Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 02:02   #76

Boat: Outremer 55L
The vibe of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Can somebody give me the definition of condo cats ?

Yeloya

Catamaran that appears to be designed with primary emphasis on the insides (accomodations) rather than the outsides (sailing-optimised hull design and aerodynamics), with relatively wide hulls for their length and vertical (and high) superstructure, higher displacement, larger fuel capacity and engines, simpler rigs, and so on.

At the opposite end of a spectrum that has performance cruising cats at one end and condo cats at the other. Of course, due to the majority of high volume multihull designs being built for the charter market, condo cats are the majority of multihulls.

For cruising generally, particularly mid-latitudes, not a problem. Many of the attributes of a condo cat make life more comfortable at anchor and on passage.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 02:30   #77
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: The vibe of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Catamaran that appears to be designed with primary emphasis on the insides (accomodations) rather than the outsides (sailing-optimised hull design and aerodynamics), with relatively wide hulls for their length and vertical (and high) superstructure, higher displacement, larger fuel capacity and engines, simpler rigs, and so on.

At the opposite end of a spectrum that has performance cruising cats at one end and condo cats at the other. Of course, due to the majority of high volume multihull designs being built for the charter market, condo cats are the majority of multihulls.

For cruising generally, particularly mid-latitudes, not a problem. Many of the attributes of a condo cat make life more comfortable at anchor and on passage.
Running a yacht charter and servicing company, owning 4 cats and having sailed 50.000 nm mostly on cats, I know that.
The question was which cats are specifically called cando cats. I tend to believe that everyone has his own classification. Mine goes that way:
(the list is not intended to be complete but just to give an idea)

Very fast, racing cruisers: Gunboat, HH, Mc 60, Alibi, etc
Fast cruisers: Outremer, Catana , Schionnings,
Cruising cats: FP up to Saba, Lagoons from 38 to 52, Nautitech
Condo cats: almost all of Sunreefs, Lagoons starting from 56 and above (excluding old L 57's which are pretty fast..), FP İpanema 58 and Victoria 67 .

Obviously more scientific classification could be given by SA/D ratios.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 05:01   #78

While I may have sounded a bit harsh, regarding the looks of most cats, I have seen some fairly nice looking cats, but not many. Of course, there are also some less than desirable looking monos out there also. As with autos, aircraft, etc., there is something out there for everyone, regardless of what we perceive as functional or good looking. My apologies to anyone I may have offended. I've sailed a cat and while they do offer more privacy, space and sail flatter (which the ladies seem to prefer), I just prefer a mono. Still, my biggest issue with cats is the space they require in the marinas, many marinas just weren't designed to accommodate these guys. JMHO!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 17:09   #79

Boat: S&S 40

Yes quite incredible...I had a look at a Lagoon 40 which is moored near by...freeboard is close to 1.9m, the thing is nearly square, the steering position is about 3m above the water, only reachable by a stairway. The boom is totally out of reach..not shure how one would be able to reef the main.
The main sail can't be squared of as the rigging is in the way.
The entrance has a full size glass door...
If, god forbid, a wave would ever hit this contraption the damage would be great. ..not to mention injuries to the crew.
All this comes at a cost close to a million ....not including the stepladder one needs to get on board...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 18:22   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Yes quite incredible...I had a look at a Lagoon 40 which is moored near by...freeboard is close to 1.9m, the thing is nearly square, the steering position is about 3m above the water, only reachable by a stairway. The boom is totally out of reach..not shure how one would be able to reef the main.
The main sail can't be squared of as the rigging is in the way.
The entrance has a full size glass door...
If, god forbid, a wave would ever hit this contraption the damage would be great. ..not to mention injuries to the crew.
All this comes at a cost close to a million ....not including the stepladder one needs to get on board...
Gosh............. lets see how many points you score.

I'd have one. I do agree the squareness is a little ..er .. square. But thats the Lagoon look.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 18:35   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

If I was in the income bracket to afford a luxury Cat... it would perhaps not be a lagoon or FP. Although the Lagoon 38 has always been a favourite of mine.

This is a vessel that I like the look of and sails well.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote