Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 19:28   #76

I just replaced my tramps on the st Francis 44 cat. This is an offshore cat and after mich research found dyneema mesh the best way to go. It has webbing on it but it was very heavy and even with 2 in holds still hold alot of wAter when a large wave hits. I had qoutes from tramp makers of about 3 k for a new one. So I found net systems and bought the dyneema netting. They also sold netting to the oracle boat. The dyneema netting is very comfortable It took me 5 hr to put it on and looks great. Even if ya bough one with a premade border ya still have to weave it on and That iswhere the time is ... So I saved 2,000 bucks for maybe 2 hrs of time saving. So At 1000per hr well worth it. ReseArch it and fnd out about dyneema netting . No it does not have a sewn border on it but I have the net right up against the hull so you cannot get your foot suck in between the hull and the net like on alot of cats . Trampoline netting on an offshore cat is not even an option. You and loose the boat.

Old 23-06-2010, 20:45   #77
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I just installed a new mesh net that has 32% openness. I had wanted to go with a more open, blue water mesh but was advised that most cruising cats are currently using this square mesh for comfort. It cost $1575 total for the two sides and it took about 4 hours to install. It's very nice.

What I'm probably going to do is when I get ready for my transatlantic crossings, I'm going to purchase the ocean net as it is much cheaper, around $1000, and string it for the crossing. Then when I get to the Med, I'll put the square hole mesh back on. I figure for a grand and a couple hours, I've got comfort and safety when I need it.

http://www.multihullnets.com/product...s/openoklg.jpg
http://www.multihullnets.com/product...s/meshsqlg.gif

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 06:16   #78
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had a heavy 2 in. net from the previous owner. It cut you like a cheese slicer on your feet & body. I put a new net on just a couple of weeks before we left. I really liked the dyneema, but it was so costly, and others items had priority.

I went with 3/8ths opening from West Coat Netting for comfort. I also had it UV protected. Some left over Sunbrella, and some grommets. I probably have very comfortable tramps for about $350.00 installed with all new line also for lacing.

The only downfall I can see is being able to see the ground tackle well. I need to be on the crossbeam at all times now, and not when just nesting the anchor as before. I will type I like the new net excluding this one factor, and the customer service at WCN was very VERY SLOW..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 14:51   #79

I went through the thread, and didn't see anyone linking to this blog, so here it is, should be more fuel to the fire:

Trampolines Catamaran Concepts
Old 24-06-2010, 22:32   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvondo View Post
I just replaced my tramps on the st Francis 44 cat. This is an offshore cat and after mich research found dyneema mesh the best way to go. It has webbing on it but it was very heavy and even with 2 in holds still hold alot of wAter when a large wave hits. I had qoutes from tramp makers of about 3 k for a new one. So I found net systems and bought the dyneema netting. .
It seems, cvondo, that not all dyneema net suppliers are equal. I'd be real interested to know how well the Net Systems dyneema trampoline wears. I reckon we have another year or so left of ours (not made by Net Systems) - if we keep up the mending, but they are not pretty as it is.
Old 25-06-2010, 05:51   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Nautilass

can you please send a few pictures of the webbing , we sell Dyneema webbing and the first net installed over 6 years ago is still in very good condition, what is the mesh size,the way it is woven and how was the connection made ?
Dyneema is very UV resistant and we give a 5 year guarantee .

Quote:
Eight Year Warranty on Dyneema Trampoline Webbing
We have developed a new Dyneeema trampoline webbing for catamarans and trimarans that is 100 % UV stable.
We make it in
10 mm mesh size or 3/8 inch
17 mm mesh size or 5/8 inch
25 mm mesh size or 1 inch
the color is white , it is machine wash able is lighter than water, 330 grams per squire meter or 3/4 lbs per 11 squire feet.
The stretch is no more than 2 %.
We give 8 years warranty on this fantastic product
Greetings

African Cats: comfortable lightweight performance leisure catamarans
fastcat435
Hi FastCat - Your warranty was for 8 years now it is only 5 Years. That's nearly 50% less. Am curious as to why the reduction if your "fantastic product" is as fantastic as you claim. Can you be a little more specific as to just what your warranty covers?
Old 28-06-2010, 13:06   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
I used 1 1/2" mesh polyester with UV coating from West Coast Netting. Total cost with shipping was $100 for 2 9'x9' panels. To me it is comfortable underfoot. (Equivalent Dyneema was over $1000). Agree with I2f about the customer service. They took a few weeks to get around to it then sent me the wrong mesh. Have them repeat the order back to you and order well ahead of time!

Mike
Old 28-06-2010, 16:20   #83

Thanks all - some interesting feedback. As stated, we have about a year to source new tramp material before the existing ones will need replacing, so time to check out your recommendations. Only interested in an open weave, but definitely need something that is durable, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig boorman View Post
I have a use for old tramps so, if you are tossing them please let me know.
Will do, but am intrigued as to what use you have in mind.
Old 28-06-2010, 20:11   #84
DtM

Mike,

Did you get the panels that size specifically for your application or is that the size they come in.

Our tramp is probably close to 20 feet wide and 10 feet long. would we get that in a single piece?

daniel
Old 28-06-2010, 20:37   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
Daniel,

Here's a link to the stuff I used:
West Coast Netting - Products - RAW NETTING - Woven #42H - 1 1/2
I don't think there would be any problem getting 10x20 in a single piece. In fact, I got the impression that all the netting was cut or woven to order.

Mike
Old 29-06-2010, 09:58   #86
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
I used the trampolines to drag folks through the water slowly. Can't post photos but see a photo here www.restlessnative.com People have a blast.
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 10:34   #87

Well I never!
Old 29-06-2010, 12:10   #88
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
They cut mine in an 18ft. length. I would assume it could be cut longer.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 14:41   #89
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
5 years full warranty and 8 years pro rate UV warranty.
We can send you a sample if you want.
greetings

Please send us some pictures of your worn Dyneema Trampoline , I am curious since that would be a first !!!!!!!!
Who made this trampoline ?
Old 01-07-2010, 15:16   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
5 years full warranty and 8 years pro rate UV warranty.
We can send you a sample if you want.
greetings

No thank you, Fastcat435.

Quote:
Please send us some pictures of your worn Dyneema Trampoline , I am curious since that would be a first !!!!!!!!
A first? Hmm ... I don't think so. Two of your boats are now in Grenada. African Seawing and Butterfly. Both are under 5 years old. Both appear to have issues with their tramps - as anyone passing by can see. African Seawing has some large holes in her tramps, and the other appears to have several smaller ones, but has made efforts to repair them.

Any CF members who are based in Grenada may well chance across either boat, and will be able to endorse this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: