Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-03-2014, 17:55   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: The remaining question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Rewiring for 230 volts is a breeze. The 120v volt wiring will already be oversized so all you would have to do is change the receptacles. Not that I'm pushing the Gemini!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Umm.. no.
I work to code. Insurance has a way of not paying up for anything these days.
New 230 volt Circuit distribution board, correct herz and breakers. 30 amp circuits for power and 5 amp for lights. Correct wiring... Its a full on inspection in the survey. Plus separate circuits for ancilliaries. Correct mains lead to shore power. Marinas in Europe get upset if you pop their circuits...
Not a huge biggie but I dont want to do it unless I have to.

weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 18:44   #62
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Umm.. no.
I work to code. Insurance has a way of not paying up for anything these days.
New 230 volt Circuit distribution board, correct herz and breakers. 30 amp circuits for power and 5 amp for lights. Correct wiring... Its a full on inspection in the survey. Plus separate circuits for ancilliaries. Correct mains lead to shore power. Marinas in Europe get upset if you pop their circuits...
Not a huge biggie but I dont want to do it unless I have to.

Yes, but the hardest part which is running new wires doesn't need to be done. Much easier going from 120-230 than 230-120.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 26-03-2014, 06:32   #63
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Does anyone else get the feeling that this thread devolved into something akin to "I got that old time religion"? I mean, I quite like Catalacs and think they would suit the intended use of the OP quite well, but......

And Tropic cat, I have no idea how my being able to see light through solid fiberglass laminates reflects on my sailing experience, but yours certainly must be different than mine if you are able to sail your Catalac within 35 degrees apparent (or 40 degrees including leeway)!

Brad
Old 26-03-2014, 07:16   #64

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
The remaining question.

Both Hunter and PCI were struggling thru economic downturn until Marlowe bought out Hunter, later acquiring PCI. http://www.cruisingworld.com/news/ma...ips-first-boat

Tony's daughter is not CEO but she is in some type of leadership role for the gemini Legacy. Warren Luhrs re designed the cockpit and other areas to modernize this small cat, adding space in critical areas such as headroom in the head, taller cockpit roof,, etc. the weak laminate schedule has been beefed up. I did not feel any deck flex at any time during my three visits to the boat. The bridgedeck clearance at the transom will be almost non existent when you add weight for cruising. Bummer.

Older gemini owners reject the Legacy as not a true gemini. I partially agree but the Legacy is a sweet boat. I would buy a newer mono hull before I bought an MC105. The new Legacy pricing kills the deal for me as it competes now with true blue water French and SA production cats. The used cat market offers a wide selection that might be a few years old but you can have what you want for $250k US. Double bummer.
Old 26-03-2014, 08:06   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Laura Hershfeld
Performance Cruising
sales@performancecruising.com
www.performancecruising.com
www.performancecruising.com

Performance Cruising New Management Team
Laura Smith Hershfeld announced as President

Annapolis, Maryland, 9 August 2009: Tony and Sue Smith are very pleased to announce the sale of Performance Cruising Inc. to a management Group led by their daughter, Laura Smith Hershfeld.

Laura Smith Hershfeld has been appointed as President of Performance Cruising Inc. and will continue to manage the company where she has worked for the last 16 years.

Performance Cruising Inc. is the oldest, largest and most successful catamaran builder in the US and has built more than 1,000 of the highly successful Gemini 34 model over the last 20 years. In what has been a true family business since it's founding by Tony and Sue Smith in 1980, PCI now goes forward into the future under the management of the next generation of the Smith family.

Tony and Sue will be heading south to Florida and the Bahamas in the fall aboard their own Gemini 105 upon the completion of the transition period. "Sue and I are very happy to have handed over the management of our family business to our daughter, Laura. She has inherited an excellent team of craftsmen, many of whom have been with us for more than a decade and are personally attached to both the product and the reputation that they have helped us create and build over the years."

Laura Smith Hershfeld stated that "this is the culmination of a life's work for my parents and I am looking forward to continuing the legacy and the product that they have built."

Tony Smith is also pleased to announce that a long-term management contract has been signed with The Annapolis Catamaran Center (ACC), a division of The Catamaran Company, with regard to the operation of the marina at Performance Cruising Inc. ACC will be operating the marina and docks to provide dockage for their current catamaran clients and to offer dockage to those catamarans for sale on the market. The Catamaran Company currently offers this service at their Ft Lauderdale and Tortola, BVI locations to their local clients and are very pleased to be able to now offer this same service to their Mid-Atlantic customers also.

ABOUT PERFORMANCE CRUISING:
Performance Cruising is the largest catamaran boat builder in the United States with over 1000 catamarans sold thus far. The gemini catamaran design has benefitted from five major model changes over the production run and countless refinements so that today's Gemini 105Mc catamarans for sale represent the pinnacle of practical cruising catamaran design.
Old 26-03-2014, 08:22   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Performance Cruising Announces Partnership with Hunter Marine

2 November 2010: After 30 years and over 1,100 deliveries of the Gemini catamaran, there are major changes coming to the Gemini catamaran and Performance Cruising Inc.
These changes are designed to expand the market for the successful Gemini design as well as to provide improved support options for existing owners. Laura Smith Hershfeld, Performance Cruising President and the daughter of the Gemini designer Tony Smith, announced the changes along with John Peterson of Hunter Marine at the United States Sailboat Show on October 14, 2010.
“Performance Cruising will continue to design, market and support the Gemini catamaran. Production will move to Hunter Marine’s factory in Alachua, Florida,” said Hershfeld. “Our family and crew here in Annapolis have a long, proud history of building this boat but the current economic climate demands smart changes. There’s a unique opportunity here for a big step forward for the Gemini.” Performance Cruising will continue to operate the sales and owner support and Gemini service center from its 18 slip marina and 40,000 sq ft facility located on Back Creek in Annapolis, Maryland.
“There are a number of strategic reasons why Performance Cruising persued this venture with Hunter Marine”, Hershfeld explained. Hunter Marine’s production philosophy closely matches that of Performance Cruising. Both companies excel at producing high quality, performance sailboats at a reasonable price. Hunter Marine produces an average of over 3,000 boats each year resulting in tremendous purchasing power. In addition, the sharing of the production overheads and Hunter’s extensive dealer network are two of the major reasons Performance Cruising pursued the new venture. Hunter Marine’s facility is also located closer to the region where many Gemini’s are sold resulting in reduced shipping charges for the majority of new Gemini owners.
“Many things won’t be changing as a result of the new partnership,” said Hershfeld. “Our owners love that Gemini is a one-of-a-kind so we won’t be losing any of what makes a Gemini a Gemini.” Hershfeld explains that the centerboard system, lifting rudders and performance nature of the Gemini are integral to the design. “It’s what separates the Gemini from the other boats in her size range.” Changes to the Gemini that have already gone into effect in the 2011 model include an entirely new Hunter Marine-built interior with finished rosewood, a myriad of new options and numerous fit and finish improvements throughout the boat. “To have Hunter take on the building the whole boat to our specifications is the next logical step and it provides benefits to everyone involved, including NMMA certification.” said Hershfeld
Hunter Marine president, John Peterson, also sees a variety of benefits. “Certainly we have customers with an interest in catamarans and with the addition of the Gemini, they can stay in our family and enjoy the benefits of a cruising catamaran with the build-quality and advanced systems that Hunter Marine is known for.” Hunter Marine dealers will also be distributing the Gemini Catamatan which greatly increases exposure for the new boat.
Tony Smith, Gemini’s original architect, engineer and builder for the past 20 years, will continue to play a hands-on consulting role in the design of the Gemini even as it is produced by Hunter Marine. “Anyone who knows my dad also knows that this design has been his passion for 30 years,” said Hershfeld. “It’s an exciting time for all us Gemini fans. We have achieved the impossible over the last 30 years from the exclusive engineering by Tony. We’re now combining that with an entire team of first-rate engineers from Hunter. There’s a springboard for innovation with this partnership,” said Hershfeld.
Performance Cruising will continue to operate as a family business with Laura Smith Hershfeld working as President and Tony Smith consulting with Hunter Marine to combine Gemini innovation with Hunter Marine’s production and engineering expertise. “Gemini is about more than the sum of her parts. 30 years in, it’s still a revolutionary idea to offer performance, innovation and comfort in a cruiser-friendly catamaran that regular people can afford. And we do it better than anyone,” said Hershfeld.
ABOUT GEMINI CATAMARANS:
Performance Cruising is the largest catamaran boat builder in the United States with over 1000 catamarans sold thus far. The gemini catamaran design has benefitted from five major model changes over the production run and countless refinements so that today’s Gemini 105Mc catamarans for sale represent the pinnacle of practical cruising catamaran design.
- END -
Old 26-03-2014, 10:44   #67
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I wonder if this sorted itself out in an unexpected fashion?

"...“Our owners love that Gemini is a one-of-a-kind so we won’t be losing any of what makes a Gemini a Gemini.” Hershfeld explains that the centerboard system, lifting rudders and performance nature of the Gemini are integral to the design. “It’s what separates the Gemini from the other boats in her size range.” ..."

Yet ...try and find marketing info on a Gemini that matches that description, which was the old 105MC. As near as I can tell, all of it has been removed from their respective websites leaving the Legacy 35 as the only Gemini for sale.

Anyone see anything on the Gemini 105 MC?
Old 26-03-2014, 11:31   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I wonder if this sorted itself out in an unexpected fashion?

"...“Our owners love that Gemini is a one-of-a-kind so we won’t be losing any of what makes a Gemini a Gemini.” Hershfeld explains that the centerboard system, lifting rudders and performance nature of the Gemini are integral to the design. “It’s what separates the Gemini from the other boats in her size range.” ..."

Yet ...try and find marketing info on a Gemini that matches that description, which was the old 105MC. As near as I can tell, all of it has been removed from their respective websites leaving the Legacy 35 as the only Gemini for sale.

Anyone see anything on the Gemini 105 MC?
Someone on the yahoo group indicated a while back that they might build one on request but clearly the Hunter Legacy Catamaran is what they are building now.

While I bear no ill will towards the design, it is a drastically different boat.
Old 27-03-2014, 00:52   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling that this thread devolved into something akin to "I got that old time religion"? I mean, I quite like Catalacs and think they would suit the intended use of the OP quite well, but......

And Tropic cat, I have no idea how my being able to see light through solid fiberglass laminates reflects on my sailing experience, but yours certainly must be different than mine if you are able to sail your Catalac within 35 degrees apparent (or 40 degrees including leeway)!

Brad
You can see light through pretty thick fibreglass, if it isn't painted or gelcoated. Funnily enough, the better the lamination, (resin:glass ratio, less voids) the more translucent.
Old 29-03-2014, 08:30   #70

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
The remaining question.

When I first contracted the cat bug, the official factory dealer in Ft Lauderdale told me MC105 on request but since then, out of production.

A drastically different boat? (Legacy vs MC105) that may be pushing it as it uses the same but reconfigured molds. Yes, no kick up rudders, skegs vs boards, no single engine stiletto drive (most would say hooray). But with so many upgrades, it's an improved version. You may not agree if your a former model owner and I can appreciate that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: