Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 18:10   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

I'm sure folding props would help, at a cost of quite a few thousand dollars. For the cost of a couple of decent folding props I could completely re power with two new outboards.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 18:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I doubt that, especially with folding props, but if anyone wants to donate an old sail drive leg ill trail it behind us next sail and give an exact speed difference with/without
We can sort of do that with our outboards - see the difference in sailing speed with them lowered and raised. They have fixed props of course, but the difference can be more than a knot depending on the actual speed.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 19:08   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yeah good point, I hadn't thought of that. Sounds easier than attaching an extra sail drive to Sephina! Well if your feeling experimental give us some figures next time you sail. Maybe remove a prop to simulate folding props. I can imagine fixed props slowing speeds up to a knot or so, but the sail drive is a pretty fluid dynamic foil shape so probably closer to an outboard leg without a prop.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 23:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

All fery informative. I didn't realize actually that the thrift hetween inboard and outboard multihull arguers is similar to the one between mono or multihull. Firgive my Englush, but you get the pijnt, I hope. Where does all this leave us putting price on used multihull.

Just out of curiosity, so where you multinoutboard guys actually store your petrol?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:49   #20

I guess that the petrol is hold in the tanks that the manufacturer designed on the boat if it's not conversion. And about the asking price, it's the same with all the boats. If there's lot of demand, price is higher and visa versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:46   #21

I know of several diesel boats converted to outboard. I wouldn't rule out a diesel (in fact looking at one right now) but all else being equal I would take the outboard powered boat.

Your diesel vs outboard argument made sense 25-30yrs ago when you had a monohull with a 2 stroke outboard bolted to the back easily submerged where you had to pre-mix 2stroke oil, outboards got 1/3 the fuel economy and solar charging was cost and space prohibitive while the engine may only put out 2-3amps and any leaks in the fuel system were destined for the bilge.

In todays world, 4stroke engines are pretty close on MPG, running an expensive diesel for a 1000hrs per year at the worst possible speed just to charge the batteries, is a fading method with solar being more effective. Gas tanks built into the bridge decks allow for bottom venting (similar to cars which no one is paranoid about) Catamarans are light and ride atop the waves so swamping the engine isn't a major concern if the boat was designed for them (of course if you swamp the air intake on a diesel, you have the same issue). Sailboats are by nature redundantly powered, you have the motor and the sails. Assuming you have a dingy with a motor, you have a 3rd level of redundancy by either hip tying the dingy or adding a spring loaded motor mount to keep the dingy motor on while sailing.

The main reason to go twin engine is not for the guy doing long open water passages followed by months anchored out. These sailors don't need the fine control provided by twin engines. It's the inexperienced marina sailors who benefit from the control provided by twin engines.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:58   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
I doubt that, especially with folding props, but if anyone wants to donate an old sail drive leg ill trail it behind us next sail and give an exact speed difference with/without
You already have a big cat/ motor boat there. I have a 34' performance sailboat. So you stick 1000 pounds plus the drag it makes a big difference. Kinda like putting a 1000 lbs.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Sorry to interrupt an interesting discussion of the merits of outboard engines vs. inboard diesels and solar charging systems - but...

Back to the original question as I understand it - "Different (What) factors can determine the sales value, asking price for our used multihulls, ..."

The main factor that determines the sales value of a boat is what a buyer is willing to pay for it. The best indication of this is checking Sold Boats to see what others have paid for a similarly equipped boat of the same year and make. Location and tax could effect it slightly - but the biggest factor will be the condition of the boat as compared to other similar boats which have recently sold.

Ok - now back to outboards vs. inboards!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:35   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
You already have a big cat/ motor boat there. I have a 34' performance sailboat. So you stick 1000 pounds plus the drag it makes a big difference. Kinda like putting a 1000 lbs.

The yanmar 20hp and saildrives is 150 kg
The Honda 20hp is 50kg

The yanmar 40hp and saildrive is 220kg
The Honda 40hp is 100kg

So the weight difference is close to 100kg each, 200kg for two, or 400lb for 2. About the same as 2 big guys in the cockpit and not something I'd be overly concerned about personally.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:46   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Like most other expert consultant engineer types you fail to use real numbers!

The Honda specs are compete with prop just add 1L or gearcase oil.

The yanmars are dry add, antifreeze, exhaust hose, mufflers, engine mounts, engine beds, likely heavier fuel tanks, engine start batteries of sufficient CCAs, etc. So call it 1000 lbs.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:00   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hah well I think we can agree to disagree that those components don't equal 600lbs so let's say it's somewhere between our guesstimates
Old 12-04-2015, 07:20   #27

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Anyone know just how much extra weight is involved in adding an inboard. Prop, shaft, struts, stuffing box, transmission, alternator/generator, starter, and maybe other stuff need to be mentioned.

I have seen lots of inboard in tiny spaces with limited access so, at least for me a well designed install would also mean a big engine room which would add weight and cost.

Both inboards and outboards have there place, but for the vast majority of folks an outboard seems to be the best bang for the buck and would add to the value of the boat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:18   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Hah well I think we can agree to disagree that those components don't equal 600lbs so let's say it's somewhere between our guesstimates
Whether the difference in weight is 400lbs or 800 lbs you have to look at the boat it's going on. Your cat could easily handle the extra weight and drag without that much of a hit to the performance. Boatguys cat, not so much.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:04   #29
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

True, and I don't think I'd consider outboards for a 10t/3t payload cat where the weight difference is less noticeable than a 6t/1-2t payload cat in which case weight saving is a much bigger factor in performance.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:19   #30

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

For hundreds if not thousands of years folks have been sailing boats with no motors at all. Many of those folks would view what some are calling an under powered gas guzzling outboard as a god send and a powerful diesel allowing a boat to motor against a powerful wind and tide as a miracle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull, sale