Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 11:28   #31
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,827
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

My boat is 5 tonne loaded..

To be sporting, if you'll remove all your engine accessories and weigh them. I'll provide a sail drive for you to tow.
__________________

__________________
Check out my MoJo: Facebook.com/mojomarine1
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 03:22   #32
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

All good comments, I actually prefer inboards, and am seriously spooked about any fire, explosion hazards on a yacht. However I am sure that petrol storage can be done very secure! The price of a yacht will be higher for inboard marine duesel engines of renown make compared to petrol engine powered yacht mostly inboards in the dase of sail cruising multihulls.

The ideal cruising hull that will have best value will be a good sailer, motor sailer, combined with great liveaboard space and setup. The personal preferences will always matter like galley up or diwn. A galkey down would be more valuable for me.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 05:05   #33
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
All good comments, I actually prefer inboards, and am seriously spooked about any fire, explosion hazards on a yacht. However I am sure that petrol storage can be done very secure! The price of a yacht will be higher for inboard marine duesel engines of renown make compared to petrol engine powered yacht mostly inboards in the dase of sail cruising multihulls.

The ideal cruising hull that will have best value will be a good sailer, motor sailer, combined with great liveaboard space and setup. The personal preferences will always matter like galley up or diwn. A galkey down would be more valuable for me.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Not always true. PDQ put out an outboard and diesel model in their 36 and 32'ers. I'm not sure about the 32' model but it seems the outboard 36'er holds a better value than the diesel 36'er. The original couple of Seawind 1000's came equipped with diesels and my guess is they would carry a lower value than the outboard models.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 05:54   #34
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
The sales value of a used multihull

Sure nothing is always true! I enjoyed my Tiki30 with Johnson 4stroke outboard until 2007. It was a very basic sail catamaran sailing extremely well with very simple righing, no stays fir mast, sleeve gliding on main mast main sail, hank on jib head sail! I only ever used the outbiard to negotiate shallow coral reef channels like around Bazaruto. Or to go into crowded small craft ports. I liveaboard those days half of my time on the Tiki. It is amazing how uncomplicated cat gives freat liveaboard satisfaction. I generated electricity with the outboard and solar panels and small 1Kw genset. This was more than enough for lights, radio, GPS-chartplotter, depth sounder. All this to clarify that certainly outboard powered cat can be great and it will always a personal choice to have inboards or outboards.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:04   #35
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

It would be great to actually hear from cat owners and the value they put on their cat with details of it!



Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 14:27   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
It would be great to actually hear from cat owners and the value they put on their cat with details of it!
You only know the value of a boat after you sold it. Everythig else is just wishful thinking.
Looking at soldboats.com is the only way to get a bigger picture.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 14:33   #37
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,210
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Whatever the buyer is prepared to pay.. come back to the real world..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 14:41   #38
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
You only know the value of a boat after you sold it. Everythig else is just wishful thinking.

Looking at soldboats.com is the only way to get a bigger picture.

And when you look at soldboats.com keep in mind that your relying on all brokers being honest when they report the sold price.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:09   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
And when you look at soldboats.com keep in mind that your relying on all brokers being honest when they report the sold price.
True! They have an interest in keeping the price level as high as possible.

Plus keep in mind that some of the best deals may never show up in yachtworld or soldboats.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:08   #40
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

I think multihull values are interesting, not debating ob vs diesel lol, it appears that most multis hit a plateau and stay there. selling for roughly 50-70% of their new cost, even 20 plus years old, were on our 4th cat and sold the other 3 in that range, 2 of which were mid 90s. Whats really interesting is some of the older cats and monos are selling for near what they cost when new. I.E. 41 morgan OI from the 70s sold for 25k-29 new and most are double this now. Gemini sold in the 60s to -80s back in the late 80s to early 90s and most are asking 70 to 80% of this. Prouts and Catalacs are somewhere close to their original price (not saying they are getting it but some sell for close. And btw if I could remove my yanmars and saildrives and install 2 honda 15's I would do it in a second 😀

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20   #41
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Hey Ryan, I think your right. An older cat hits a point where it doesn't seem to depreciate anymore. This may be because cats are the cats ass right now and are steadily becoming more popular with a limited supply of used affordable boats. Affordable as far as cats go.
For what it's worth, I saw a Tobago 35 with twin outboards. They were mounted of the rear beam so I would guess cavitation may have been an issue.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02   #42
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I think multihull values are interesting, not debating ob vs diesel lol, it appears that most multis hit a plateau and stay there. selling for roughly 50-70% of their new cost, even 20 plus years old, were on our 4th cat and sold the other 3 in that range, 2 of which were mid 90s. Whats really interesting is some of the older cats and monos are selling for near what they cost when new. I.E. 41 morgan OI from the 70s sold for 25k-29 new and most are double this now. Gemini sold in the 60s to -80s back in the late 80s to early 90s and most are asking 70 to 80% of this. Prouts and Catalacs are somewhere close to their original price (not saying they are getting it but some sell for close. And btw if I could remove my yanmars and saildrives and install 2 honda 15's I would do it in a second 😀

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Very true about value old cats. It is fairly easy to modify saildrive wells to outboard wells!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:02   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hey Ryan, I think your right. An older cat hits a point where it doesn't seem to depreciate anymore. This may be because cats are the cats ass right now and are steadily becoming more popular with a limited supply of used affordable boats. Affordable as far as cats gO.
There seems to be a minimum threshold of around 100k Euro for most mass production cats >35ft. I have seen very very few Lagoon, Privilege or Fountaine Pajot below this mark and there was always a genuine reason for this like significant modifications for day charter or for making it a party barge, a very distant location together with a fully neglected condition, or just because the cat was flipped or sunk.
i am sure that any cat in good condition will fetch above that level.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:27   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,880
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

I don't think it is cat specific.


As long as the boat is maintained in a reasonable condition, at some point the functional value takes precedence over age based depreciation. Inflation plays a big role also.


Several years back, we sold our Silverton31 power boat. We had the original sales receipt on the 30yr old boat and we got 30% more than the original sales price. While the boat was in good condition, it was not anything special.
__________________
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:34   #45
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Africa
Boat: catalac 10m
Posts: 351
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
There seems to be a minimum threshold of around 100k Euro for most mass production cats >35ft. I have seen very very few Lagoon, Privilege or Fountaine Pajot below this mark and there was always a genuine reason for this like significant modifications for day charter or for making it a party barge, a very distant location together with a fully neglected condition, or just because the cat was flipped or sunk.

i am sure that any cat in good condition will fetch above that level.

Minimum value threshold for cats, and monos, should be more depending on how cat is equiped. We all know that our investment in great equipment wont ge won back in the sale of our cats. For me it would add to the value of a cat to find it equipped by an experienced and knowledgeable cruiser.

I am keeping track of new cat developments, prices... and used cats too. I haven't found one that would cost-effectively, practically, be good replacement for my present cat a Catalac 10m. I realize this view might be explained by claiming I am just like other boat owners who love the boat they own enough to boast its qualities not seek willing to admit to its faults!


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull, multihull, sale

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Insurance: Agreed Value vs Actual Cash Value Policies Robertson Dollars & Cents 19 04-02-2013 15:13
Cruisair A/C Units Used Value ? av8djc Powered Boats 5 08-08-2010 17:50
Autoprop - Used Value Conch Cruzer Monohull Sailboats 4 30-07-2009 18:11



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.