Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 14:03   #331

Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Zeehag's got a cat.
It would be difficult for anyone on the multihull forum to not know that.

However you may have noticed there's also cat' with an apostrophe. As the diminutive of catamaran.

We have a cat'. We also have a cat. The cat has lived his whole life on the cat'. He's getting used to the constant capsizes. Doesn't even notice them.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:19   #332

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The mono's that were abandoned were rolled repeatedly, and dismasted. One sank. It doesn't sound to me like they were abandoned prematurely.
There is no way to reach your conclusion reliably from the cited facts. They may have been abandoned prematurely. Basically, this is because we do not know if some or all rolls or the loss of the masts were because they had been abandoned or if they were abandoned because they had rolled or lost their mast. Even having this information is not necessarily determinative. Most monos, except at the design extreme, are self righting, with or without mast. Sunk ones, and inverted cats, not so much.
Old 28-02-2017, 14:22   #333

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Boats as "classes" are neither safe or unsafe... more safe of less safe.

Safety at sea is menu of many factors... including how the boat is rigged, canvased and so on. I suppose if you look at some races where boats were lost... such as the Fastnet... how would you account for the fact that some vessels foundered in those conditions and others did not?

I wouldn't make a statement that cats are "as safe" or less safe or more safe than monos. Insurance actuarial data will not tell the story.

As an aside... which naval architect design both monos and cats?
Lidgard for one design's both cat and mono. One of his monos was lost in the storm.

Lavarnos, Du Toit, Bill Dixon, Dudey Dix, Simonis voogd, Phil Southwell and I am sure if I searched many others would show up.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:28   #334

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
That's interesting, why? I thought it was the height of the mast, regardless of hull shape.
Yes, why? Last year in Bali there was an electrical storm, out of all the boats only three reported damage ie wind instuments etc, they were all cats, and there were boats with taller masts! Anyone know the answer?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:29   #335

Quote:
It would be difficult for anyone on the multihull forum to not know that.

However you may have noticed there's also cat' with an apostrophe. As the diminutive of catamaran.

We have a cat'. We also have a cat. The cat has lived his whole life on the cat'. He's getting used to the constant capsizes. Doesn't even notice them.
OMG, this warrants a major clarification that will apply to all of my posts in this thread: I am a cat person, but not a cat' person, although I am sure most, if not all, cat people, and probably cat' people too, determined the difference by context.
Old 28-02-2017, 14:30   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
There is no way to reach your conclusion reliably from the cited facts. They may have been abandoned prematurely. Basically, this is because we do not know if some or all rolls or the loss of the masts were because they had been abandoned or if they were abandoned because they had rolled or lost their mast. Even having this information is not necessarily determinative. Most monos, except at the design extreme, are self righting, with or without mast. Sunk ones, and inverted cats, not so much.
Actually we do know. The mono's rolled and were dismasted before they issued their mayday calls. And after losing their rigs were rolled repeatedly. (They may have been rolled again after they were abandoned, but so what?)

There's a very strong likelihood that a boat that has been dismasted and rolled repeatedly will have suffered damage to it's steering and engine. So very likely these boats were dead in the water. (And IMO less habitable than an inverted catamaran.)

There seems to be a common belief in this forum that a mono can be rolled through 360' and will just pop back up and keep sailing. Doesn't happen in real life. In real life a sailing boat that rolls through 360' almost always suffers severe damage, and the crew frequently are injured too.

John McEnroe
Old 28-02-2017, 14:34   #337

Boat: Catalina 470

Personally the number one safety feature imo that a cat has is its harder to fall off. I believe this is probably the greatest cruising danger, mob. I had some very bad weather last year and it really got me thinking about this aspect.
Also engine redundancy is a big plus .

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:36   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Personally the number one safety feature imo that a cat has is its harder to fall off. I believe this is probably the greatest cruising danger, mob. I had some very bad weather last year and it really got me thinking about this aspect.

IMO a very realistic outlook.

John McEnroe
Old 28-02-2017, 14:40   #339

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:

very strong point. I fell off mono 2 x, 1 x close call on open ocean and decent sea. Not even close to falling in cat.

Hope to stay that way.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:43   #340

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Actually we do know. The mono's rolled and were dismasted before they issued their mayday calls. And after losing their rigs were rolled repeatedly. (They may have been rolled again after they were abandoned, but so what?)

There's a very strong likelihood that a boat that has been dismasted and rolled repeatedly will have suffered damage to it's steering and engine. So very likely these boats were dead in the water. (And IMO less habitable than an inverted catamaran.)

There seems to be a common belief in this forum that a mono can be rolled through 360' and will just pop back up and keep sailing. Doesn't happen in real life. In real life a sailing boat that rolls through 360' almost always suffers severe damage, and the crew frequently are injured too.

Buzzstar read the stories of the carnage of the injuries in the disastarous Sydney to Hobart race where there were injuries and deaths as 44C suggests. Reality.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:49   #341

Quote:
Yes, why? Last year in Bali there was an electrical storm, out of all the boats only three reported damage ie wind instuments etc, they were all cats, and there were boats with taller masts! Anyone know the answer?
Poseidon doesn't like cats, he is a dog person.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 15:00   #342

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

There is a difference, plain evidence in this post, between being sailors or just boat owners.

I honestly dont give a bit about others' boats... :-)

And dont mind what others think of mine.

Peace on Earth, and by the Seas
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 15:05   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Buzzstar read the stories of the carnage of the injuries in the disastarous Sydney to Hobart race where there were injuries and deaths as 44C suggests. Reality.
I've read many if not most of the weather related tragedy stories, long and short, from the past 50 years or so applicable to races and regattas, as well as many reconstructions/accounts of the solo vessel horror stories, including those extracted from the bigger stories to focus on a particular vessel. Notice I was very careful to include the words, "facts presented" in my subject post in this thread, BUT I did not follow the trail sufficiently to identify the implied and previously available identification information (my fault).

The entire thread does not change my opinion of what I'd rather be aboard in a storm, if I must be aboard. Nor does it in any way convince me that your preference should be my preference, nor mine yours. I've said this before on this forum, but probably not within this thread: The entire discussion reminds me of the reports of theologians arguing about how many angels could dance on the he'd of a pin. They might have been able to eventually decide upon the details of the pin in question, but I suspect they could never agree on the angels or their capabilities, or perhaps it was vice versa. Is not that why this thread is so long? Maybe we are the old theologians incarnate. [Not really.]
Old 28-02-2017, 20:35   #344

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Probably numbed by the constant drone of the motors! [emoji6]
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31   #345

Boat: Leopard 39

There are different things to love about monos and multis. The important thing is to love your vessel and to know her well. I sailed monohulls my entire life before buying a cat, and I wouldn't go back. Well, maybe for a Swan LOL.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull