Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 22:05   #1

Time and Technology Have Changed Sailing

I have owned a couple of mono's in the past but I am now a convert to multi's and last weekend I was invited out for a local bay race in a friend's mono. An Adams 36 ft. which is a good boat design for it time. (compare Cal 36)
We actually won the race probably because of my weight on the gunwhale However what shocked me was how time and technology has changed boating, for the better.
Back in the 80's we thought this boat was the "ducks nuts" now it is slow, uncomfortable and not very practical.
With a six foot draft we spent all day avoiding sandbars and reefs we couldn't see.
Ok for the boys full of beer and bad manners.
Down below smelt of diesel and bilge.
Try cooking in there tilted at 30 degrees or sleeping?(that was why we needed the beer)
Upwind was Ok but downwind all we did was roll from side to side,slowly.
No wonder women don't like mono's and love multihulls.

Now i know I am preaching to the converted but you Mono guys ought to have a rethink and understand WHY multihulls are so popular if you want a women on board.
Old 08-11-2010, 22:19   #2

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
At the boat shows with my wife we're always on a time limit. I always make sure we haven't got time to go on the cats and big stink boats.

Greg
Old 08-11-2010, 22:49   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
I love my cat but I would also enjoy sailing a monohull. Sailing is awesome, regardless of how many hulls one has.
Old 08-11-2010, 23:24   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Now I know this title has been well and truly beaten up in the past, which is why I am posting it to the multihull section however you mono guys are allowed to read it if you wish..............but you Mono guys ought to have a rethink and understand WHY multihulls are so popular if you want a women on board.
Beau, I often wonder when someone starts off and finishes a thread addressed to persons whose judgment they wish to criticize, in this case sailors of mono hulls, ….. what is it you are trying to achieve?

I tend to be like Keegan and simply “love the one I’m with” so no argument from me on your nautical choice and happiness.

But I am curious when I look at the avatar picture of your boat; it appears to be a “mono-hulled power-boat, with outriggers”

Obviously designed to keep the wife happy and most suitable for trolling!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:25   #5

Boat: Traditional 30
Damn, i just wish they werent so expensive. For a live aboard they make a lot of sense.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I'm pretty sure that any 80's boat will compare unfavourably to it's modern counterpart. Regardless of the number of hulls.

At anchor I always prefer a multihull. But under sail, there are many times I'd prefer a monohull. A good mono is simply a lot of fun to sail.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I am now a convert to multi's
Are you going to get one? and maybe move over to a sailing boat?
Old 09-11-2010, 04:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Now I know this title has been well and truly beaten up in the past, which is why I am posting it to the multihull section however you mono guys are allowed to read it if you wish.

I have owned a couple of mono's in the past but I am now a convert to multi's and last weekend I was invited out for a local bay race in a friend's mono. An Adams 36 ft. which is a good boat design for it time. (compare Cal 36)
We actually won the race probably because of my weight on the gunwhale However what shocked me was how time and technology has changed boating, for the better.
Back in the 80's we thought this boat was the "ducks nuts" now it is slow, uncomfortable and not very practical.
With a six foot draft we spent all day avoiding sandbars and reefs we couldn't see.
Ok for the boys full of beer and bad manners.
Down below smelt of diesel and bilge.
Try cooking in there tilted at 30 degrees or sleeping?(that was why we needed the beer)
Upwind was Ok but downwind all we did was roll from side to side,slowly.
No wonder women don't like mono's and love multihulls.

Now i know I am preaching to the converted but you Mono guys ought to have a rethink and understand WHY multihulls are so popular if you want a women on board.
Your experience probably has less to do with "sailing technology" than it does the evolution of racing rules. The market has largely turned away from the IOR rule inspired boats of the 70s and 80s.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:25   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
This thread was started as a flame, and it's best to let it consume itself. All boats involve trade-offs and compromises in design and manufacture. Pay your money and make your choices. If you're not in it for the money it's all for enjoyment, so no need to insult others who make different choices or have a thinner wallet. The sunset looks the same from a rowboat or a mega-yacht, no matter how many hulls.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:31   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
This thread was started as a flame, and it's best to let it consume itself. All boats involve trade-offs and compromises in design and manufacture. Pay your money and make your choices. If you're not in it for the money it's all for enjoyment, so no need to insult others who make different choices or have a thinner wallet. The sunset looks the same from a rowboat or a mega-yacht, no matter how many hulls.
Have owned both... love both... wish I could afford one of each...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:47   #11
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Hey, when it comes to sailboats I am decidedly 'Bi' - a well designed mono, or multi can turn my crank!

Brad
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57   #12

I have been on a number of multihulls over the years on various charters. Yes, very nice comfortable floating platforms, lot's of space, not much heal under sail and shallow draft. But, I never felt the need to want one personally. But, then again I've owned my 30 foot monohull for over 15 years and have never felt need or desire to look at another boat mono or multi since I bought it either. On the multi I just see more things to break, fix and maintain. Seems like a lot windage at anchor too. Meanwhile, I can sail, cruise and anchor my 30 mono by myself very easily without having a crew/woman on board. Both of which can be over rated to have on board at times IMO.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:01   #13

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Love the boat you are in! It wouldn't matter how many hulls it has, if circumstance brought me to have a multi hull i 'd enjoy it the same, Its a boat.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
... All boats involve trade-offs and compromises in design and manufacture. Pay your money and make your choices. If you're not in it for the money it's all for enjoyment, so no need to insult others who make different choices or have a thinner wallet. The sunset looks the same from a rowboat or a mega-yacht, no matter how many hulls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Love the boat you are in! It wouldn't matter how many hulls it has, if circumstance brought me to have a multi hull i 'd enjoy it the same, Its a boat.
INDEED!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:06   #15

Boat: Fortune 30
Personally, I don't like multihulls. I've seen too many of catamarans and trimerans upside down in racing events with moderate to heavy wind. Yes, I realize that racing is different than cruising, but I've always been glad to have a heavy keel beneath me that will right the boat if I do broach. I also prefer the motion of a monohull in anything but calm seas. Cats are just too stiff and have a very jerky motion. I realize it's all personal preference, but just as I'm not going to convince you from this post, you won't convince me. I just wanted to point out some of the cat downsides. Besides, I do like the look of a classic looking monohull (such as my Fortune 30) much more than any cat. But if you're happy with cats, then go...have fun. I'll share a beer at aa harbor or safe anchorage.

Pyrate
Closed Thread