Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 23:41   #16

Re: Thoughts about a 30 years old boat

Thank you very much for all the replies.
All interesting points of view: mine was only a consideration on age and no, resale is not my main thought even if priorities in life change and i was wondering if an old boat, after a certain vintage, may become something with no market at all. But yes, i guess that if a boat if well maintained can always be interesting for somebody with a limited budget.
Have to think very much.....

riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 00:10   #17

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

In Absolute terms, she sounds pricey...
Dont fall in love, when buying...

TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Andromeda 48

One plus going for the older Privilege is the motors probably have direct shaft drives vs. sail drives. This will save you lots of headaches.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:40   #19

Boat: Manta 40

Our Manta 40 Catamaran will be 20 next year. I'd venture to say that she is in much better shape than many production cats are after 5 years. There is ongoing maintenance for every boat. Everyone is different depending on use/abuse, but you can "average" some of the following:

New standing rigging
New running rigging
New sails
New electronics
New dinghy/dinghy engine
New engines
New generator
New fridge/freezer
New xxxxx

So on a 5 year old boat, many of these items may start coming due. You can search and get a good idea of # years for each and the costs. Do a rough estimate and you'll get a good sense of value - it all depends on how much maintenance was done on an older boat and what needs to be done. Be certain to get a GREAT survey and then negotiate a fair price for both. Don't sweat the small stuff - and go out and enjoy your new boat!

Jason
Manta 40 (1999 Hull #49)
Breathe
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki View Post

All interesting points of view: mine was only a consideration on age and no, resale is not my main thought even if priorities in life change and i was wondering if an old boat, after a certain vintage, may become something with no market at all. But yes, i guess that if a boat if well maintained can always be interesting for somebody with a limited budget.

There is nothing fundamentally suspect about a well built 30 year old boat. Itís all about maintenance, how she was used, and how sheís been upgraded, and every single boat is individual in that respect.

At that age a lot of systems and hardware are at the end of their service life and are going to need replacement if itís not been done already. If the owner has been lax you could well be looking at work and materials equal to the purchase price. Sails, rigging, engines, etc. it adds up remarkably fast.

If on the other hand the boat had been cared for and refit as necessary you could be looking at a good deal. The ultimate question is what do you get for your money, and if you choose wisely youíll get more for it with a used boat.

Ideally you want to find a boat that has been completely and recently refit and the owner decides to sell for whatever reason. You benefit from the fact that the market will never support what they put into it.

Tags
boat