Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 07:12   #451

Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
15 years agoo he?
Do you see in this pictures any Deep draft monohull??
It was more an issue between the bigger cruising boats drawing 4-5' and the fishing boats that could sneak thru 2' but the principal is the same.

You asked for an example but condo-marinas all have similar operations where big costs get passed on to slip owners.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:16   #452

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It was more an issue between the bigger cruising boats drawing 4-5' and the fishing boats that could sneak thru 2' but the principal is the same.

You asked for an example but condo-marinas all have similar operations where big costs get passed on to slip owners.
The draft in a L440 or a L57 run between 4 and 5 ft.. typical cruising monohull between 6 or 7 ft ... whats the deal here?

Oh wait, maybe you have daggerboards and the condoLagoons are not real multihulls?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:17   #453
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Yes but that normally happens with the monthly association fees. Marina maintenance is included in that and only unforeseen costs are assessed separately.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:23   #454
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes but that normally happens with the monthly association fees. Marina maintenance is included in that and only unforeseen costs are assessed separately.

Something as costly as dredging would probably come as a special assessment.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:27   #455

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Something as costly as dredging would probably come as a special assessment.
Replacing docks is costly as well. If it is part of regular maintenance, it is in the fees.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:35   #456
smj

Quote:
Replacing docks is costly as well. If it is part of regular maintenance, it is in the fees.

I wouldn't bet on that
Old 06-03-2017, 07:41   #457

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I wouldn't bet on that
It's not a matter of betting as it is in the agreements, regulations etc. I actually bought a slip in a condo marina recently and all dock maintenance is included. But the monthly fee is stiff as well. When you have a condo with light fees then that is a sign that there will be regular assessments. But the documents will still list what is included with the monthly fees and what is not
Old 06-03-2017, 07:47   #458
smj

Quote:
It's not a matter of betting as it is in the agreements, regulations etc. I actually bought a slip in a condo marina recently and all dock maintenance is included. But the monthly fee is stiff as well. When you have a condo with light fees then that is a sign that there will be regular assessments. But the documents will still list what is included with the monthly fees and what is not

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-03-2017, 10:25   #459

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I wish this thread would end. It is built upon an unsupported premise, and just took off because so many, myself included, bit into the early responses. The unsupported premise is the implication of the title, and the resulting assumption that many are indeed switching is probably false (unless one stretches the meaning of the word, "many").
Old 06-03-2017, 11:17   #460

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I wish this thread would end
Well, we can try to spice it up for you then

How about the fact that many cat owners are from down under? They also seem much more supporting of catamarans than other nations. A couple of years ago I discovered why (reported it then as well): when they flip it, being down under, they actually become right side up!

Old 06-03-2017, 11:42   #461

Quote:
Well, we can try to spice it up for you then

How about the fact that many cat owners are from down under? They also seem much more supporting of catamarans than other nations. A couple of years ago I discovered why (reported it then as well): when they flip it, being down under, they actually become right side up!
Despite what may be doubts from many others, I fully accept this as the best explanation of all. I did notice my computer had failed to make the usual automatic adjustment to the orientation for the northern latitudes, so I have corrected that omission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catflip-L.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	142569  
Old 06-03-2017, 12:49   #462

Quote: "The unsupported premise is the implication of the title, and the resulting assumption that many are indeed switching is probably false (unless one stretches the meaning of the word, "many")."

It may just be an unsubstantiated rumor spread by an Antipodean catamaran salesperson, but I am led to believe that the largest (units per year) mono manufacture in the world, now produces less units per year than the largest (units per year) cat manufacture in the world.

Actual production numbers are very hard to substantiate, they seem to be a well kept trade secret by most manufactures.

Unless pronouncing something along the lines of (170 units sold in the first 6 months) which I am now led to believe is North of 260 units in the first 12 months, but that is just more unsupported hearsay.

Are people dumping their mono's in droves to rush out and purchase a catamaran, I doubt it.

Are there way more cats being sold today as opposed to a few years back. Open your eyes in any desirable cruising anchorage around the world and compare the number of cats to previous years.

The fact that you berth your mono in an anchorage or marina that has none or very few catamarans, says more about your location or marina than it does about mono/catamaran debate.

A final note to remember, catamaran owners are not trying to convert the world from mono's to cats there is enough competition for the close in, shallow anchorages now, we do not need more cats out there competing for the prime anchor spots.~~~

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 13:40   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote: "The unsupported premise is the implication of the title, and the resulting assumption that many are indeed switching is probably false (unless one stretches the meaning of the word, "many")."

It may just be an unsubstantiated rumor spread by an Antipodean catamaran salesperson, but I am led to believe that the largest (units per year) mono manufacture in the world, now produces less units per year than the largest (units per year) cat manufacture in the world.

Actual production numbers are very hard to substantiate, they seem to be a well kept trade secret by most manufactures.

Unless pronouncing something along the lines of (170 units sold in the first 6 months) which I am now led to believe is North of 260 units in the first 12 months, but that is just more unsupported hearsay.

Are people dumping their mono's in droves to rush out and purchase a catamaran, I doubt it.

Are there way more cats being sold today as opposed to a few years back. Open your eyes in any desirable cruising anchorage around the world and compare the number of cats to previous years.

The fact that you berth your mono in an anchorage or marina that has none or very few catamarans, says more about your location or marina than it does about mono/catamaran debate.

A final note to remember, catamaran owners are not trying to convert the world from mono's to cats there is enough competition for the close in, shallow anchorages now, we do not need more cats out there competing for the prime anchor spots.~~~
Huh!! That that is fuzzy thinking and unrelated to logic. Are you a statistician or a politician by chance? Even if so, it means nothing. Totals from one builder/manufacturer only tell about that builder/manufacturer, and little about a market Totals from all builders (I prefer my boats to be built as opposed to manufactured) and manufacturers of both categories (mono and cat'), particularly if applied to the numbers sold, might mean something if there were similar statistics over a period of years, but even that says nothing definitive about a claim of "moving away from." I guess my best bet is to unsubscribe from this thread.
Old 06-03-2017, 14:13   #464

Quote Buzzstar"Huh!! That that is fuzzy math. Even if so, it means nothing."

I have been accused of "being fuzzy headed" at times but what maths in my post do you see as "Fuzzy"?

You seem to be in denial that"people are moving away from mono's" even though your signature states you are "Still learning after all these years"

Back in the 60's next to none (in comparative terms) multi hulls where available from manufacturers or builders (if you will) for purchase. Today even you can head to your nearest Boat Show and see the multitude of multihulls not only available for sale but sailing out the doors.

If people today where not moving from mono's to multihulls they would not be selling or manufacturing them and this discussion would not even be happening.

50 years ago the number of people world wide buying new monos' compared to new cats was for all intents and purposes close to 100%.

Come forward 50 years and that percentage has dropped quiet considerably.
Ergo: people are moving from mono's to cats.

What this discussion is about is the reason for this move!!!

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 14:32   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote Buzzstar"Huh!! That that is fuzzy math. Even if so, it means nothing."

I have been accused of "being fuzzy headed" at times but what maths in my post do you see as "Fuzzy"?

You seem to be in denial that"people are moving away from mono's" even though your signature states you are "Still learning after all these years"

Back in the 60's next to none (in comparative terms) multi hulls where available from manufacturers or builders (if you will) for purchase. Today even you can head to your nearest Boat Show and see the multitude of multihulls not only available for sale but sailing out the doors.

If people today where not moving from mono's to multihulls they would not be selling or manufacturing them and this discussion would not even be happening.

50 years ago the number of people world wide buying new monos' compared to new cats was for all intents and purposes close to 100%.

Come forward 50 years and that percentage has dropped quiet considerably.
Ergo: people are moving from mono's to cats.

What this discussion is about is the reason for this move!!!
OK, I will use your self description. Your newest post qualifies as more of the same. Comparing 50 years ago to the present provides, once again, nothing in connection with the claim. I would mean more people are acquiring cats, but it it does not indicate that anyone has ever moved away from monos tom cats. I am definitely not saying that no one has moved from a mono to a cat', I know they have, but just that your "evidence" does not so indicate. Think about it, and if you still do not understand, ask. I will then attempt to explain by a different method.

Tags
hull, monohull