Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2010, 01:12   #1

The Search

I'm about to make some changes in my life and want to try living aboard in the Virgin Islands (winter). Mooring instead of a dock, either USVI or BVI.
Trying to establish value is really hard in this market. Values are a moving target and in dealing with certain sellers that are stuck in the 'old market' makes it somewhat frustrating.
I'll deal with a seller rather than a broker. Have scars from ugly past transactions.
Minimum of 38' to max of 45'
$$ has to be real value, not a wishful thought.
I'm going to be on the conservative side of buying as I'm not sure this will work. Its a work in progress.
Don't want to be buried in a boat I can't sell if this dream turns into a nightmare.
Am very open to suggestions.
Wife, dog and grown kids that will visit, but normally the 3 of us, with visiting guests.
Am a long time cat charterer and former FP owner.
Prefer galley down.
Build quality/safety are at the top of the list.
Might do an occasional captained charter, as I've owned a charter company.
Thanks for your forum and thanks in advance for thoughts.
Cheers!
CK
Catkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 10:18   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Catkid, what type of budget are you considering for the boat and upgrades/repairs? Obviously, it will make a huge difference in terms of make, model, vintage and condition of the boats you should be considering.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 15:03   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
BVI

We are doing almost the same thing. Been sailing the BVI's for many years as either delivery dude or charters with friends. The landlady now wants to make the BVI our base with sailing around as our new life. Sounds good to me. Personally due to many factors I just bought a boat in the US. Am hoping to sail her down to Grand Cayman at Christmas then move her over to BVI for the next winter season. What information are you looking for we may be able to compare notes.
ChrisClipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 01:01   #4

Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Catkid, what type of budget are you considering for the boat and upgrades/repairs? Obviously, it will make a huge difference in terms of make, model, vintage and condition of the boats you should be considering.

Brad
$$ are max'd at 175 and thats only if it screams value.
Comfort is 100-125 range.
$150 is tolerable if condition/history/maintenance are right
$$ really depends on the boat. Logistics, come into play if i need to run thru the canal.
Thanks.
Old 22-09-2010, 01:11   #5

Clipper Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisClipper View Post
We are doing almost the same thing. Been sailing the BVI's for many years as either delivery dude or charters with friends. The landlady now wants to make the BVI our base with sailing around as our new life. Sounds good to me. Personally due to many factors I just bought a boat in the US. Am hoping to sail her down to Grand Cayman at Christmas then move her over to BVI for the next winter season. What information are you looking for we may be able to compare notes.
While in Perth for the Cup race, i'd had a great chat w/Jimmy Buffett about Cheoy Lee Clippers. He had a 48 and I had a 36.
Congrats on your purchase.

Information I'm looking for in a boat? A boats history is most important. Non charter, accident free, maintenance docs, age of equipment, broker vs owner.
Thanks.
Old 22-09-2010, 09:33   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Catkid, makes sense to me (although some brokers have boats where the owners are fairly desperate to sell and which still may be a great value). There are certainly cats of that size available in your price range, although realistically, non-charter cats tend to command more $.

I personally don't know of any private listings that meet your requirements, but I suspect that someone will. If your comfort level is about 125K, you are probably looking at a late 80's/early to mid 90's boat that is going to need some work/upgrades. Other possibilities include home-built boats that, while they tend to have a lesser resale value, can nevertheless be very well built.

Finally, you could also look at some older British-built cats that can often be found for even less than your budget. No, they won't be quick, but they were safe, typically very well built and, as a consequence, often more structurally sound after 20 years than more modern designs of the same vintage.

Good luck in your quest.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc