Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 15:17   #361
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

ya but anyone who would chose a Mono over a Cat because of lightning strike stats...well...I wanna meet that guy...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 15:22   #362

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Some people suggest a really large battery cable clamped to the mast, other end clamped to a plate in the water. But no evidence this is effective.

We tend to try to avoid the storms, or if not possible, just stay away from metal on the boat. And carry backup electronics that we hope won't be fried, and material for sealing holes in boat. Would still have sails for propulsion afterwards.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 15:58   #363

Boat: a sailing boat

Except that comfort is not THE reason for everybody. More money in the bank IS likely much closer to being THE leading factor.

You can't move up to a cat when you cannot afford a cat. Many mono owners can only afford monos. That's that.

So to say, I do not think there is THE reason. There are simply many. Some do it for comfort, some for safety, some for speed, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 16:10   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Except that comfort is not THE reason for everybody. More money in the bank IS likely much closer to being THE leading factor.

You can't move up to a cat when you cannot afford a cat. Many mono owners can only afford monos. That's that.

So to say, I do not think there is THE reason. There are simply many. Some do it for comfort, some for safety, some for speed, etc.

b.
This is kind of absurd because there ARE many factors... acquisition cost is one, operating and maintenance cost is another, berthing or mooring is another, haul out / winter storage is another, size of family another, performance a bunch of others... and the list goes on... age is also one.

Not to mention that not everyone wants to get into a new boat and begin the long and expensive process of fitting it out "just right"... again. At my age a new boat is not in the cards of any size or type.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 17:13   #365

Boat: Lagoon 450

A few observations from reading all 25 pages of this thread at once:

1) Airplanes are clearly superior to helicopters

2) Even if one is provided with ample data, one will not change their minds. This has been amply proven in the current state of politics in the western world.

3) Most people are reasonable, and most people don't care about what boat you sail.

4) Some (few but persistent) people are weird and actually do care what boat you are sailing and will not stop telling you that you are doing it wrong. <<< Ignore/block candidates.

All that being said, I have owned a 27' mono, a 36' ketch and now a 45' cat.

For me, the biggest safety factor is it is *really* hard to fall off a cat, especially the Lagoon 450. It has nicely protected stairs to the flybridge, and a very safe aft cockpit walkway between the two sugar scoops.

Once at anchor in Bequia with a group of married full-time cruisers of about 12 people total, we got around to the topic of men peeing off the back of the boat while underway. All the woman howled with open frustration how often they have had to ask their husbands not to do that. I agreed with the women in general, as it is a common hazard. But I invited them to my boat, and all of the women immediate agreed that the naval-high stainless steel at the back is a great platform for peeing.

That being said I have my boat rigged with full jackline's full-time, and have harnesses and lifejackets ready at hand. But frankly the weather here is pretty much nice or predictable and there have been few occasions to use that gear.

I also believe that maintaining a more restful state in the multihull (inside with auto pilot) reduces errors and improves safety.

Falling off and fatigue I think are much more likely hazards than the ultimate Force 10 stuff.

Besides of all of that, we are a family of 5 and sailing is just one aspect of cruising - we are exploring, SCUBA diving, kite boarding, homeschooling, software engineering and just recovering from the land life.

I loved my monohulls - they were great fun. But as a platform they would not do the job we are currently doing as well. That being said, I still would have a ton of fun with the 36 ketch.
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 17:31   #366

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitstrategy View Post
A few observations from reading all 25 pages of this thread at once:

1) Airplanes are clearly superior to helicopters

2) Even if one is provided with ample data, one will not change their minds. This has been amply proven in the current state of politics in the western world.

3) Most people are reasonable, and most people don't care about what boat you sail.

4) Some (few but persistent) people are weird and actually do care what boat you are sailing and will not stop telling you that you are doing it wrong. <<< Ignore/block candidates.

All that being said, I have owned a 27' mono, a 36' ketch and now a 45' cat.

For me, the biggest safety factor is it is *really* hard to fall off a cat, especially the Lagoon 450. It has nicely protected stairs to the flybridge, and a very safe aft cockpit walkway between the two sugar scoops.

Once at anchor in Bequia with a group of married full-time cruisers of about 12 people total, we got around to the topic of men peeing off the back of the boat while underway. All the woman howled with open frustration how often they have had to ask their husbands not to do that. I agreed with the women in general, as it is a common hazard. But I invited them to my boat, and all of the women immediate agreed that the naval-high stainless steel at the back is a great platform for peeing.

That being said I have my boat rigged with full jackline's full-time, and have harnesses and lifejackets ready at hand. But frankly the weather here is pretty much nice or predictable and there have been few occasions to use that gear.

I also believe that maintaining a more restful state in the multihull (inside with auto pilot) reduces errors and improves safety.

Falling off and fatigue I think are much more likely hazards than the ultimate Force 10 stuff.

Besides of all of that, we are a family of 5 and sailing is just one aspect of cruising - we are exploring, SCUBA diving, kite boarding, homeschooling, software engineering and just recovering from the land life.

I loved my monohulls - they were great fun. But as a platform they would not do the job we are currently doing as well. That being said, I still would have a ton of fun with the 36 ketch.
I give up for now. I prefer monos to cats for specific reasons. The opinions of others are not going to change my opinion. So what!? The beauty of cruising and sailing is freedom. Freedom to escape those who would insist their way is not only best but would impose their way upon you. Can we avoid doing that via force (government) for the remainder of my life? I hope so. Enjoy your freedom, such as it is, as long as you are able. I fought for my country's freedom, now I just want to enjoy mine.
Old 01-03-2017, 19:12   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I give up for now. I prefer monos to cats for specific reasons. The opinions of others are not going to change my opinion. So what!? The beauty of cruising and sailing is freedom. Freedom to escape those who would insist their way is not only best but would impose their way upon you. Can we avoid doing that via force (government) for the remainder of my life? I hope so. Enjoy your freedom, such as it is, as long as you are able. I fought for my country's freedom, now I just want to enjoy mine.
Amen to the freedom of choice. I don't care what you chose to sail. Mono, Cat, Tri, I care more about who you are as a person when I meet you. After several charters I have met a few dickheads but the type of boat they sailed never defined who the were.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:07   #368

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Tell me what you presume and i will tell you what you lack..

Definitely this Multihull arguments based on mine is better and yours is worst aka my mono its safer your multi no or folks are moving away from Monohulls to multis etc... only show a hig degree of ego ignorance ... In my sailing enviroment everybody its the same , i dont hear outside of the internet the multi mono argument, multi and mono owners they look at each other with respect and courtesy, myself to, im happy sailing a cat or a mono, personally im more inclined to monohulls, i see pros and cons in both sides, i delivery 4 multis across the pond in the past, with 2 feb Biscay croosings, im not moving away from monohulls , personal pref, but i can respect any multi owner decisión... You guys bite the hook like piranhas... time to move on ...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:07   #369

Boat: Tartan 40

Yes these discussions always are like children arguing over toys. The only certainty we should agree on is that owning a sailboat is better than not. These mono/multi threads reflect the social media phenomenon where people "shout" their opinions at each other with very little attempt to listen to one another.

Maybe we should just record the same stale arguments in a video and close all mono/multi threads permanently.

Like this one which we all probably remember:

https://youtu.be/nehhH9rfnaw
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33   #370

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
This is kind of absurd because there ARE many factors...
You are 100% right.

I think that being able to afford one is, in many situations, the governing factor.

At least this is the case in my neck of woods (Africa, the EU) where a 40' mono costs about 50k while a 40' cat costs upwards of 100k.

Let alone berthage, boatyard fees and maintenance that may too favour a mono.

So, my take is something like: "People are moving away from monos for a number of factors; while many others are NOT moving away - because they cannot afford a cat'.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33   #371

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Yes these discussions always are like children arguing over toys. The only certainty we should agree on is that owning a sailboat is better than not.
That's what I don't understand about this subject. Why would all these people get a cat when they could have a real sailboat?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
That's what I don't understand about this subject. Why would all these people get a cat when they could have a real sailboat?
And there in lies the problem. Just when there are several posts about sailing whatever a person choses and respecting that choice, a troll comes along to stir the pot.

You sir… are the very type of person I hope I never meet on the water!
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Well monohulls keels act like a grounding path.

I dont know what kind of lightning protetcion in a multi?
Any idea?
The diagrams are kinda blurry to my eyes, Catamarans, but he is recommending two ground strips at/near the waterline on each hull. He calls them HStrips. There are some clearer examples on his site for mono and multi hull boats for entire lightning protection systems.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:53   #374

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
The diagrams are kinda blurry to my eyes, Catamarans, but he is recommending two ground strips at/near the waterline on each hull. He calls them HStrips. There are some clearer examples on his site for mono and multi hull boats for entire lightning protection systems.

Later,
Dan
Thank you , the only isue its they recommend it in the construction process , kinda to complex when the boat its finished.. Me think run a cooper ground wire from the mast compresión bulkhead across the main beam bulkhead to a couple of plates in each hull could be easy, i dont know for sure , plus maybe chainplates grounded to...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:20   #375

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitstrategy View Post
all of the women immediate agreed that the naval-high stainless steel at the back is a great platform for peeing.
I have to admit I never peed off a mono but I think that is the ultimate reason for a cat!
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull