Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 18:54   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi
To Barrier Paint or Not

Hello all!
I just recently purchased a 2006 Lavezzi and getting ready to bring her around to Tampa. One of the items on the "to-do" list prior is antifouling paint. During the survey, no signs of blistering or osmosis were present and sounding with a phenolic hammer detected no delamination. I'm looking for some previous experience from others as to whether a barrier paint is "highly recommended/required" or a few coats of Interlux Micron CSC would suffice for a few years. I've read the numerous reports of FP Lavezzi's and the problems with osmosis, however it seems to have been a batch of them and I might not have been affected. This question isn't directed towards osmosis on Lavezzis, but barrier paint in general.
Thanks!
DrDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 01:20   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Re: To Barrier Paint or Not ?

I'd do it. I'm not sure how effective it really is but we figured it can't hurt and it wasn't that expensive.

The other thing is to make sure that your boat is well ventilated, especially in such a humid climate. The hulls absorb water vapour through uncoated areas on the the inside....especially when it's 40C and 100% humidity inside the boat.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 04:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DrDrew.

A hull barrier coating is generally a very good (highly recommended) idea.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:23   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I'm with Gord on this one - the epoxy barrier coat is not water permeable, whereas the original gelcoat is. My bottoms were coated with epoxy barrier coating and there is zero evidence of blistering, even though the boat is now 17 years old.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 07:21   #5

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I agree with the above recommendations. But many times the immediate cost to make the barrier coat happen put the the boat's purchase cost of ownership into question. For example, my old Hunter sailboat which had no barrier coat and no blisters would have cost $8K to have the bottom paint stripped at the yard where the boat was docked. That cost was for stripping; adding a barrier paint coat would have been extra.

The only reason I asked for a quote was the bottom paint was getting thick. Well, I let it get thicker.

There are I assume many places/yards that will strip paint for much less than I was quoted. With EPA regulations, most yards around here prohibit owners from scrapping their bottoms. Those that do require special tools and barriers to prevent dust getting into the surrounding area.

If your boat develops blisters later, the cost to grind them out and fill will not add that much to the cost needed to strip the existing bottom paint and apply a barrier coat.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 07:35   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

another factor is the dryness of the hull before barrier coating. my hull developed small blisters below the barrier coat .. go figure
Old 15-08-2011, 07:43   #7

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Anyone have any experience using bottom paint stripper?Sounds alot cleaner/less hassle than sanding.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 07:45   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: To Barrier Paint or Not

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum DrDrew

As above, do it
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 07:57   #9

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I used some stuff called Peel Away I got from West Marine a few years ago when I barrier coated my Luders33. You just paint it on liberally and apply a plastic sheet over it to keep it from drying out. Once it's been on long enough, you peel the plastic off and all the old bottom paint comes off with it -- well, mostly, some times you might need to leave it longer or apply a second coat -- then fold up the sheet and throw it away. Worked well and was much better and faster thar scrapping.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 14:25   #10

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDrew View Post
Hello all!
I just recently purchased a 2006 Lavezzi and getting ready to bring her around to Tampa. One of the items on the "to-do" list prior is antifouling paint. During the survey, no signs of blistering or osmosis were present and sounding with a phenolic hammer detected no delamination. I'm looking for some previous experience from others as to whether a barrier paint is "highly recommended/required" or a few coats of Interlux Micron CSC would suffice for a few years. I've read the numerous reports of FP Lavezzi's and the problems with osmosis, however it seems to have been a batch of them and I might not have been affected. This question isn't directed towards osmosis on Lavezzis, but barrier paint in general.
Thanks!
Dr Drew,

I would get an estimate on the barrier coat and if it's a "budget buster" I would hold off and just do a regular bottom job (unless you are going off the beaten path for an extended cruise).

I understand that blisters are usually the result of a issues during layup of the hulls. Your 2006 boat hasn't developed them in 5 years so you might never get them.

When we bought our 1996 Privilege in 2005, we didn't know if there was a previous barrier coat. Since we had no blisters we just put on new bottom paint and have not had any blister problems after being in the warm Tampa Bay/Bahamamian waters for 6 years.
Old 11-09-2011, 14:42   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
No real point putting on a barrier coat to a boat already exposed to water. It's something that should only really be done in the factory to a new hull.
Now that the hull has moisture in it, barriers do little.

Dave
Old 11-09-2011, 15:09   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

My boat was built in 1988. It started to get blisters a few years ago. This year they were really bad and I had to bite the bullet and have the gel coat removed and replaced with epoxy. Yours is a much newer boat and the builder may have use blister resistant resins. If you're concerned you might ask other Lavezzi owners if they have had any blister problems. It's a lot cheaper to apply the barrier coat over good gel coat than it is to grind off the gel coat and replace it with epoxy. As for bottom paint, I think you should go up one level from Micron CSC to Micron Extra. The Micron Extra has a slime blocker in it that CSC doesn't. The Extra will block growth for several more months than CSC. If you're in Tampa you won't haul for the winter so you might as well use as long lasting a paint as you can.
Old 14-09-2011, 17:18   #13

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

Blisters, blisters. They used to be a much more prevalent curse than with boats built more recently. That said, and although certain construction techniques (cored hull, vacuum bagged) and materials (vinylester, epoxy) minimize the risk, it is still better to put a barrier coat on, when the boat is first launched. After that....if the hull has absorbed any water, it must be left to dry, which can take a long time. If you sand, when you completely strip the bottom paint, you take off the most water resistant part of the gelcoat, which is the surface, and you had better put on a barrier coat to replace it, which should go into a decision to mechanically strip. Chemical strip doesn't cause this, of course.

I once had a long discussion with an Interlux chemist as to the best method of application. During the previous five years, their manual had reversed itself on some of the procedures. In his opinion, he said that the three most important things to do, in addition to drying and following the directions were 1) apply twice the amount recommended for long life. The manuals specify the minimum, and since most people sell their boats within five years, and there is competition between the barrier coat manufacturers......their business decision is to specify a bit on the skimpy side. So, more than 20 mils is really necessary. After 40 mils thickness, the stuff can get brittle...bad. 2) Either barrier coat the bilge or keep it dry. Not easy, in some cases, but the bilge water will saturate as readily as the outside water. And, if the bilge water is fresh, the osmotic difference is even greater, so the blistering will be more rapid. 3) Barrier coat six inches above the waterline. I have never seen a boatyard quote for this as it gets into the bootstripe area.

When last I did a barrier coat job, in 1994 on a heavily blistered bottom, I dried the boat out for eight months in the Sonoran desert (San Carlos, Mexico) and then did the above. Nine or ten coats of Interprotect, six inches above the waterline. I covered the top part of the epoxy with a new bootsripe. I barrier coated the bilge and used dripless stuffing for a dry bilge. Result: never another blister.

My other boat, a 1999 Leopard 45 cat, was not barrier coated at the factory (inexcuasable) but was vacuum bagged and cored. Leopards have a good history regarding blisters and they are all built this way. Over the seven years I have owned her, there have been maybe ten blisters that have appeared in various places during various haulouts. She is in the tropical water all year. I have just ground out those few blisters (none deep at all), filled and epoxied. It is not the classical remedy, but it has worked pretty well, for this boat. Someday, I will strip the bottom paint (it is ablative so not too thick). When that day comes, if I do it mechanically, rather than chemically, I will apply a thick barrier coat, just as I did on my other boat.

Good luck with your decision...not an easy decision, and no guarantees on the result.

By the way, I know more than a few F/P boats with blisters, considerably more than the manufacturer acknowledges.

cheers,
Tim
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint