Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 16:06   #1

Tomcat 6.2 catamaran

Hi, looking for owners of the Tomcat 6.2 catamaran. I just bought one and will pick it up next week. We need to form some sort of communication to discuss our boats. Let me know Thanks
osbornemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:10   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Re: Tomcat 6.2 catamaran

Congratulations!!! What hull number is she and can you post some photos when you pick her up??
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:55   #3

Hi Tropic Cat, The boat is a 2001 and I will be picking it up here in Florida. Its' home port will be Punta Gorda. I want to polish and wax, and put new antifouling on before I wet the boat. I also like to take all the lines off and clean them. Then it will be ready for the water. Besides the best sailing starts about the end of September as you know being a Florida resident.
Old 09-08-2014, 19:10   #4
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornemc View Post
Hi Tropic Cat, The boat is a 2001 and I will be picking it up here in Florida. Its' home port will be Punta Gorda. I want to polish and wax, and put new antifouling on before I wet the boat. I also like to take all the lines off and clean them. Then it will be ready for the water. Besides the best sailing starts about the end of September as you know being a Florida resident.
Or the middle of October before the northerlies kick in. I'd love to see the photos!!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 07:51   #5

Boat: Tomcat 6.2

We have a TomCat 6.2. We bought it in 2010 and sail on Barnegat Bay in NJ. Would love to connect. Sounds like I'm a little late to post. Have you picked it up yet?
Baybaby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 15:57   #6

I'm looking to buy a tomcat 6.2. Are you, or do you know of anyone that has one for sale. Any year any location.
Thanks
Tomstender 5613945534
Tomstender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 19:48   #7

Sorry I don't know of any for sale. There are only I think 35 or so made. It took me 6 years of looking before I found mine. You will love the boat I wouldn't get rid of mine at all. However there was a guy out in Nevada who advertises on ebay that had one about a year ago. His tag was something like multihuller 832. You should also find him on cruisers forum, also check out all of Craigslist. If I hear of one I will let you know. Good Luck in your search. Graham Osborne
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17   #8

Thanks Graham,
Very kind of you
Best regards,
Tom stender
Tomstender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 12:54   #9

Still would love to connect to other TomCat 6.2 sailors. We have Hull #33. The last I heard there were 46 out there somewhere on the water. We are in NJ and sail on Barnegat Bay. We are very late getting her in the water this year, but next week could be it!
Old 18-07-2015, 15:07   #10

I sail out of Punta Gorda. Charlotte harbor is fantastic sailing. My boat is slowly being modified. I have taken the Yamaha and all of the steering off of the boat and I am going to a Tohatsu 6 hp motor. I still use the rudder motor setup and love it. Mine works perfectly. I have removed the seats, replaced lights with LED, built a crude mast raising system to see if it works. Now need to build it so it looks nice. My next projects are a anchor holder, and a bridle for the anchor. I am also thinking of raising the mast higher say 16 inches so that I can walk around on the boat instead of ducking under the boom. Also this would give me more room for a bimini that could also be used for a tent for cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast raising 004.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	105576   Click image for larger version

Name:	mast raising 005.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	105577  

Old 26-08-2015, 20:45   #11

Hi Graham,

Patrick here. I bought the Telstar from you and the you helped me immeasurably by reselling it for me when I was in the hospital.

I was just down in Port Charlotte looking at a Hirondelle catamaran.
Didn't buy that one but bought another in Savannah.

Had three good years with my Tomcat before I decided I wanted to cruise. I changed the way they did the rudder and the centerboard to make it easier to raise and lower both. I also built a pair of "training wheels" that make setting up the boat much easier. Finally, I designed a mast raising system that allowed me to raise the mast by myself.

I'll be selling my Tomcat (which is in New Jersey). I'll miss her sparking performance but a "real" head was crucial for cruising with my daughter and girlfriend.
Coastal.Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 05:27   #12

Good to see you up and about. How much for the Tomcat? I have had a few people ask me where they can buy one. Maybe I can help you with the sale. Did you buy that Hirondelle that was in Georgia, looked nice in photos. Graham
Old 27-08-2015, 06:33   #13

Hi there! I also have a TomCat 6.2 here in NJ. Are you up near NYC? I saw one in a marina in JC several years ago. We are now thinking of potentially moving up to a Telstar 28. Love to hear what you both think of that boat. We would still be sailing locally in Barnegat Bay.
Old 27-08-2015, 08:03   #14

No I am in Punta Gorda Fl. The boat you saw in JC was probably Coastal Sailor.
The Telstar, Hmmm. Had one, Fantastic Sailer, moves in light winds, handles strong winds, very safe IMHO. A lot of work sailing her as compared to the Tomcat 6.2, that's why I downsized. It is trailerable but not a trailer sailer, be prepared for 4-5 hours prep time and be careful with raising the mast, a lot of parts have been broken by stray lines wrapping in the wrong place as wittnessed by the Telstar association Forum. The boat is more of a keep it in the water for the summer and haul it home in the winter saving on marina storage. Fit and Finish, Tony was trying to build a trimaran for the masses, keeping costs down and he was successful, again IMHO. But, the masses wanted a cheap trimaran that was perfect in every way and this was impossible. Tony's mast raising, ama opening system and Rudder/CB operating systems were brilliant. If you want great sailing and don't mind spider cracks and doing small repairs then try it out. A tip if you get one, don't put the C/B down all the way they break in rough weather. Instead keep it at 2/3 down MAX.
Old 27-08-2015, 08:39   #15

We currently keep our TC 6.2 at a full service Marina in Toms River, NJ. Slip in the summer, stored on the trailer in the winter. They do all the commissioning and decommissioning. Dragging it around on the trailer was getting tiresome. Now it stays in one place all year. We have hull #33 and I think the one I saw in Jersey City was #46. But we bought it used as a power runabout and sent to to Canada in 2010 to be completely retrofit as a sailboat. So the mast, boom, sails, rudders, rigging are all newer.
The TC is fun and we've broken enough cables to understand the rudders. I guess all boats have the quirks, it's just getting used to them. Fill us in how you changed the rudder and tiller system. And the 6 HP engine is all you need? We ungraded from the 8 HP Honda that it came with to a new 15 HP in 2013.

That would be the plan for the Telstar as well. We have a wide slip that could easily accommodate it. We live about 5 miles away so getting to the boat is no big deal.

Tags
catamaran, omc