Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 15:56   #61

Re: Took a Bullet at Midnight...Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
If that happened here in Australia, the police would arrive immediately to protect its citizens and arrest the gun owner.
The police here in the states would do the same thing, and sometimes they can identify but sometimes it's just not possible. There is no doubt in my mind that if they identify someone they would go to jail absolutely they would.
Kita is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 16:04   #62
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Glad you are ok.
After you repair put a clear bullet shot sticker on the spot. Good future story.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 16:23   #63

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have been "rained" twice in my own backyard by No 6 shot rattling down through the oak leaves. It's not nice.

I just pulled the end tab out of a box of 50 Remington standard velocity 22 caliber long rifle cartridges, and it says "RANGE - ONE MILE BE CAREFUL!".

What don't people understand?
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 17:17   #64

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
The police here in the states would do the same thing, and sometimes they can identify but sometimes it's just not possible. There is no doubt in my mind that if they identify someone they would go to jail absolutely they would.
In my residential neighborhood, where it's illegal to discharge fire arms, it's been a normal occurrence to hear gun shots. Year round, Holidays or not. We report it, but we and the police have no clue what exact house the shots were fired from. There's never an action to jail anyone. It's not crime related, just a yahoo shooting a gun. It's nearly impossible to peruse unless the police sat on the street waiting for it to happen. That's hardly practical. They can't be sitting on street for multiple nights just waiting. So it's not law enforcement's lack of effort totally, they do respond to the complaints. They aren't miracle workers. And they probably would not go to jail. They'd be fined, maybe. Not sure what state you live in but here in my state they absolutely would not go to jail.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 17:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
In my residential neighborhood, where it's illegal to discharge fire arms, it's been a normal occurrence to hear gun shots. Year round, Holidays or not. We report it, but we and the police have no clue what exact house the shots were fired from. There's never an action to jail anyone. It's not crime related, just a yahoo shooting a gun. It's nearly impossible to peruse unless the police sat on the street waiting for it to happen. That's hardly practical. They can't be sitting on street for multiple nights just waiting. So it's not law enforcement's lack of effort totally, they do respond to the complaints. They aren't miracle workers. And they probably would not go to jail. They'd be fined, maybe. Not sure what state you live in but here in my state they absolutely would not go to jail.
I probably should have been more clear,what I ment was if someone was hurt they would go to jail if they can identify them & they would put forth much more effort into locating them...but you are absolutely right in what you have stated.....
Kita is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 17:44   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I probably should have been more clear,what I ment was if someone was hurt they would go to jail if they can identify them & they would put forth much more effort into locating them...but you are absolutely right in what you have stated.....
Yup! And until an idiot yahoo actually harms someone we just have to tolerate their absurd behavior. We do have recreational gun ranges where they can get their ya-yas out. But no, they prefer to shoot off their back deck. Let us all know they have a big gun. Then they are so, ever so surprised, when a criminal breaks into their house to steal the gun they advertised! LOL
Gadagirl is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 18:18   #67

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Anybody ever been in Suva for Dewali? No guns but full contact fireworks.
Tetepare is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 18:58   #68

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I just had a look at the CDC statistics relative to gun violence. It turns out that for the years 2011 through 2015, the average number of deaths runs at a bit over 33,000, and that there are almost double the number of suicides to homicides. Additionally, the numbers of injuries is double the number of deaths, and that represents a lot of damage.

Ann
Without checking, and with a definite desire not to turn this into another thread about guns rather than irresponsible human behavior, your stats completely ignore the point, and strongly suggest that 33,000 reported deaths can be broken down to ~22,000 suicides, and ~11,000 homicides. If the injuries follow form (which I doubt) the added 66,000 would break down to 22,000 suicides, and 44,000 suicides. All in all, I suspect most of these are land deaths, and have nothing to do with cruising. MODERATOR. Time to close this one.
Old 01-01-2018, 19:24   #69

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
Apropos to nothing, I found this article interesting:

Three percent of Americans own 50% of the guns.
Look at the source...

I sincerely hope you do some further research before believing that.

With regard to irresponsible behaviour, the same thing could be applied to idiots shining lasers at aircraft pilots !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 19:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
Apropos to nothing, I found this article interesting:

Three percent of Americans own 50% of the guns.

That's rich as in too much sweetener
willpower1 is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 19:56   #71

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
If that happened here in Australia, the police would arrive immediately to protect its citizens and arrest the gun owner.
Australia is a relatively civilised country with an interest in protecting its citizens vs the bank balance of weapons manufacturers.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 20:01   #72
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
.... strongly suggest that 33,000 reported deaths can be broken down to ~22,000 suicides, and ~11,000 homicides. If the injuries follow form (which I doubt) the added 66,000 would break down to 22,000 suicides, and 44,000 suicides. ......
Hmm.... not sure why you think additional 66,000 must all be attributed to suicides - maybe there is reason to support this view but it escapes me.

Happy the OP dodged a bullet this time
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 04:47   #73

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce v View Post
I am not trying to be insulting but licensing or decrying the sales of guns w/o some sort of governmental regulation is not only inappropriate, its unconstitutional. Reality tells me that regulation does not stop the thief, thug or low life from getting his/her hands on a gun. The black market is, was and will always be a source for those who wish to get one (in today's world even the mentally derange have that access). Taking the guns away from those who are competent and respectful of the laws and regulations in no way has any impact on the intended audience to which you refer. It's more like taking your driver's license away because the village idiot got drunk, stole a car, and went for a joy ride w/o a license of his own. After he gets in an accident, the powers that be decide to deactivate and secure the license of all in the village. Ridiculous? Of course but no more so than gun control.. I do not condone reckless abandon with guns but neither do I condone efforts to control their use. People kill people, not guns.
So, a mentally ill USA citizen should still be allowed to bear arms?
belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 04:53   #74

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce v View Post
I am not trying to be insulting but licensing or decrying the sales of guns w/o some sort of governmental regulation is not only inappropriate, its unconstitutional. Reality tells me that regulation does not stop the thief, thug or low life from getting his/her hands on a gun. The black market is, was and will always be a source for those who wish to get one (in today's world even the mentally derange have that access). Taking the guns away from those who are competent and respectful of the laws and regulations in no way has any impact on the intended audience to which you refer. It's more like taking your driver's license away because the village idiot got drunk, stole a car, and went for a joy ride w/o a license of his own. After he gets in an accident, the powers that be decide to deactivate and secure the license of all in the village. Ridiculous? Of course but no more so than gun control.. I do not condone reckless abandon with guns but neither do I condone efforts to control their use. People kill people, not guns.
Well, this argument has a major contra: there are many other countries (in fact most if not all other western developed countries) with strict gun control and the number of firearms incidents is a minuscule fraction of the USA numbers..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-02 um 13.55.58.png
Views:	82
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	161404  
crankysailor is offline   Reply
Closed Thread