Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tri-vial Tri-maran Questions

Dear trimaran owners, I've got a few questions about multi-hulls (and, in particular "foldable" trimarans like F-27/28) - all maintenance related.

1) While the tri. is on a trailer - can you extend the floats? I.e. will struts be strong enough to hold them in the air (I think the answer is yes, given the loads they are subjected to during movement but still - I'd like to confirm)

2) How would you do that (i.e. what do you use to hold it from tipping over to one side while the other is extended)?

3) Can you haul the tri. out in a boat lift - if so, does it need to be folded for that?

4) Finally - here is why I ask all of the above. How do you go about painting the bottom of the main hull and the floats? It would seem like floats need to be extended to be properly painted and that to paint all of the main hull you'd have to get it hauled out/blocked to cover the areas of trailer support?
Old 06-06-2010, 16:34   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

hmm. either no one knows or these questions are way too basic. still, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2010, 17:57   #3

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Brak, Don't be in such a hurry, I went sailing today. When I do a bottom job I pull the boat on the trailer and bring it home. Backed into the side yard I extend the floats and put a saw horse under each side so it doesn't rotate. I would not leave it that way for an extended period due to the loading on the bottom of the main hull. To lift it off the trailer I have 4 jack stands that extend to 7ft. One under each beam just outboard of the strut attachment per Ian Farrier and lift high enough to pull out the trailer. Supposedly it can remain suspended that way but I put blocks under the bow and stern for peace of mind. My F-31 has 4 lifting eyes for lifting with a crane. They can be lifted with a travel lift folded or open but common sense care should be taken. As a bonus it takes 1.5ga to paint 2 coats on the bottom of the 31. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 19:55   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Patience is not one of my virtues, but I am working on it!

Thanks Dave, I was hoping you'd come through with an answer How was sailing today?
Old 07-06-2010, 13:15   #5

Good evening Brak,

It's all, plus more at www.f-boat.com
Surf the site and you will find all the do's and dont's about the folding system, how to suport the boat off the trailer etc.
The boats are very light and its amazing what you can do with a regular car jack and some supports around the hulls.

Have fun,
Banjo (f9ax).
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:54   #6

Boat: F9A 31' Tri - TigerShark
I've used a travelift twice with the amas folded. The straps were placed under or close to mainhull bulkheads, as was the cribbing (IIRC, we straped around the outside of both amas). If you fold out one hull at a time (even on the trailer) the boat will roll so bracing is required as dave mentioned. If you haul in a busy boatyard, they will likely frown on complete extension due to the extra footprint unless they are in the boonies and have lots of space. You can kick each ama out about 18-24" to allow access to the areas that need painted. Once the amas reach a certain point on their way out though, they will take off on their own so be prepared for this.
Slowing Down is offline   Reply With Quote