Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2012, 19:29   #1

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
To the Kimberlys next year

I am sailing to the Kimberlys next year, Looks like Solo, As my friend has point blank refused to get on my boat again, She was seasick for six days straight and now has this thing against boats,
Its Been a dream for over 40 years since I drove through there, between the Kimberlys and Bungle Bungles,

I am going up through the Great Barrier Reef and across to Darwin, stopping at all the places I didnt get to see when I drove and worked my way around OZ in the 70's,
Any info on places to see and avoid would be welcome, Also good parking spots,
Mainly on the pick, Not really into Marina's, They really dont do any thing for me,
I have retired, so dont need work,

My Gemini will be repaired by then and better than new, with all new electrics on board,
And I will have had a few sailing lessons on her as well.

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03   #2

Boat: VW Land Yacht
Re: To the Kimberlys next year

Hey Mr B, sounds like a great mission.
Eden will probably be your first stop; you often end up tying up next to a fishing boat on the wharf and it's a walk up the hill to shop eat and drink. There's sheltered anchorage on the south side of Twofold Bay as well.
I've never been in to Bateman's Bay but they tell me it can be ok for a rest and a shop.
In Sydney Harbour pass under the bridge and under the Pyrmont bridge to drop anchor in Blackwattle Bay, across from the Fish Markets. Free, no ferry wash, and no hassle. Dinghy to Fish markets and 20 minute walk into the city, or come ashore on the Blackwattle side and walk up the hill to Glebe Point Road for shopping cafes pubs laundry, markets on saturday.
Pittwater 10 miles north of Sydney harbour is big sheltered stretch of water, lots of nice bays with moorings if you're killing time waiting for weather, can get busy weekends (lots of stinkboat wash). Church Point, friday arvo under the tree near the ferry wharf, buy a bottle from the shop and yarn with the liveaboards thereabouts.
NSW north of Pittwater; a lot of your stops will involve bar crossings so careful planning with departure times to get a favourable tide crossing the bar at destinations is needed. Port Stephens an exception, plus if you get a spot, free couple of days on public wharf (look for scales where they weigh gamefish on the end) with easy walk to pubs and shopping.
Laurieton, head upriver and look for free stick wharf behind the RSL. Pay deposit in club for shower key, have some beers and a feed for a thanks to the club. Easy walk to shops; good stop.
Yamba is a nice stop, bar is protected from SE by headland so can often get in when other bars are closed. If you're knackered go into Iluka on N side and drop the pick; ferry across to Yamba. Channel in to Yamba bit more involved but with your draft should be a cinch. There were a couple of free coupla day moorings last time I went in. Watch for tide training walls out from riverbank, they might be invisible at high tide. Can navigate 60 miles upriver to Grafton if you like; great pottering.
Coffs Harbour you can anchor in outer basin but probably be rolly. Bus to town for shopping. Nothing special IMO.
Southport Bar is totally exposed so don't expect to get in after few days bad weather. Anchor free in Bums Bay on south arm. Jetski and stinkboat heaven on weekends. Good place to leave. The inside passage to Moreton Bay is the way to go.
Brisbane try for spot on pile moorings upriver at Botanic Gardens. Ferry wash from high speed cat ferries might not be too bad for your boat. Bribie Island, N Moreton Bay, anchor free waiting for good weather to get up and cross Wide Bay Bar.
Tin Can Bay nice spot for feed and a shop.
Inside to Hervey Bay is the go.
Bundaberg is easy approach any time. Fuel and shopping and you could anchor in the basin at Burnett Heads if you don't want to go upriver to Bundy. Anchor free and good dinghy dock at Bundy if you do go upriver; good shopping pubs.
Pancake Creek good stop for a sleep. In reasonable weather don't need to go in to creek, just anchor round the corner of Bustard Head.
Gladstone a long way up the roads and slow if you miss the tide. Long walk to shops. Heavy industry abounds and coal dust rains out the sky. Anchoring difficult, uncomfortable. Inside passage through the Narrows to Keppel Bay is an entertaining mission tho.
In stable weather can anchor off Rosslyn Bay and bus to town for shopping.

From here north you're heading into the best of Qld cruising. Island Head Creek sometimes locked up by Services playing wargames, but Percy Islands not much further.

Just a few thoughts for now Mr B.
The Alan Lucas guides are worth the money for NSW and QLD. If you wanna hang around the Whitsundays 100 Magic Miles is good.

What a great mission, good luck mate. Get round to the Kimberley before they bugger it up; they wanna build a LNG plant 60km north of Broome!

regards from Groover
Old 02-09-2012, 17:43   #3
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: To the Kimberlys next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I am sailing to the Kimberlys next year, Looks like Solo, As my friend has point blank refused to get on my boat again, She was seasick for six days straight and now has this thing against boats,
Its Been a dream for over 40 years since I drove through there, between the Kimberlys and Bungle Bungles,

I am going up through the Great Barrier Reef and across to Darwin, stopping at all the places I didnt get to see when I drove and worked my way around OZ in the 70's,
Any info on places to see and avoid would be welcome, Also good parking spots,
Mainly on the pick, Not really into Marina's, They really dont do any thing for me,
I have retired, so dont need work,

My Gemini will be repaired by then and better than new, with all new electrics on board,
And I will have had a few sailing lessons on her as well.

Cheers,
Brian,
Well Mr B, it sounds like a great plan (and a great trip). Going by what I know of you from your CF posts, I am sure you get there come whatever .

I don't have time right now but later I will try to post a bit of detail about Cape York and Darwin from what still resides in the memory bank but hopefully others will chime in with more current information.

Give some thought to timing as the wet season is not a great place to be holed up in the Kimberly (cyclones etc) and particularly give a some thought to where you plan to go to next from the Kimberly - it's a tough haul home from there whichever way you look at it. Said simply - Melbourne to Kimberly, easy; Kimberly to Melbourne, hard.

You may even consider going international before returning home!

Good luck and enjoy the planning and preparation
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: