Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-03-2014, 16:02   #31
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Re: The remaining question.

I was in contact with her for a while during the time I war arguing with Tropic Cat about Gemini's. I was not able to get a lot of coherent information at the time. She basically told me that they were in a transition phase, and steered me toward customers with used boats to sell. I was actually also interested in the Telestar trimarans at the time. Along with the Corsairs, which were originally Ian Farrier, which got moved to Vietnam. The Corsair, I meant, got moved to Vietnam. Ian F did not move to Vietnam. ANd of course he hates the boats they build.

Old 24-03-2014, 16:03   #32
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

When was that ? 2 years ago?

Old 24-03-2014, 16:04   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I see Seawind has moved majority production to Vietnam as well.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:08   #34
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Yes ... that's right. The 105MC wasn't selling. If it was no one would have spent the cash to modify the moulds, as there's no going back. That was the original point. Is his daughter the President of Marlo-Hunter?

Fact is Tony had been building boats for over 40 years and wanted to retire. Over 1000 Geminis built and they had a following so I believe they were still selling. Probably got to sweet of a deal from Hunter to pass up. Yes they are old designs, but not as old as Catalacs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-03-2014, 16:14   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Fact is Tony had been building boats for over 40 years and wanted to retire. Over 1000 Geminis built and they had a following so I believe they were still selling. Probably got to sweet of a deal from Hunter to pass up. Yes they are old designs, but not as old as Catalacs?

You seem a bit touchy on this subject. Did you have stock in the guys company?

And you are right of course, Catalacs are older. Yet take an afternoon, find a 25 year old Catalac and a 10 year old Gemini in the same boatyard and then come back to this thread and post your comments.

I want to be clear about one point that's been glossed over. Both Canibul and myself set out to buy a Gemini Catamaran. Both of us bought Catalac Catamaran instead although it was 7 years apart. The question was asked by the OP and we're trying to explain why we made this choice.

My thoughts on this very subject were published long ago here:
Old 24-03-2014, 16:19   #36
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
You seem a bit touchy on this subject. Did you have stock in the guys company?

And you are right of course, Catalacs are older. Yet take an afternoon, find a 25 year old Catalac and a 10 year old Gemini in the same boatyard and then come back to this thread and post your comments.

jess sayin...

Not touchy at all, just don't know who feeds you your info.

There's absolutely no doubt about it, Catalacs are much better built than Geminis and age way better. But then take an afternoon sailing the two and you realize the benefit of the lighter boat. The Gemini would leave the Catalac hulls down in a very short time. It's all about priorities.

Old 24-03-2014, 16:20   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ive been looking for the information I received about the cessation of the 105 production.
From memory, coz I cant find it, it was simply that costs had increased and the sales had slowed. hunter and Gemini were not buddies, but both were suffering from lack of product movement, and a merger seemed beneficial for both. Hunter had a great reputation for building and Tony for his design...
the rest is in their new boat.
Old 24-03-2014, 16:22   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Tropic cat, I'm not saying that the laminating schedule on the Gemini was anything to write home about (and I suspect that the tendancy towards stress cracks may reflect this), but I don't believe that light passing through is necessarily a sign of inadequate thickness. I had a fiberglass folkboat (Continental 25 built by Whitby Boatworks ) a number of years ago that had a solid fiberglass hull built in the 1960's virtually to the thickness of wood scantlings - way too heavy! Prior to having her awlgripped, in places where the gelcoat was thin/damaged and the interior surface was not painted, you could definitely see daylight through from outside (a sort of light pink color, as I recall). Pretty common in solid glass hulls, I would think.

Brad
Yeah, you are right about light passing thru.... I've had heavy built boats that passed it quite well. It may be more of a function of thin gel coat. Glass passes light quite well!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 16:25   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Not touchy at all, just don't know who feeds you your info.

There's absolutely no doubt about it, Catalacs are much better built than Geminis and age way better. But then take an afternoon sailing the two and you realize the benefit of the lighter boat. The Gemini would leave the Catalac hulls down in a very short time. It's all about priorities.

\

I would agree with this. But that wasn't the question posted in this thread.

As to who "feeds" me info?

I do my own homework. I've sailed on all these boats, and worked on them at times. My buddy did the stern rebuild on the Gemini I mentioned. I was asked for my opinion when the owner was getting bids.
Old 24-03-2014, 19:16   #40

Wink Re: The remaining question.

Quote:

I have narrowed by selection to, and between a Catalac 9 or 10, and a Gemini 105 MC. Ive joined the Gemini owners club on Yahoo, but am not impressed really because its full of really enthusiastic people reveling in the stories of replacing this and that and how to fix a problem using a winch and tubes of silicone sealer whilst opening their wallets and extracting large amounts of money. Ok.. I guess if I owned one it would be useful. I do like the boat and the quirks are known and its not too bad to look at.

Me thinks the Catalac and the Gemini come from the same stable of design. Different build quality and other things but each has its its good points. I like them both.

However, I have no experience with Centerboards.I know when they rot, they are expensive to fix. I know when you leave them down in certain sea conditions you might be kissing your tush goodbye.

This is the one question that has yet to be answered for me to complete my choice.[/QUOTE]

You might find the Boat US Review of the Gemini informative. Review states ONLY 20% of Gemini owners reported problems with hull blisters. Really? Only 20%? I have a 1983 Catalac. Boat has never had a blister and I have yet to find a Catalac owner whose boat has blistered. What's the difference? Mats in the layup process. Not all "all fiberglass hulls" derive from the same manufacturing process.

I considered a Gemini when I was looking for my first boat. The broker warned me against the purchase, then opened up the forward lockers and compartments to show me large cracks, gaps, and other structural flaws that he felt made the Gemini no more than a "fair" coastal cruiser and definitely not suitable for being on the water out of sight of the coastline.

You seem to consider the Gemini and the Catalac quite comparable. Take a look at the difference in fiberglass in the hulls and you may feel differently. However, I do think the Gemini would be a choice as a platform for chugging down a few beers with your friends, so no question it will satisfy at least one of your identified needs for the boat! LOL

Buy the Catalac. You won't regret it.
Old 24-03-2014, 19:49   #41
smj

I think the 8m Catalac is probably the best buy for the dollar you can find. Great layout, huge cockpit, good bridgedeck clearance and strong construction but pretty damn slow. If it was me I would look for an outboard powered 8m as it would sail better than the twin diesel model. The Gemini is lighter built, really low bridgedeck clearance has circumnavigated and I've never heard of one self destructing but if kept light will sail well. Once again priorities.

Old 25-03-2014, 00:37   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think the 8m Catalac is probably the best buy for the dollar you can find. Great layout, huge cockpit, good bridgedeck clearance and strong construction but pretty damn slow. If it was me I would look for an outboard powered 8m as it would sail better than the twin diesel model. The Gemini is lighter built, really low bridgedeck clearance has circumnavigated and I've never heard of one self destructing but if kept light will sail well. Once again priorities.
I think I read somewhere that the hull was the same as the 9m. Regarding sailing better, are you refering to the outboard being a better sailer becaise of the weight reduction from losing the diesels? In looking at 8m in the UK for sale, I see they are a huge price difference from the 9M. Its not a model I considered looking at but will do so now. There seems to be a fair few knocking around the 'for sale' ads in the UK at the moment. They still need fitting out with cruising equipment, liferaft and navigation etc, but its a substantial saving and I guess you get to choose what you want to put into it.

For the cruising I envision, 4.5-6 knots (My Eventide cruised all round Wales/South West in the UK doing this and I was entirely content) will be fine. If Im out there on the water heading in the right direction, the sails are full and I have coffee in the pot, it doesnt matter if it takes me two or 4 hours longer over 120 miles than someone else... I can fly if I need to be there quicker. I like sailing comfortably and safely. Im also ok with the idea that the boat Im sailing has not cost more than my house.

I looked at the Catalac 10m in Turkey for sale. Great boat/price but a long sail back to Spain. 1250-1350 miles. With stops and weather, its 2-4 weeks depending on distractions. it is a project to move it.

Im not going to do anything until the year end and then will step into something and change direction completely.

Thanks for the tip.
g
Old 25-03-2014, 01:03   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another FWIW,

An 8 m. cat will have a sort of cute little footprint. Have you checked about berths in the area where you want to have her as a pied a terre?

A question to which the answers might be interesting: if the weather piped up unexpectedly, obviously the Gemini might scream along, but which would take better care of your guests and yourself?

Ann
Old 25-03-2014, 02:09   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An 8 m. cat will have a sort of cute little footprint. Have you checked about berths in the area where you want to have her as a pied a terre?

Yes. A 35/36 foot Cat is reasonable price for the berth where Im looking at.

A question to which the answers might be interesting: if the weather piped up unexpectedly, obviously the Gemini might scream along, but which would take better care of your guests and yourself?

It might not be just the Gemini screaming. You dont know my nieces.
Old 25-03-2014, 04:53   #45
cruiser

The Catalac 8M and the Catalac 9M share the same hull. The 9M has a better layout as the cabin is larger and cockpit smaller than the 8M. Speaking of the 8M cockpit, it's probably one of the largest cockpits afloat on <12 meter boat.

I've posted that the Catalac 8M is capable of 7 knots and decent pointing and agree that the outboard equipped boat is a bit quicker in light winds. However, who cares? The expanded capability of the twin diesels far outweighs a 1/2 knot of boat speed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: