Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 05:10   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Tried climbing in your dinghy from the water?

We have experienced some very hot weather here in Melbourne Australia recently which have provided some very enjoyable swimming days, whilst
at anchor in our Lagoon 400 last weekend, we had our 3.3 Caribe tender tied up to the stern whilst swimming, so for the first time I tried just for the fun of it to get in the tender from the water, well I could not get in no matter how hard I tried, which made me ponder if I really needed to under different circumstances it could be a problem, I came to the conclusion that I need a foldaway ladder installed to assist in climbing in to the tender from the water, I just wonder has any one else experienced the same problem. Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:12   #2

Re: Tried climbing in your dinghy from the water?

I use the outboard. I step on the anti-cav plate or even on the prop (carefully) and use it as a step in to the boat
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I use the outboard. I step on the anti-cav plate or even on the prop (carefully) and use it as a step in to the boat
I tried using the outboard (Honda 20) as a step but did not work for me.
Old 14-03-2013, 05:20   #4

Struth, it sure was hot here wasn't it?

Sounds like we have something in common; when I get too much time on my hands my thoughts turn to "what new boaty bits can I buy?"

Matt
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:21   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

That is why they make dingy ladders.

Defender.com Search Results: dinghy ladder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dingy ladder_1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	56982   Click image for larger version

Name:	dingy ladder.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	56983  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:21   #6

Maybe you should practice and exercise more. Getting into a dinghy is easy: extend arms, pull hard, give a kick. You should be able to squirm from there. Practice.

Maybe your dinghy has nothing good to grab? I've seen kids step on the painter to get in.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:24   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
We have experienced some very hot weather here in Melbourne Australia recently which have provided some very enjoyable swimming days, whilst
at anchor in our Lagoon 400 last weekend, we had our 3.3 Caribe tender tied up to the stern whilst swimming, so for the first time I tried just for the fun of it to get in the tender from the water, well I could not get in no matter how hard I tried, which made me ponder if I really needed to under different circumstances it could be a problem, I came to the conclusion that I need a foldaway ladder installed to assist in climbing in to the tender from the water, I just wonder has any one else experienced the same problem. Regards Peter
Just saying that this is more about a statment about you than about your dinghy?? Check your upper body strength there is a chance you may be spending too much time in happy hour.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:30   #8

Thanks Daddle, I will practice more but in the meantime I will buy a dinghy ladder, and cut down on happy hour.
Old 14-03-2013, 05:34   #9

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Ha! Yes, we have some experience with this problem. We like to find snorkeling spots away from the mothership so it’s important to us to be able to get back into the dink from the water. It takes some upper body strength to muscle yourself up into the dinghy. I fashioned a simple single step ladder from a 1X4 board and some line. That worked OK for me but the step would swing under the boat when you put your weight on it. My wife had some trouble with this approach and feared that she looked silly in the process. Our final solution was to buy a stainless steel ladder made for this purpose from Defender. It locks into place and will hold its shape when you put your weight on it. It’s kind of pricey but the only solution we found that worked for the admiral.

Hope this helps.
Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 05:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Ha! Yes, we have some experience with this problem. We like to find snorkeling spots away from the mothership so it’s important to us to be able to get back into the dink from the water. It takes some upper body strength to muscle yourself up into the dinghy. I fashioned a simple single step ladder from a 1X4 board and some line. That worked OK for me but the step would swing under the boat when you put your weight on it. My wife had some trouble with this approach and feared that she looked silly in the process. Our final solution was to buy a stainless steel ladder made for this purpose from Defender. It locks into place and will hold its shape when you put your weight on it. It’s kind of pricey but the only solution we found that worked for the admiral.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Thanks Scott, sounds like the ladder is the way to go, not sure if all ribs are the same but mine has handles on the top which are easy to grab, if it only had a second handle below and inside I think that would make it a lot easier to pull ones self in. Regards Peter
Old 14-03-2013, 06:20   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You need to give up some dignity and sort of slither in like a seal would. Get alongside the tube, kick up as hard as you can, get your belly on the tube, tip forward with your bum up in the air while kicking forward and in on your stomach. Make sure your trunks are tied up tight. Having flippers on makes a big difference in the amount of power you can get with your legs--I almost always swim with flippers on anyway. A rope or something to grab and pull helps too.
Old 14-03-2013, 06:34   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tried climbing in your dinghy from the water?

If you've an eyebolt in the transom get a length of 1" line and slide on a length of 1"1/4 hose then make a bowline so the hose is in the bight (foot comfort). Tie the other end off on the eye bolt.
When you want to get out drop the 'step' in the water and if the height is right when you put your foot in the strop your knee against the transom should cancel the under the dinghy tendancy to a large amount. Engine and tube for handholds...
Once in lift it back in board.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 06:34   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Slithering into the dingy is all good until it’s not.
Yes. Flippers do help, but you need upper body strength. Some dingy’s have larger tubes which make getting aboard even with flippers impossible.
Your 1st mate still has to get in the dingy and you can help her, but in the end isn’t it just easier to add a $100 dingy ladder to your $3000 dingy and get aboard just like you would get on the mother ship.

Yes, it's not for everybody, but a perfect solution for most.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 06:40   #14

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

good stuff here. I havent tried to get on my dink yet from the water, but my achillies has a little wood ladder that slides into the transom. gonna try to see if I can get into my dink when I get back to the boat. thanks for a reminder about getting into a dink while in the water. need to know if I can when I need it oneday.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 07:00   #15

I have this dinghy ladder

Up-N-Out Marine Ladders - Dinghy Ladder Models

A little more expensive but stores in very little space. It's rigid when extended so it doesn't go under the dinghy. Comfortable foot pads.

I used always do the seal technique but age and - more importantly - bigger tubes on the new dinghy - make it really hard.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, water