Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-12-2011, 15:43   #76
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder

Now thats a practical stern for a monohull. Steve Dashew also provided safe access on his monos.

One of the big plusses fof a cat certainly is the access they provide to the water which at the end of the day is why most people get out on the water.

The safer and more practical this is donw without compromising the seaworthiness of the vessel the better. Seems all new designs of monohulls have inproved their access as well. How well and the safety compromise could still be debatable.

cheers
Indeed, I don't see any problem with sugar scoops/stairways. If anything, they break impact of following waves while being very strong. Also, think about mono's with open stern... not a problem either.

The only trouble we ever had with it was a scumbag hat tried to sneak aboard after swimming over. He quickly changed his mind after seeing what I was going to hit him with

ciao!
Nick.

Old 10-12-2011, 15:45   #77

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Transom Steps on Catamarans

Have no data to back me up but i would think that most marine safety issues stem from navigation and not avoiding the hard bits (reef/rocks).
Totally agree on designs that help the partner to find comfort on board, it helps our argument so much easier....... Cheers Frank

Old 10-12-2011, 15:46   #78

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Indeed, I don't see any problem with sugar scoops/stairways. If anything, they break impact of following waves while being very strong. Also, think about mono's with open stern... not a problem either.

The only trouble we ever had with it was a scumbag hat tried to sneak aboard after swimming over. He quickly changed his mind after seeing what I was going to hit him with

ciao!
Nick.
ROFLMAO...I'm hoping u meant a pussycat? :-)
Old 10-12-2011, 16:06   #79
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
ROFLMAO...I'm hoping u meant a pussycat? :-)
[IMG]http://img.anongallery.org/img/2/9/the-****-is-this-cat.jpg[/IMG]

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-12-2011, 16:09   #80

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Nice pussy cat
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41   #81
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

SV/Jedi, I have no desire to contribute further to thread drift except to correct your efforts at revisionist history: in spite of your denials, you obviously read the other thread regarding my intention to add hull extensions, as there was no reference to it in this thread until you raised it (and opined that as a weekend warrior without cruising equipment, I didn't need them).

As to being 'frustrated' - I am not frustrated that I cannot retire and depart until September 2014 (and indeed, I have much to do in preparation for the same, including yes, adding hull extensions); I am, however, frustrated that I should have to correct the misinformation about myself and my boat that is contained in your posts.

Brad
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That is not summarily true. Modern diesels should not leak or smell. If they do, there is a maintenance issue that should be addressed, or the owner should learn to be more clean. Access is a function of design - I don't have to move any bedding or covers to get to mine. A properly insulated interior engine room does not bleed heat and any heat that is in there is easily removed with a few minutes of engine blower - again, a function of design.

And the above points are equally valid for monos as they are for cats (I REALLY don't understand why people go nuts over where engines are placed in cats - both mono and cat people).

BTW, where is your engine located?

Mark
I agree with you about a lot of bru ha ha concerning where engines are located. It's a good discussion though. Some people are very opinionated about things. Just the way it is... especially on this forum... (wonder why... just a bunch of very self sufficient people! ...)
I dont know about the heat bleeding though... after a long motor, even an insulated engine roome bleeds a lot of heat. Just feel the access cover on your engine after a 10 hour motor. Everything is a compromise in a boat though. Whatever works for you is good!

BTW, where is your engine located? As mentioned above, the engines in my Lagoon 42 cat were aft under large access covers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As mentioned above, the engines in my Lagoon 42 cat were aft under large access covers.
Yeah, I knew that one, I was asking about the boat in your pic. Actually, it was just a not so sly way of pointing out that no matter how one boxes in an engine in a mono, it is still inside the living space of the boat - no different than boxing one in inside a cat. And this doesn't bother anyone with a mono - just the cat people...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 17:18   #84

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Yeah, I knew that one, I was asking about the boat in your pic. Actually, it was just a not so sly way of pointing out that no matter how one boxes in an engine in a mono, it is still inside the living space of the boat - no different than boxing one in inside a cat. And this doesn't bother anyone with a mono - just the cat people...

Mark
Actually large mono's have separate engine rooms. If you look at the Sundeer 64 or Tayana 58, for example, there is a dedicated engine room. An ideal arrangement.

I've owned and sailed on mono's for decades with the 'boxed in' arrangement, and it's really something you put up with as a design constraint. There typically is no other option on a sub-45 foot mono. I don't remember anyone singing it's praises though.

That being said, I'd live with the engine under the bunk again if it was on a boat I really liked in every other respect.
Old 12-12-2011, 20:04   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, large monos have dedicated engine rooms - INSIDE the boat. This is no different than ours, which are in dedicated engine rooms under a bunk.

I don't know how you define engine room, but ours are completely sealed until I open a door to access them, I don't have to move any furniture or disassemble anything to get access, they are heavily sound and heat insulated on all sides, I can walk around the whole engine - what am I missing? Engine rooms on monos are often under galley cabinetry and many of them have reefer/freezers mounted over and around them. How is that different/better than under a bunk?

And have you seen the engine rooms on cats the size of the mono's you list? Completely isolated from the interior and accessed from INSIDE the boat.

Again, cat people are caught up on this topic, but it is a manufactured red herring.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-12-2011, 20:33   #86

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Yes, large monos have dedicated engine rooms - INSIDE the boat. This is no different than ours, which are in dedicated engine rooms under a bunk.

Again, cat people are caught up on this topic, but it is a manufactured red herring.

Mark
You're happy with your configuration. Which is great.

But having valid preferences isn't being caught up on something which is a 'red herring'. No need to be condescending with those who disagree with you.
Old 12-12-2011, 23:31   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Sorry i dont know how to attach piccies yet
When you finish writing in your text then look down the page to find Additional Options, ...and under that as a subheading is "Manage Attachments". Click on that then chose the photo you want to add from somewhere on your computer. Then chose 'upload' and the photo will be added as an attachment.

If the photo you wish to add is not on your computer then download it to your desktop temporarily at least while you make this attachment.

On this forum a 'jpeg image' (most popular) is limited to 400kb (kilobytes) and/or 1600pixels X 1600pixels. But generally you should limit the width to 640 pixels wide.
Old 13-12-2011, 04:24   #88
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Mark
My engine is not in the saloon, nor requires any parts of the boat to be disassembled to gain access (centre cockpit ).....but she was built long before the requirement for creating 27 berths onboard , half of which used to be called simply locker space - and some of which are now called "state rooms" (monos and multis).

But can't say that access is ideal, as I don't have 6 foot triple jointed arms - but everything doable, and without worrying about falling overboard / the engine compartment getting pooped. And simple enough to lift a hatch when on passage to check all is well. A walk around would be very nice - but ain't gonna happen on 30 foot .....boats are all about compromises.

FWIW the worst installation I ever saw was on a large (40'+?) motorboat (fairly new)......for the engines to come out had to pretty much cut out the wheelhouse floor. and roof (yeah, she also had a flybridge ).

But back to the OP , IMO if anyone can't see the potential dangers involved in using those steps when at sea, then that's up to them
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 04:53   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
You're happy with your configuration. Which is great.

But having valid preferences isn't being caught up on something which is a 'red herring'. No need to be condescending with those who disagree with you.
But, I'm being condescending to people who agree with me also!

No problem with preferences, and I would be equally happy with external engines, I just don't understand the debate and passion on this topic about what is "proper", and why this topic isn't debated among mono owners.

Mark

Old 13-12-2011, 04:58   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My engine is not in the saloon, nor requires any parts of the boat to be disassembled to gain access (centre cockpit ).....but she was built long before the requirement for creating 27 berths onboard , half of which used to be called simply locker space - and some of which are now called "state rooms" (monos and multis).

But can't say that access is ideal, as I don't have 6 foot triple jointed arms - but everything doable, and without worrying about falling overboard / the engine compartment getting pooped. And simple enough to lift a hatch when on passage to check all is well. A walk around would be very nice - but ain't gonna happen on 30 foot .....boats are all about compromises.

FWIW the worst installation I ever saw was on a large (40'+?) motorboat (fairly new)......for the engines to come out had to pretty much cut out the wheelhouse floor. and roof (yeah, she also had a flybridge ).

But back to the OP , IMO if anyone can't see the potential dangers involved in using those steps when at sea, then that's up to them

So, if I summarize this correctly - you own a mono, your engine is inside your living space (I never mentioned saloon) and you have no problem with it?

Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: