Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 19:21   #1891

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

The DC3 can always do what the SC 20 or 24 can do ... but in reverse they cannot do what the DC3 can do. Remember there is room on the tramps.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 20:02   #1892

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
there were 2 sea clipper 20s built here in St Augustine. There are several other newish small tri designs and they certainly are better camp cruisers than most 20' cats. Seaclipper probably has somewhat better carrying capacity than some of the other designs, but Strike 18 and W 17 are probably a fair bit faster and the Strike perhaps a bit more comfy to sail.
You and your guys built the first SC20's right?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 14:15   #1893

Did you break you arm there Mark
Ross
Old 25-02-2013, 18:45   #1894
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by searunner31 View Post
They have a 5000 btu AC that is 12 volt for about $2,700.00. Don't know any one that has one.
Is that the glacier bay or another brand? the nice thing about the DC type is can be run via a large battery bank to cool the boat in the evening in the tropics with a small Honda generator running if needed. I found a Honda Eu2000 would just start a 6700 btu hatch AC if you ad a boost capacitor to get it started. I think a EU 1000 would run a 5000 btu DC unit via a good battery charger with no problems.

As Mark mentions, cruising in the SE during the summer brings necessary considerations. I used the marine hatch AC when my son was a newborn and we were traveling the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. It was something like over 90 degrees for 45 days or more that summer in 2007.

cheers,
Jeff
Old 25-02-2013, 18:50   #1895
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
You and your guys built the first SC20's right?
another firm here in St Augustine built those boats, but I was loosely associated with them for a short period of time. a W17 was also started, but I believe not completed.

It would be fun to do a class of some sort here in the fall/ winter like Marples and Brown did in Maine a few summers back. there is quite a boatbuilding heritage here, but at somewhat of a low ebb at the moment.
Old 26-02-2013, 07:29   #1896

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Did you break you arm there Mark
Ross

No Ross,
I didn't break it. I have had a misplaced tendon on my middle finger, causing it to roll off of the knuckle when gripping. (A left over injury from a spectacular motorcycle crash, 43 years ago).

They did surgery to hopefully correct this issue. I figured that with the onset of arthritis, I should go ahead and fix what can be fixed!

With my being right handed, and my right hand looking like a mummy, simple things like typing, signing my name, driving my stick shift, or even tying my shoes, are temporarily off line, or difficult at best.

Hopefully, by warm weather, my projects on Delphys can continue.
Mark
Old 26-02-2013, 14:26   #1897

I have been thinking of re doing my Galley also in my 37 Searunner
Just re doing the tops and making a better appearance... though its not essential.
If anybody has a good layout in a Searunner for the Galley please let me know.
It can be done in so many ways which really makes these boats. I have a very good fridge on one side that has proved excellent and works so well from the battery. It is a top down and has 2 compartments.
Also i have a sliding main dinning table that slides out to give so much more beach or table area.
Old 26-02-2013, 16:49   #1898
Marine Service Provider

ross

Is your fridge under the stern castle floor or along the hull side under the counter?
Old 26-02-2013, 17:08   #1899

Along side the hull side making up part of the counter top.
I prefer it there than under the stern castle as its easy to get to standing.
Works a treat for me. And under the stern castle area is great for some stores keeping them cooler maybe. Though in the tropics probably not. I am keen on the tropical area's so a fridge is a must for me... cold beer, easy frozen meals, a lettuce lasts longer with some fruits ... i like good food and good wine sitting in the sterncastle.. cant beat it looking around at the world go past.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:27   #1900
Marine Service Provider

Ross

that is sort of how I was planning to do mine, but was unsure how much space there is for insulation without the box hanging too far into the center of the boat. my boat is quite a bit narrower than a SR 37 as well, but the galley is at the very widest point.

Post a pic if you can.

cheers,
Jeff
Old 27-02-2013, 17:11   #1901

Boatguy30, if I was going to put a generator on I would go with 2000 watt generator, I bought a new battery charger that was 15 amp with a micro processor and my generator would charge it but wasn't enough power for all the micro processors needs and wouldn't desulfate the battery. The onlyreason I even considered a AC was to pull moisture out of the boat to keep mold down. But after living years in the tropic and Africa I p rationally don't think AC is healthy. Remember legionnaires decease came from Air conditioners,

Just my personal opinion since I caught it at a hotel when I came back to the states.
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:14   #1902

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

An update on my reefer project: Nanopore, a manufacturer of vacuum insulated panels (VIPs) just got back to me with a quote for the superinsulation of my refrigerator box of 6 cubic feet volume, of $333 for 12 panels. Since I have to have a minimum order of $1000, I'm going to start the design of the freezer box sooner than expected. If anyone out there wants to share in this order, this is a good time to do it. I have thirty days to send the order in, so send me a PM if you're interested. Nanopore is the company that did the VIPs for Glacier Bay before that company did the big sleep.

Also, here's a comparison of VIPs with styrofoam, polyurethane foam, and fiberglass batting.

Plus, Here's a shot I just took of the box, still unpainted, with a single LED light strip down the middle. I'm going to add one more on each side for a total of three, and an electrical load of 1/3 amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0446.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	55836  
Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:53   #1903

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Roy,
Good price! Ours were many times more expensive/ft.
If these panels have thin foil on them like ours did, they are fragile in installation... so it is best if nothing hard is touching them. We nestled ours between foam sheets, spray foam, and attached all with soft caulk. This way, NOTHING hard touches them.

These foam/vacuum panels are sandwiched within the 100% sealed walls of an epoxy/glassed box. A foil outer surface on the box helps, as does a total seal on the gasketed lid.

The one all foam wall was to pass the refrigeration tube through the box, and the foamed in PVC pipe for this was sealed with Great Stuff.

For an interior surface, that came out like slick gelcoat, we used numerous coats of heavily pigmented WEST epoxy, sanding and tacking before the last one. It is easy to clean, and will never fail.

These super reefers will consume about 1/3rd as much energy as a standard one does, and if you need to, and turn off the freezer function, it cuts consumption in half yet again, functioning as just a refer. Ours has had absolutely no issues for 14 years, and I'm sure yours will be state of the art!
Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___16_05_47.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	55862   Click image for larger version

Name:	075_75_00.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	55863  

Name:	078_78_00.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	55864   Click image for larger version

Name:	077_77_00.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	55865  

Old 28-02-2013, 09:14   #1904

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thanks, Mark! Your experience with VIPs is invaluable. I have been using your guidelines in the construction of my own box, including the white pigment. I've added a couple twists. I installed a piece of pvc tubing and elbows in the two shelves on the sides, where the hull curves. The end nearest the cold plate has a tiny, Radio Shack muffin fan to suck cold air and redistribute it to the upper, aft end of the box. And, I'm playing with the West Marine LED light strips to provide illumination inside. The switching issue hasn't been decided yet. I'll probably just install an exterior switch instead of something automatic and more complicated.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 19:02   #1905

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
It would be fun to do a class of some sort here in the fall/ winter like Marples and Brown did in Maine a few summers back. there is quite a boatbuilding heritage here, but at somewhat of a low ebb at the moment.
You know if you wanted to do it in NC, I have most of the pieces cut and the table made

With any luck there will be progress when it warms up and quits raining. Seriously, I'm starting to wonder why folks are calling me Noah.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran