Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 14:17   #76

Re: The sexiest Catamaran ever?

Problem I see is that people defend their boat choices like it was their children. When that happens all you get are emotional responses which add little to the discussion.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:28   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Soooo sexy!!

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:29   #78
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Problem I see is that people defend their boat choices like it was their children. When that happens all you get are emotional responses which add little to the discussion.

My guess is one's opinion of what they think a sexy catamaran should look like is purely driven by emotion, and is actually what the discussion is about. I've seen both sexy looking catamarans and monohulls as well as butt ugly examples of both.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:37   #79
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Cruisersfarm, the fact that you do not own a production cat suggests to me that you are well aware that many production boat builders will specify design elements that favour fashion over function. For example, sharp-edged interior cabinets, doors and tables are certainly fashionable, but they are also less functional (and in fact more hazardous) in a seaway.

There are, of course, high performance cats in limited production that have reverse, or wave-piercing bows that extend out further beyond the bridgdeck than the majority of production catamarans of the same overall length. They will also, of course, have less interior accomodation for the same LOA, but that is besides the point in a performance oriented cat. The problem exists in production cats which have reverse bows in conjunction with comparable accomodation and bridgdeck length as boats of the same LOA, but which have bows with greater reserve bouyancy.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, IMO it makes no sense to compare the aesthetic elements of a classic monohull with a modern catamaran. Sweeping shear lines, low freeboard, huge overhangs and spoon or clipper bows would look ridiculous on a cat!

Catamarans are now developing their own aesthetic and I for one find designs such as the Fusion 40 very sexy! Some other cats are less curvaceous but no less attractive. Last February I was anchored in Anguilla beside the newly renovated Gunboat 'Tribe' and, while angular, it remains a very 'hot' looking boat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:38   #80

Quite impressive but I expect the cheque you'd have to write would also be quite impressive.
Old 08-03-2016, 14:40   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Catamarans are now developing their own aesthetic and I for one find designs such as the Fusion 40 very sexy! Some other cats are less curvaceous but no less attractive. Last February I was anchored in Anguilla beside the newly renovated Gunboat 'Tribe' and, while angular, it remains a very 'hot' looking boat.
Brad
I understood that!!

Old 08-03-2016, 14:42   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
My guess is one's opinion of what they think a sexy catamaran should look like is purely driven by emotion, and is actually what the discussion is about. I've seen both sexy looking catamarans and monohulls as well as butt ugly examples of both.

Agree with you of course but as soon as you have the multi/mono thing going tempers seem to flare. Now that brings to mind another question...I have seen some sexton looking cats but they have all been on the larger side, anyone know of some smaller cats that might be deemed sexy.
Old 08-03-2016, 14:45   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
No - Problem is

A discussion starts where some people are debating the pros and cons of various styles of MULTIHULLS. That discussion reasonably morphs into bow shapes. Along comes someone who says ... multihulls are bars of soap.. Somewhat insulting. Whilst agreeing that the boat he referenced is undeniably gorgeous (as well as astronomically expensive) I express disappointment that someone has to do the old Mono Versus Multi thing, I express surprise that in fact it took so long for a mono proponent to come into the multihull forum and describe cats as bars of soap. I didn't say that I find Hallberg Rassy's prehistoric and claustrophobic and about as attractive as my dog.

There was no emotional response to the insult - there was simply a disappointment that a discussion that was going along nicely had to be derailed by a insult from a a person describing all cats as bars of soap.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:46   #84
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Agree with you of course but as soon as you have the multi/mono thing going tempers seem to flare. Now that brings to mind another question...I have seen some sexton looking cats but they have all been on the larger side, anyone know of some smaller cats that might be deemed sexy.
No really - its too hard to make small acts work effectively as cruising boats and be drop dead gorgeous. In small cruising - its tris that can look good and be reasonable effective as weekenders
Old 08-03-2016, 14:48   #85
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Quite impressive but I expect the cheque you'd have to write would also be quite impressive.
And that boat columbia was like cheap!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 14:49   #86
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Robertsailor, I didn't realize that this thread was about the sexiest 'cheap' catamaran. And in any event, the Fusion 40 is available in kit form and is priced quite reasonably. Anyway, your point is?

Oh, that's right, you don't have one. I do, however, get your point on post 76. The problem is not with people who attack an entire class of boats as being nothing more than floating bars of soap. No, that's both rational and helpful, right?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:51   #87
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

I think the smaller Shuttleworth cats are pretty sexy. The problem with the smaller cats is the bridgedeck cabins proportions don't match the rest of the boat if it's built with standing headroom.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457477496.011994.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	120247

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:54   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think the smaller Shuttleworth cats are pretty sexy. The problem with the smaller cats is the bridgedeck cabins proportions don't match the rest of the boat if it's built with standing headroom.Attachment 120247

I never took to that Shuttleworth design. A great seaboat but not sexy in my eyes............
Old 08-03-2016, 15:11   #89
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

That shuttleworth looks like it's just had its mast refitted after going too fast under a very low bridge

Definitely not sexy to my eyes.

Attitude, Mojo, Kato, Zero ... they're sexy boats...all Schionning designs too.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 15:12   #90

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Here's 36' of sexy beast! And it's trailerable!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457478713.943782.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	120248

solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran