Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 23-08-2007, 12:12   #46

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46
Hi,

Fabloc has never impressed me. It is used extensively on Corsair Tris. I have manufactured many wing nets out of this material. The only way that fabloc can really hold up is if it is coated, and you re-coat whenever necessary. I even made prototypes for beach cats without real success (too stretchy)

The Sunrise net you are referring is probably better than fabloc. The only way to get really sturdy nets is to get away from the knit netting and go with nets/webbing etc. Even the tramp mesh is stronger than either fablock or the Sunrise offshore, but is unsuitable for open seas. Between the two I'd go with the offshore, but I would seriously consider something else for a blue water boat.

bryan
bryanweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 12:12   #47

Hi,

Fabloc has never impressed me. It is used extensively on Corsair Tris. I have manufactured many wing nets out of this material. The only way that fabloc can really hold up is if it is coated, and you re-coat whenever necessary. I even made prototypes for beach cats without real success (too stretchy)

The Sunrise net you are referring is probably better than fabloc. The only way to get really sturdy nets is to get away from the knit netting and go with nets/webbing etc. Even the tramp mesh is stronger than either fablock or the Sunrise offshore, but is unsuitable for open seas. Between the two I'd go with the offshore, but I would seriously consider something else for a blue water boat.

bryan
Old 23-08-2007, 12:18   #48

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Thanks for that info Brian. I was hoping to tap into your wisdom :-)

Out of interest, what would be your preferences for blue water?

Cheers, Cameron

PS - Seems we're all double posting | double posting
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:00   #49

Boat: Lagoon 37
I have not been following this thread, so I am not sure if anyone mentioned the following Multihull Nets and Trampolines for Catamarans and Trimarans, main page
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 15:46   #50

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanweaver
Hi,

bryan
Same same

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/93444-post43.html

Fabloc (Bainbridge) is crap. Looks nice, and soft underfoot, but rotten garbage.

Dave
Old 23-08-2007, 19:57   #51

If I were going to set up an ocean capable boat, i would stick with open netting. I prefer knotless netting, but knotted is readily available. The knots will weaken the tensile strength of the strand by 40% or so. The major problem is getting a net that is heavy enough to handle the loads yet has a very small square. Open netting will catch toes and things, and isn't the most comfortable after sitting on it a while. Most netting sources are from other industries such as fishing, sports netting or safety netting so is always seems like a challenge to find the right combination of desired features.

Nothing is perfect, but open netting seems to be the best for letting the forces of waves pass through rather than transfer them to the boat. Open netting also does not create as much windage as anything else either.

I have used spectra netting as well. While it seems like the perfect choice (small net opening size, very low stretch, light weight) it strings taut like a tennis racquet, but is very slippery and very expensive.

I don't really favor webbing because webbing tends to be very heavy, takes on windage and wave forces and is expensive to fabricate properly (even though the webbing itself is inexpensive). Webbing is strong and easy to walk on. A well fitted webbing tramp does look good though.

Whatever you choose, do not go with nylon. It will stretch and absorb water. Nylon, while being stronger off the line, degrades faster than polyester after time under UV exposure.

bryan
Old 23-09-2007, 09:03   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
At African Cats we produce Dyneema Tramps , lightweight very strong UV resistend but !!! expensive the materila costs euro 75.00 per squire meter but it lasts and lasts and is comfortable it is webbing and the sizes available are 10 mm and 15 mm mesh size
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 08:19   #53

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Call and ask for Steve Patterson. They weave Dyneema as well as other material in a knotless configuration. If you are anywhere near Seattle you should go see the machine that does the weaving, it is a mind blower.

NET Systems Inc.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 08:22   #54

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
NET Systems Inc.

Better page. Steve tells me they sell to the big round world Multis and have never had a complaint or return
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 10:31   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Best way to attach the Dyneema Trampolines

The way we attach the netting to our cats is different but usable by everyone and the advantages are;
Less weight ( 330 grams per squire meter )
Even tightening because of the rods.
Fast to install and as tight as guitar strings .
And the netting lasts almost forever , the oldest net we have is now 6 years old , 75000 NM cruised in all types of weather and still like new.
Because of its durability is is the cheapest netting for sale
I have attached how we install the Dyneema netting to out cats
It takes 2 persons one day to make and install our netting on the FastCat 405 , 435 or 565 and you do not have to be a professional

We use 6 mm stainless steel hollow tubing with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm the end are welded shot with a stainless ball The rod created is pulled thru the 10 mm mesh and the connecting lines are then tied to the cats sliders ( PS WE use Nylon sliders with a stainless insert because the pure nylon ones always break , not if but when and the time when they do is never a good one)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyneema attachment4.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	2337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyneema attachment5.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	2338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyneema attachment6.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	2339  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:56   #56
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Because of demand we will start to produce Dyneema trampolines with mesh sizes
in 15 , 20 and 25 mm all with a strenght of 500 kilo,s per squire meter so now we will also have trampoline material for trimarans that normally want larger mesh sizes.
The weight of all these trampolines will be 330 grams per squire meter
Old 13-01-2008, 08:37   #57

I used to occasionally purchase nets from Net Systems for client boats. At the time I was getting spectra net. It was expensive, but actually was less expensive than webbing (labor intensive). One complaint was that spectra was really slippery, and when tensioned it was like walking on a tennis racquet.
Old 02-09-2009, 20:43   #58

Boat: Farrier F82R Tri
Trampoline material for Farrier F82R Trimaran.
I've recently purchased a 6yr old F82R and I'm looking to replace both the wingnets and bownets. She currently has very undersized Fablok wingnets, and some sort of nylon or polyester open netting for bownets.

I'm interested in the Dyneema nets, however the stainless steel or rope edging is not practical on the tri because of the need to untie part of each net from the beams in order to fold the wings for trailering. I've only seen photos on the African Cats site, not been able to see the net "in the flesh". Is it possible to sew an edge with grommets onto the Dyneema, and still end up with a good smooth and strong finished net?

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Spectra and Dyneema as some websites I have visited use these names interchangably. Bryan mentioned the slipperiness of Spectra netting. Is this also the case with the Dyneema nets?

Another fabric I've been looking at is the Ferrari Précontraint polyester mesh:
Innova - Applications - Marine
Innova - Applications - Marine
Does anyone have any experience with this fabric on Cats or Tri's?

Thanks everyone for any advice you can provide.
Audacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 22:31   #59
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The difference between Spectra and Dyneema are uv resistancy, Dyneema is uv resistant.
Dyneema is not slippery , I do not know if Spectra is , we produce the webbing in 3 different mesh sizes , 9 mm 12 mm and 17 mm and yes you can sew an edge with grommets onto the Dyneema, and end up with a good smooth and strong finished net?
We do send out samples of the netting so just drop us an E mail with the request.
info@africancats.com greetings gideon
Old 03-09-2009, 00:24   #60

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
NET Systems Inc.

Better page. Steve tells me they sell to the big round world Multis and have never had a complaint or return
Yep.
Looks like the stuff I got in Oz
It was a black fishing net, knot less and woven like the pic

Fantastic stuff lasted for years and years and was cheap as chips.

Hard to come by here at the time