good paint. I already stripped them down (sanded) and epoxy faired them. I will be rigging them up with Dynex Dux synthetic shrouds as well as the rest of the rig in synthetics.
Something I did that may or may not be good is I had all my cleats, sail track, and a few other deck fitting sand blasted and powder coated. we'll see how it holds up. I could not get them re-anondized so I tried this.
I have a bottom that needs to be sanded down clean to start over and re-painted. A rudder to finish fairing and paint and remount. All the deck fittings were removed for the refibeglass and new paint. So I have to rebed and re fasten everything.
I just ordered some interesting looking material for my vented wings I will try and let you all know how it works out. Trampoline Mesh 24oz White 71"
The Vents between my hulls is 30" x 8' long. It si a great place to drop dirty anchors and bloody tuna...:-)
Anyhow, lots to do, but a perfect time of year to be here and getting back on it.
Hope to hear from any window installers on there experience. There is a great thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dows-4526.html That has A LOT of info. I was hoping Roy could simplify it...:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA160005.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	5503   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA160011.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	5504  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 08:08   #221

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Thanks for the compliments, Jmolan! There are lots of acceptable ways to install your fixed and opening ports. For myself, I don't like putting screws into plexi, so for my fixed ports I simply layed them inside the opening of the cabinside, backed by an interior finish ring, and well sealed with 3M 4000 UV. Yeah, I know how tough it is to remove, but unless they get destroyed, they will be there another 15 years or so if I'm around to replace them. Then, I fitted an identical finish ring to the outside of the cabinside to hold the panes and protect the sealant from UV. I'll repost the pics in a later post. For the opening port in the sterncastle, I saw no option but to drill holes and use machine screws to hold the piano hinge in place. I used special plexiglass drill bits (a different bit angle that doesn't tend to fracture the glass as it enters), slightly countersunk all holes to relieve stresses, and placed the flathead on the interior portion of the window, well bedded in 4200 to act as a cushion. I used acorn nuts outside, atop the piano hinge, BUT DIDN'T TIGHTEN THEM DOWN UNTIL THE SEALANT CURED, allowing the cushion effect to work for me as the plexi expands and contracts in heat and cold. Also, I used a piece of that electrical sealing tape that you can get that is used to seal coax connectors, underneath the piano hinge, again, for cushion. Your fixed ports look almost identical to mine, except, having a 40, I have one long set in the aft cabin, spanning the additional frame.

It was a royal pain with all the details, but it's worth it after several years if you have no leaks. One less thing to fret about. On your wing tramps, do you ever find the spray from waves in the "tunnel", to be a nuisance?

I am in the process of getting my genoa track and winch drums reanodized. The traveller and cars were too pitted from exposure, and too old to find replacement parts, to do the same, so I'm replacing them with a Harken set. I'll probably do the same with the sail track when I overhaul the mast and rigging this winter or spring. I think you will find the powder coating to be too brittle for the sail tracks, but they should hold up okay for the cleats. I'm quite interested in your success with the synthetics for the rigging, and I'm hoping to hear more as you progress with it.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 18:23   #222

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog
Hello Rann

I have the Cross 28 in Long Beach, Ca. How's the work going on ETAK? It would be great to come by and check her out. What is your email address? I thought i had it with your number at one time but must have lost it.

Kelly.
Cross 28.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 19:46   #223

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
The photos of my fixed port installation are located in the thread: Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit Port lite material
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 20:14   #224

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Nope

Roy, I cannot for the life of me find it. I am pretty adept at finding things usually. Dang!
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 20:20   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Roy, I cannot for the life of me find it. I am pretty adept at finding things usually. Dang!

I believe he was trying to point you at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ial-16411.html
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran