Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 08:35   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Tramp Styles and Suppliers

Admiral's heel just broke through the tramp of Cat Tales. No diet jokes, please.

Looking for good and bad news regarding what is on the market. Existing tramp is a stock product for 1996 Fountaine Pajot Tobago 35, purchased in Martinique in 2006. We do not know the original supplier.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Tramp Styles and Suppliers

I would highly recommend https://www.multihullnets.com . They made my current net on the A-cat, and I just ordered new nets for my Corsair from them. Easy to work with, good prices, and very high quality.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:50   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

I got my nets replaced with these guys...

https://www.multihullnets.com/Produc...HMeshNets.aspx

They have a huge inventory of templates and for my make and year of boat they had three or four different hole configuration options. It's handy not having to bother with making your own template.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:53   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Thanks for the recommendation. Can you provide the styles you chose, why, and how it is holding up?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 18:24   #5

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I was going to say "Try SUNRISE" but then realized it's the same company as 'multihullnets'.

They didn't have a template for the Nautitech 40 tramp so there was a detailed exchange of measurements and sketches by email (it's an unusual shape) and the final product fitted perfectly. After 4 years there's just a small sign of the rubberized coating wearing off the netting and I wish I could touch up but I expect it would be difficult to transport the coating (which is supplied by Sunrise) by courier.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:17   #6

Sunrise makes excellent nets, I just pulled my nets off my 93 Farrier...I don't know how old they were, but I would guess close to 10+ years??? I just started dissecting them because I am going to scratch the DIY itch. If I wasn't going to DIY, I would surely buy from Sunrise again.

If interested in DIY, I am happy to chime in regarding what I've learned in my materials search.

Cheers
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 11:56   #7

Boat: Marples 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-hulls View Post

If interested in DIY, I am happy to chime in regarding what I've learned in my materials search.

Cheers

I would be interested in any info you have as this is on my to do list.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 23:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
I would be interested in any info you have as this is on my to do list.
Hi CGirvan,

I explored options to replace the wing nets on my F9ax.

I finally put my heel through the nets, and felt I didn't want the liability of someone going through...

It had sunrise nets, and I have nothing but good things to say about their products...but I wanted to try to save a few bucks, and own a Pfaff 130 sewing machine...

There are many options for open netting, from Dyneema up in the PNW, to spectra, and then knotted or woven poly or nylon. I found West Coast Nets to have a pretty good selection and I ordered some of their netting for my bows. One thing I didn't do for the open netting was to request samples, but I do recommend it, and most folks send them free or very inexpensively.

Most F31/Corsair 31 use what sunrise calls "coated polyester mesh" and that is what was on my boat. I'm sure those nets were 10+ years old, could have been 20...Fabloc was the original supplier...and seems to have been sold...without a retail option that I could find...I called one other manufacturer and the minimum was huge...so, I'll have to say...Sailrite seems to have a very similar product, and the price is right, and the material would be easy to sew and I would purchase the coating Sunrise sells if I were to go that route.

I chose to bite the bullet and purchased the square hole mesh from Sailrite. It's slightly less open (32% vs 40%) is fairly expensive, but has the longest warrantee (on Sunrise) out of all the meshes, and is very strong. I also had it on an F27 and although it can be a bit slippery...it's very comfortable and durable. I guess the only other downside is that it's a bit heavy...

Sailrite also has grommets and a coated fabric that looks perfect for the edges.

I also inquired with Sunrise, and they are also willing to sell bulk fabric, and were very helpful with my inquires.

I have no financial interest in any of these folks...

Cheers
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 02:43   #9

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

Hi
I replaced the nets on my cat a few years ago with dyneema braided (not knotted) small mesh fishing net - should last indefinitely as not damaged by the UV light.
I wanted i can supply photos of them & my finishing/attachment method.
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 03:04   #10

Boat: Crowther 150

Would like to see how you attached your dyneema nets kiwidave
multihullnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 04:03   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Hhmm, I had the opposite experience with Multihullnets. Their price was 3x the price of a sail loft in South Africa (even after shipping).

I ended up having Tony from Ullman Sails make ours out of Supertramp material. That was 3 years ago and they still look like brand new. We have since have multiple buddy boats get tramps made by him with the same good results and price.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 04:12   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Supplier out of France has the templates for all Fp products great pricing too
Google France trampoline multihulls, they show a Tobago tramp for 400ish, euros.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 06:56   #13

We just bought a roll of dyneema net on line, cut it with a hot knife and laced the edges with 6mm dyneema cord, no sewing, no stitching, difficult to do when boat is in the water working from a dinghy below, so looks a bit rough around the edges on the underside, will tidy it up when we get hauled out next.

https://www.go2marine.com/product/19...a-netting.html
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 10:41   #14

Boat: Marples 37

Thanks for the info Multi-hulls.

Another question I have about these tramps.

I've heard people mention treating their tramps with some sort of protectorant. Do any of you do this and what product are you using?
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 13:24   #15

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
Thanks for the info Multi-hulls.

Another question I have about these tramps.

I've heard people mention treating their tramps with some sort of protectorant. Do any of you do this and what product are you using?
If you order Supertramp material, it requires nothing for treatment. Its also the most comfortable trampoline we have ever walked on or layed on. However it does have is drawbacks as its a pretty tight weave and not awesome for serious offshore passages (like the Atlantic). We have crossed from Miami to Grenada with it, no problem.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramp