Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 12:12   #1

To Beach on Fixed Keels ?

Could anyone comment on this: if I try to beach a lot, would fixed keels be the way to go, so as to save friction wear on the hull bottoms (of a Catalac 9M).
If so, what is the best material for fixed keels, to be used specifically for that purpose?

Also - what are the advantages/disadvantages of either beaching continually that way or usually living off the hook near enough to shore without actually beaching?

If I need a lot of correcting, lay it on. I want to learn all I can from wiser and more experienced salts.
I appreciate your input. Thank you very much.
While I'm at it - is there any particular law against either beaching or off the hook along the South English coast, like not being allowed to do so within a certain distance of marinas or busy ports, etc.? I suspect there might be. Thanks again.
wambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 12:57   #2

Re: To beach on fixed keels?

Beaching a boat may end up close to DRIVEN ASHORE if conditions change and you don't notice until it's too late... Very very bad practice... It's for power boaters...who are usually a tad clueless anyway

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 12:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Beaching a boat may end up close to DRIVEN ASHORE if conditions change and you don't notice until it's too late... Very very bad practice... It's for power boaters...who are usually a tad clueless anyway
Thanks for that advice. Now I have to find out more about living off the hook along the English coast .
Old 13-08-2012, 13:06   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

Surprised DOJ hasn't chimed in....he has a bilge keeler, a popular and useful boat in places of high tidal ranges and lots of mudflats.
Old 13-08-2012, 13:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Since you have a catamaran, presumably you are up for a bit of thinking outside the box, yes?

Some manufacturers have taken heed of the problem of ribs being launched from trailers. Sometimes it goes pear shaped and the hull gets scratched. So introduced a rubbing strip for the underside of the hull. The angle on a UK rib hull will be far greater than your hull so gluing on a strip of keel protector on shouldn't be a problem. Try a read of this:

Keel Protection - RIBnet Forums

We dryout occasionally (bilge keels) but do make sure its suitable first.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 13:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As for living off the hook in Southern England, there are some live aboards up the Medina on the IOW on bouys. One is a member of CF, Symes I think.
Falmouth or Shoreham are another possible options.

Do able in the summer perhaps, murder in the depths of winter.

Pete
Old 13-08-2012, 13:19   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I agree with above, especially such a heavy boat as a Catalac (heavy for a catamaran, that is). I'd stick with anchoring...much safer and easier. If you do beach it, make sure it's a clean sandy beach without big rocks or coral, make sure to use a stern anchor to help you pull it off when you want to leave, and be sure it's not some super high tide where you might have to wait a month to kedge off. The hulls are pretty strong on the Catalacs I've seen, so I wouldn't think you'd need to bother adding keels (but don't take my word on this one!).
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 13:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
As for living off the hook in Southern England, there are some live aboards up the Medina on the IOW on bouys. One is a member of CF, Symes I think.
Falmouth or Shoreham are another possible options.

Do able in the summer perhaps, murder in the depths of winter.

Pete
Sounds good. Have been advised re. the English winters.
, lol. If I have been able to take care of other pressing situations I would likely end up simply taking the canals thru' France late Fall to the Med. Time is closing in fast.
Old 13-08-2012, 13:41   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A ha, well now you have a huge advantage (as do we) for that trip just check the width.

St Malo and up the Rance to Redon and down to Arzal. Then along the Brittany Coast and up the Gironde to the Canal Du Midi.

Pete
Old 13-08-2012, 14:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
A ha, well now you have a huge advantage (as do we) for that trip just check the width.

St Malo and up the Rance to Redon and down to Arzal. Then along the Brittany Coast and up the Gironde to the Canal Du Midi.

Pete
Already doing my homework . If you have already gone that route, maybe you could pass on some pointers not in the books? There seem to be many optional routes but not all would be (I suspect) able to accommodate the approx.14ft. Catalac beam with local traffic. ATM it's early reading.

I would, if possible, love to take my wife thru' Paris initially (who wouldn't ?). Depending on the long-range weather forecast we would plan accordingly the length of time during the winter weeks..(Are long-range weather forecasts dependable in Europe, especially thru' winter?).
Old 13-08-2012, 14:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
I agree with above, especially such a heavy boat as a Catalac (heavy for a catamaran, that is). I'd stick with anchoring...much safer and easier. If you do beach it, make sure it's a clean sandy beach without big rocks or coral, make sure to use a stern anchor to help you pull it off when you want to leave, and be sure it's not some super high tide where you might have to wait a month to kedge off. The hulls are pretty strong on the Catalacs I've seen, so I wouldn't think you'd need to bother adding keels (but don't take my word on this one!).
Many thanks for that input. I think I might be being somewhat too cautious. I was erring a bit along the lines of: "Expect the best but prepare for the worst".
Re. the Catalac's beam I don't think there will be any real problem. Am reading right now of some of the major canal routes taken by barges across France. Spoiled for choice.
Old 13-08-2012, 15:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

If the boats designed for it, fixed keels are probably the go, the key is checking first for rocks etc, but the main issue over the long term will be antifoul being scraped off. But if the boats designed for standing on its own keels, then go for it, check with your designer/builder if unsure.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 00:42   #13

Boat: Simpson 11.6m built by owners,

I regularly beach our car (simpson 11 mtr with mini keels) and the cleaning is not a problem as we use coppercoat antifoul.Yes it is not as good as some antifouls but 8 years before another coat was applied .It had not worn that much.Also the bottom is smoother than normal antifoul giving that extra knot of speed.
planfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 12:36   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambam View Post
Already doing my homework . If you have already gone that route, maybe you could pass on some pointers not in the books? There seem to be many optional routes but not all would be (I suspect) able to accommodate the approx.14ft. Catalac beam with local traffic. ATM it's early reading.

I would, if possible, love to take my wife thru' Paris initially (who wouldn't ?). Depending on the long-range weather forecast we would plan accordingly the length of time during the winter weeks..(Are long-range weather forecasts dependable in Europe, especially thru' winter?).
We have some of the best weather forecasting in the world here. These are two I use:

PassageWeather

XC Weather

I haven't done the Canal Du Midi, so can't personally comment on that.

Have been up the River Rance as far as Dinard and friends have been all the way though. Took them 5 days of very easy cruising and some locks. If you can lower the mast yourself via tabernacle then fine if not have the mast lowered in St Malo. From the Brittany end, have the mast raised at one of the yards in Arzal. Watch the channel when you going the sea again especially at low water, depths were less than 1m and the seagulls are walking not floating nearby. Very peaceful, pretty and tranquil canal, but understand if you want to take the wifey to Paris.

Pete
Old 17-08-2012, 03:01   #15

Boat: Searunner, 37'
I beach my Searunner 37 for bottom maintenance. I just watch the weather and then anchor just before I run aground at high tide. I worry the incoming tide won't be as high as the one I beached on. No problem so far.