Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2016, 16:45   #91

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: The sexiest Catamaran ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No I didn't, i responded in disappointment
Sorry I disappointed you But if everyone gets tweaked because I threw in a beautiful monohull (Columbia) and used language to describe my opinion of all f/g vessels, then I think some people are a little over sensitive. I like Cats, they are a good entertainment platform. Just not my cup of tea to own.
I certainly don't see on other threads Cat owner discouraged from voicing an opinion. Ever check out the gun threads or climate change?...Geeez!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 17:11   #92

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sorry I disappointed you But if everyone gets tweaked because I threw in a beautiful monohull (Columbia) and used language to describe my opinion of all f/g vessels, then I think some people are a little over sensitive. I like Cats, they are a good entertainment platform. Just not my cup of tea to own.
I certainly don't see on other threads Cat owner discouraged from voicing an opinion. Ever check out the gun threads or climate change?...Geeez!

You're right. Any gun thread/climate change/political threads get out of hand quickly.
But keep in mind it's less that we (cat owners) have thin skin so much as we get annoyed with the loud mouthed drunk guy at the bar who doesn't know wtf he's talking about and tries to get everyone to talk about what he wants to talk about. I personally find your idea of a beautiful monohull (4ksb) a dated thing of the past and adds absolutely no value to this discussion what so ever.
Why don't you start a thread in the mono section about your beloved Colombia, and we'll all join in with our own valuable nuggets of wisdom. 😜

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 17:17   #93

Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish

Quote:
...... I like Cats, they are a good entertainment platform. Just not my cup of tea to own.
You were going so well until this bit ... I'm sure you can't see the negatives in your 'compliment' to cats which is, in my opinion, the blind bias against cats that appears in here so often. "I like cats, they're great at anchor and at the dock but I wouldn't go to sea in one...." These types of comments are representative of the type of blind bias I'm referring to. I'm not ascribing that comment to you, by the way, just using it as an example.

The difference being, with regards to cat owners being discouraged in gun and climate change threads, is that the subject matter being discussed isn't monohulls and it's not cat owners jumping in making derogatory comments about them. Ergo, your comment isn't relevant to mono owners jumping into a discussion about cats, in the multi forum, and having digs at cats. You're comparing apples with fish.

It reminds me of white males, who are the most privileged group in society, complaining about blacks who complain about being racially profiled or whatever. Or privileged white males complaining about women pushing for gender equality. I'm a privileged white male by the way... But because it doesn't directly effect them, and they haven't spent any time thinking about it, they don't recognise the bias in themselves or see it when it happens. When it's pointed out they call those people thin skinned or whingers. Which is exactly what is happening in the Multi forum.
Old 08-03-2016, 17:19   #94
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I never took to that Shuttleworth design. A great seaboat but not sexy in my eyes............

You know the saying, Opinions are like asxhxles, everyone has one but there's stinks and mine doesn't! I know the Shuttleworth doesn't appeal to everyone but to me it does. An interesting thread, but really kind of pointless as everyone's definition of sexy is different.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-03-2016, 17:28   #95

When we were in Portabella I saw an older cat..pre Lagoon, think it was Jeaneau around 50 feet or so and I have to say the designer really got the proportions right, one of the nicer cats I have seen. That one you could talk me into owning, it also had a good sized rig and while I know nothing about it I bet it's a good sailor as well.
Old 08-03-2016, 17:36   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post

It reminds me of white males, who are the most privileged group in society, complaining about blacks who complain about being racially profiled or whatever. Or privileged white males complaining about women pushing for gender equality. I'm a privileged white male by the way... But because it doesn't directly effect them, and they haven't spent any time thinking about it, they don't recognise the bias in themselves or see it when it happens. When it's pointed out they call those people thin skinned or whingers. Which is exactly what is happening in the Multi forum.
My...that's not a stretch now is it?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 08-03-2016, 17:41   #97

Quote:
My...that's not a stretch now is it?
No, it isn't. You've just confirmed my point really.
Old 08-03-2016, 18:01   #98
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Well put, tp12. And of course, Celestialsailor doesn't (probably can't) see that in his efforts to be 'supportive' of cats, he was actually damning with faint praise. Much like Robert Sailor's post about once seeing a 'pre-lagoon' cat that was so well proportioned that someone could talk him into owning one! That's kind of like saying, "Hey, I'm not prejudiced - I wouldn't kick Halley Berry out of bed!"

Mind you, both comments were better balanced than I have come to expect from some of the monohullers on this site!

Brad
Old 08-03-2016, 19:32   #99

Your 3rd person passive/aggressive rhetoric is nothing more than hooray for our side.
To equate comments about racism to Cats is beyond me, but somehow the two of you dug deep to make that connection.
This all started with me posting a clip of Columbia and my disdain for all plastic rounded modern watercraft. For that I will apologize. However the comments about race is inexcusable and defines where you are really at.

Old 08-03-2016, 19:37   #100
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
I never think of boats as being sexy at all.

Sexy was her painting in her underwear and a t-shirt or stealing my old school rugby shirt for a dress.

This reminded me of her, sorry for the thread drift, complain if you want, I don't care

Obviously PHD material.
Old 08-03-2016, 19:39   #101
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Your 3rd person passive/aggressive rhetoric is nothing more than hooray for our side.
To equate comments about racism to Cats is beyond me, but somehow the two of you dug deep to make that connection.
This all started with me posting a clip of Columbia and my disdain for all plastic rounded modern watercraft. For that I will apologize. However the comments about race is inexcusable and defines where you are really at.

What is your side?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-03-2016, 19:51   #102

Quote:
I'm drawing a parallel to explain the blind bias that exists against catamarans on this site. And elsewhere, I might add; mention that you want to circumnavigate in a catamaran the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia and watch the looks and reactions you get. It's very similar to what happens in this forum. So, it's a modern and relevant example. I also used gender equality but you don't seem to take issue with that and have singled out racism. I'd ask you to consider why you've reacted so strongly to the racism parallel but I suspect that wouldn't end well

Yours is the typical reaction to it - it's overblown, not relevant etc etc etc. It's human nature to react defensively to having this pointed out. I'd ask you to stop and think about the meaning behind what I've said and not react to what it appears to be on the surface.

In any case, relax dude
Old 08-03-2016, 20:04   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I'm drawing a parallel to explain the blind bias that exists against catamarans on this site. And elsewhere, I might add; mention that you want to circumnavigate in a catamaran the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia and watch the looks and reactions you get. It's very similar to what happens in this forum. So, it's a modern and relevant example. I also used gender equality but you don't seem to take issue with that and have singled out racism. I'd ask you to consider why you've reacted so strongly to the racism parallel but I suspect that wouldn't end well
Please let me point out that you were the one that went White male/Black/Women while we were talking Cats/Monos and Bars of soap. You were the one looking for the connection. Then Southern Star jumped on the bad wagon to wave his personal banner.
It's a Cruising forum with lots of threads. I'm up for criticism but not trying to make me out as a clan member....good grief. Can we talk boats and Cats now?

Old 08-03-2016, 20:08   #104

Quote:
Please let me point out that you were the one that went White male/Black/Women while we were talking Cats/Monos and Bars of soap. You were the one looking for the connection. Then Southern Star jumped on the bad wagon to wave his personal banner.
It's a Cruising forum with lots of threads. I'm up for criticism but not trying to make me out as a clan member....good grief. Can we talk boats and Cats now?
If you think I'm calling you a racist you don't understand my point at all. Again, I ask you to stop and think about the meaning behind what I've said and not react to the word you've singled out. You've really missed the meaning.

I'm talking about the blind bias that exists in this forum, and elsewhere, against Catamarans.
Old 08-03-2016, 20:58   #105
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

tp12, anyone following this thread knows that we weren't calling anyone racists. We were, however, analogiizing with respect to bias as evidenced by 'compliments' towards the breed that are not only damning through faint praise, but in the case of celestialsailor, representative of equally offensive stereotypes. Celestialsailor, of course, is now involved in revisionist history in an attempt to justify his initial inflammatory comment that was clearly directed towards catamarans, When he was called out on that, he claimed that he also used the bar of soap slight in relation to Beneteaus. Catalinas and Hunters. When it was pointed out that he was compounding the problem by using offensive terms to deride those who have different tastes/priorities in a boat - including monohulls - he then claimed that he was not just referring to catamarans, Beneteaus, Catalinas and Hunters, he was referring to all fiberglass boats. Right.

If so, why post that in a thread specific to the appearance of catamarans? Why start by saying, again in a thread spcific to 'sexy catamarans', that WE have it wrong? Why when he eventually mentions monohulls did he initially only suggest three popular brands? And if his bar of soap in water slur is only in relation to fiberglass boats of any type, why post it in a thread about catamarans when some are made of wood, aluminum. etc., just like monohulls?

Why? Because it is an effort at revisionist history - albeit a demonstrably poor one - made in an attempt to justify his inflammatory post about catamarans. That having failed, he is now attempting to use an 'offence is the best defence' approach, claimg that you called him a racist. TP12, there is no reasoning with someone like that and no need to justify your eloquent analysis.

Anyway, the cat haters have destroyed another thread. Yahoo!

Brad

Tags
catamaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: