Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 12:20   #61

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran
Re: The right fishing reel for sail cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I believe they are also called "cuban yo-yos" in some places. You might try also searching that name as well-

Just as an example - there are other better quality, heavier duty, ones for your purposes https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/offs...er-cuban-yo-yo
Thanks just needed the right name to order a set up for our Trimaran.
Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:52   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

I fully endorse this approach to fishing while sailing. Rods and reels are a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
10 inch hand caster, rope, 100lb mono
Attached to boat with bicycle tube to take the hit
Trolled like that for 30+ years.

Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:28   #63

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

When you guys have been trolling with the handspools/yo-yos, do you let all the line out on the troll?

The gap in my understanding is how you stop the spool from unrolling - if you decide to only let out 40 feet, out of say, 100 feet on the spool. Wouldn't a fish strike want to unspool the rest of the line, before you could get to it? On the other hand, if you troll with all the spool's line out - wouldn't the strong first run of a tuna break the line, if there was no additional line to feed it, against the resistance of a drag? I'm assuming the first strike happens when the spool is attached to the pulpit railing, and not being held in the hand. It looks like a great option, but I've always been sketchy how to actually troll for tuna sized fish with one.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:31   #64

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I rig mine w 100' and let it all out each time. Keep in mind thats only a 2-3 boat lengths behind for the typical cruising boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 14:13   #65

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
When you guys have been trolling with the handspools/yo-yos, do you let all the line out on the troll?

The gap in my understanding is how you stop the spool from unrolling - if you decide to only let out 40 feet, out of say, 100 feet on the spool. Wouldn't a fish strike want to unspool the rest of the line, before you could get to it? On the other hand, if you troll with all the spool's line out - wouldn't the strong first run of a tuna break the line, if there was no additional line to feed it, against the resistance of a drag? I'm assuming the first strike happens when the spool is attached to the pulpit railing, and not being held in the hand. It looks like a great option, but I've always been sketchy how to actually troll for tuna sized fish with one.

I’m learning just as you are from the responses on this thread. Keep it coming those who do catch fish on passages.

For a hand line/spool I assume very strong line (200, 300, 400 or even more pound line) and very strong leader will handle the strike. Maybe not for a big marlin, but they probably won’t go for a lure on big obvious gear either. Also, the bungy or innertube attaching the spool to the boat provides some give for the strike and with a noisemaker of some sort announces the strike.

Is that right? It’s how I’m planning to set up.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 15:03   #66

To take shock load of the strike I have heavy bungee with a line backup between my Cuban Rig and its attachment point (cleat, rail, ...).

I also rig a section of 50LB mono as a weak link. Anything that breaks that is probably bigger than we are equipped to safely handle.
Old 12-07-2019, 15:55   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I also rig a section of 50LB mono as a weak link. Anything that breaks that is probably bigger than we are equipped to safely handle.

That's extremely ethical and wise.

Coming first myself from a fishing background -- I can tell you, the notion of a fisherman rigging his line to actually break if a BIG fish gets on -- almost shocks the very conscience to the point of suspension. Aghast in horror and confusion. You definitely have good and admirable reasons for doing so, and I'm sure it will pay off in luck with the fish gods.
Old 12-07-2019, 17:36   #68

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I have a loop in the last 3m of line for the bunny. Tail is on a mooring cleat with sufficient to get onto a primary winch.
Dont stop or heave to. If I can't pull it in, on the winch it goes. The fish usually planes on top of the water, so load is not normally huge, but gloves are needed.
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 18:07   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
If I can't pull it in, on the winch it goes. The fish usually planes on top of the water, so load is not normally huge, but gloves are needed.

Well hold on a second now... that sounds like you're really fishing with a reel. Reel with a big a** crank too... kinda smart though..
Old 12-07-2019, 19:04   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I've been dragging a fishing line behind my respective sailboats for nigh on 35 years....
I have some Penn Senator reels that are probably older than me, but also the newer Penn Squall 50's.......I have them spooled with 50 lb mono......I did try the braid......but if it tangles or otherwise knots up...fugetaboutit....
I've never had a problem with these reels. Ever ! These rods and reels spend 99% of their time outside in rod holders. Once in a while I will spray them down with WD40. My rods are all 6' long and pretty stout. Nothing special, I buy the cheapest strongest rods I can find, From time to time I have to replace line guides as they simply corrode to pieces
I'll set up two rods from the stern and two more that are angled out from the stanchions.
I don't set the lures too far back as an old fisherman told me to set the lures in the boat's wake as this helps disguise the line and leader, so I'm guessing 50-75' behind the boat. This short distance also keeps most of the line out of the water.
I set the drag with my hand so that it is not to tight as I don't want the hook to pull out of the fishes mouth. The reels have a clicker that lets me know when there is a " fish on"
By the time I get to the rod once the clicker has gone off, the fish has probably taken another 50' of line.
Like others on here, I don't stop the boat, but I will ease the the sails to slow down.
Typically, a fish caught behind a sailboat is already on top of the water. The trick is to keep their head out of the water and then just reel them in.
I use a steel leader wire at the end of all my line....about a 5' length of130 lb test.....and a good swivel. Very important to have the best swivel ( stainless steel ball bearing is a must) you can buy as you don't want your bait or lure to twist and turn.
As far as lures go, there is a plethora to choose from, but the one's I use are typically trolling lures about 6-9" in length, feathers and an assortment of colors and plastic streamers and also some silver spoons. I find the spoons mostly attract barracuda, so I don't often use them. In addition to that I have diving lures that will go around 5' below the water. These work good, but require a tighter drag. Rapala makes a large selection. I don't use these lures in open water, but I will use these lures when I know I'm close to a reef, island or other hard bottom.....relatively close that is.
I've never caught a fish trolling at under 5 knots....7-8 knots seems to be a good speed.
That being said, I have caught my share of barracuda, dolphin, cobia, various tuna, shark, and other fish I don't recognize.
Most fish are in the 20 lb or under range, but once in a while, a big fish will strip all the line from the spool and/or break the line, this usually takes a few seconds...and I have no idea what fish it is that does that. The reel literally zings like crazy and then it's all over and you are left with an empty reel.
There is never any way of telling what is out there. I have gone days without a single hit and days where I can fill my freezer in 30 minutes.
A good long very strong gaff is a must. Another pair of hands at this point is most helpful
Bringing a fish aboard is always an interesting experience, especially a big 'un. As I don't have an outside cooler, I will subdue, clean and fillet the fish as soon as I'm able, typically less than 15 minutes after being caught. I keep a bucket with a brush and soap handy to clean up after. Also some freezer bags. Some fish , like tuna, make a big mess, when cleaning
Once the freezer is full, I will put the rods up.
As much as I like fresh seafood, catching, cleaning a big fish on a moving sailboat deck is a lot of work. A lot of work !! I much prefer to go to a fish store !
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 09:03   #71

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
A good long very strong gaff is a must.
How long is long?

i made a gaff from a 4' piece of aluminum tube and a SS hook sharpened. i also could use a 10' boathook that i made from a swimming pool pole and another SS hook, unsharpened.

Lotsa good info here. i like the suggestion to use a rod and reel with monofiliment and use the yo-yo with heavy braided line.

i also appreciate the suggestion to use bait about 6-8" long so you can catch fish about 20lbs. Did i understand this correctly?

Thanks all!

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 07:08   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I gotta tell you....a gaff is good....but a big wide mouth net is better. Let the fish swim into the net and hoist it aboard....the net will keep the fish contained.
A gaff with a fish on the end is difficult and dangerous to handle on a sailboat.
You've got to dodge bare feet.....rigging, booms, bimini's....dinghy's in davits, etc...
I have a big net like that. The handle can slip inside the net when not being used for easy storage.
The other thing I can recommend is a " lip gripper"...it's a device that that you can grip the fish's mouth it while you extract the hook. There are several varieties available. Bogagrip is the orginal one.
As far as lures go, ha, any bait shop will have racks and racks of bling to sell you.
I like to use the stubbies....these are round plastic flat ended about 1" in diameter with a variety of feathers and other plastic skirts dangling on them.
I like the colors red, yellow and green or any combination of that. Sometimes a splash of silver is good too. You can buy lures with a metal head as well.
I typically use a #7 hook 3X strong on a steel leader, about 5' long. Between the leader and line tie a swivel. Get the best you can afford. Stainless steel ball bearing swivels are the way to go. You don't want the lure to rotate.
Trolling for fish is a hit or miss thing. When I'm anchored I like to put a spinning rod on the dink and bottom fish and typically have far more luck this way catching fish than trolling.
Good luck to ya !
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 06:07   #73

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Reporting back ....

Made the trip from Rock Hall Maryland to Mystic Connecticut via the Atlantic. instead of a handline, I got a medium class rod and a conventional reel spooled with 300 yards of 60 lb test. I trolled some lures for striper and got nothing, and then realizing that all the fish were on the surface, I used a crocodile spoon with 2 oz of weight above the swivel with approximately 6 ft leader. Starting to catching mackerel one after the other. We were just entertaining ourselves as we were crossing the Atlantic. Set the clicker on the real and turn the drag so that it would detect when a fish hit but wouldn't click with just lure out. Sat on the port gunnel and reel the fish in. Didn't need a net or gas just put some gloves on and pulled the fish in by the leader. Ultimately, I ended up with some king mackerel for dinner. as one of the previous posters said, if there's no picture it didn't happen, here's a picture of one of the king mackerels. underneath that are for regular macros that I also filleted and black and for dinner.

Thanks for all of the tips!!!

BenClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_160909877.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	196739
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 09:33   #74

[emoji106]
Old 28-07-2019, 10:00   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Reporting back ....

Made the trip from Rock Hall Maryland to Mystic Connecticut via the Atlantic. instead of a handline, I got a medium class rod and a conventional reel spooled with 300 yards of 60 lb test. I trolled some lures for striper and got nothing, and then realizing that all the fish were on the surface, I used a crocodile spoon with 2 oz of weight above the swivel with approximately 6 ft leader. Starting to catching mackerel one after the other. We were just entertaining ourselves as we were crossing the Atlantic. Set the clicker on the real and turn the drag so that it would detect when a fish hit but wouldn't click with just lure out. Sat on the port gunnel and reel the fish in. Didn't need a net or gas just put some gloves on and pulled the fish in by the leader. Ultimately, I ended up with some king mackerel for dinner. as one of the previous posters said, if there's no picture it didn't happen, here's a picture of one of the king mackerels. underneath that are for regular macros that I also filleted and black and for dinner.

Thanks for all of the tips!!!

BenAttachment 196739

Sailing on your own boat like that - catching fish, having a good time - how can you ever beat that? Alternative might be fighting traffic, airport security, hotel reservations, taxi fares, and $100 fish dinners every night. I'm a tightwad.

Tags
cruising, fish, fishing, sail