Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:00   #1

Trailering a Trimaran in the US

I'm trying to determine if I need to stay under 'no permit required' size on the purchase of a trailerable trimaran (such as Corsair 970 or F33) for seasonal transport in the States. Since I plan on transport just twice in a season I wonder how big a deal/expense it is to permit for a 'wide load' and thus own a wider/roomier Farrier F33AX. Does anybody have experience or thoughts on this? Appreciate!!
projobshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Trailering a trimaran in the US

Used to haul 10' wide sailboats all over the country. Never got permits. Was stopped onnce in 200,000 miles. Your experience may vary.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You didn't say where you are, I believe some parts of the US are more tolerant than others, down south here with all the wide farm equipment on the roads etc., I don't believe cops even bother, unless there is an accident or something.
Some States 8' is the max, most allow 8.5' I believe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:55   #4

I'm in Pa. Trailering would typical be to Great Lakes and Annapolis. Thanks for the replies thus far, but I don't want to do 'illegally'. That way when some ding dong runs into the trailer on the road and my insurance company worms out of paying because I was 'not legal', they don't end up with my boat for settlement ( if you know what I mean)!!!!
projobshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:43   #5

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

I own 8'6" wide Cat2Fold. It is a big load. It would be nice on the water if it were wider. And, it's already such a large load that a foot or two of extra width wouldn't hurt much (besides legalities and permits)...
That said, I have a friend with an F9RX who tows every year from B.C. To Mexico and has never ever gotten permits, and has never ever gotten any heat.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:43   #6

I have a friend who is a bit of a kleptomaniac. He is finally seeing a therapist about it. Meantime he has been shoplifting for almost 40 years now and has never been caught.

Does that mean it's okay, and that anyone else who wants to do so can shoplift with complete impunity?
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Need to know more.

While to size of the boat is important most LEOs first look at the vehicle towing and the trailer the boat is on. They will also be interested in the type of drivers license you have.

There have been threads about towing boats in interstate highways verses on back roads.

To directly answer your question the permits are issued by state DOTs and differ state to state. There also may be local permits required if you get off interstate and inside a city where towing a wide load may only be allowed during certain hours (often from 11:00PM to 6:00AM). Your best bet is to call up the DOTs in the states you are passing through and asked about the cost and requirements for towing a wide load. Some states require a commercial drivers license if a wide load is being towed. Same goes for contacting any big cities if you are using their streets.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Just a quick note the Corsair 970 is legal without a permit anywhere in the US (8'6" is the limit), the F33 (9'6") requires a permit.

Every state has their own permit requirements so there really isn't a good single answer for you. In most states under 10' is a pretty easy one, and you don't need chase cars and all that mess, over 10' is when it starts to really problematic.

It might be worth calling some routing companies and see what it would cost for your expected trips for the F33.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have a friend who is a bit of a kleptomaniac. He is finally seeing a therapist about it. Meantime he has been shoplifting for almost 40 years now and has never been caught.

Does that mean it's okay, and that anyone else who wants to do so can shoplift with complete impunity?

No.
And now that you've told on your friend, does that make you an accomplice to the crimes?
Can you legally masturbate in your state? (assuming a U.S. Resident)...
Just because the world is getting more and more regulated, doesn't mean you can't go through life with a brain and think for yourself.
An example was given, not necessarily condoned.
Live your own life.
Takes your own chances.
-Brian

By the way, I towed my 36' x 8'6" catamaran 1500 miles with no insurance on the cat.
Shouldn't that be against the law er something?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:22   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Towing restrictions by state:

Towing World Official Website

I owned a Telstar for a while. It required the amas be extended prior to launch. That meant I needing a deep and wide ramp. Not many fit the bill.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:28   #11

Boat: Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Just a quick note the Corsair 970 is legal without a permit anywhere in the US (8'6" is the limit), the F33 (9'6") requires a permit.
It's a thought, but can you make a trailer that angles the F33 to keep the actual width across down to the towing limit? I know I've seen Cats hauled this way in the past.
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
Just because the world is getting more and more regulated, doesn't mean you can't go through life with a brain and think for yourself.
My, my. A bit defensive, aren't we? I guess I struck a nerve.

It just amazes me how often, and on what a wide variety of topics, people will recommend to others that it is probably okay to break the law. If the OP decides to break the law, based on your comments, and then gets caught, are you going to cover his legal expenses?

No, I didn't think so.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:15   #13

Quote:

It just amazes me how often, and on what a wide variety of topics, people will recommend to others that it is probably okay to break the law. If the OP decides to break the law, based on your comments, and then gets caught, are you going to cover his legal expenses?

No, I didn't think so.

Don,
Respectfully, not being defensive, nor am I recommending anything, just sharing a real life example.
Here is a hypothetical question...
What would you do if you lived 1/2 a mile from your local boat ramp and you had a 10-12' trailer boat in a state that would charge a bunch a $$$?
I know what I'd do...everyone else can make up their own mind.
Cheers,
B
Old 09-05-2014, 12:18   #14

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

'recommend' ?? Some have just provided information.

I have a car trailer that the permanent license plate fell off 20 years ago,
it also has no fenders or brakes (that work). I've used it extensively, and have NEVER been pulled over towing it, and I've had cops following behind me MANY times.
On the other hand, I've been pulled over and ticketed for not having my seat belt on in a residential street.

Quote:

No, I didn't think so.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
No.
And now that you've told on your friend, does that make you an accomplice to the crimes?
An example was given, not necessarily condoned.
Live your own life.
Takes your own chances.
-Brian

By the way, I towed my 36' x 8'6" catamaran 1500 miles with no insurance on the cat.
Shouldn't that be against the law er something?
My favorite quote for all situations that are dubious is from Samuel Johnson. "Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."
blighhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran