Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2017, 15:12   #286

Boat: SOLD
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Lets compare with other costly hobie: aviation.

I"m not a pilot but anyone can see there are lots of propeller planes out there but much less jets. It's not because jet planes are unsafe , just because they cost much more $$. I bet a six pack to anyone that almost every pilot would like to have one ( of it suits his plans) but not all can afford them, and surelly there are lots of yellous pilots that talk sh@$*t about them because they can't have one.
IMHO the same happens with mono owners that hate cats
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:13   #287

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
We, in the United States, have recently learned about what you describe. As a negotiating technique. Might work for some, in some situations.

I can say, while in general I would prefer to cross an ocean in a mono, the specifics become important, and there are definitely some cats I'd prefer to some monos. BTW, I've been told, thankfully in private, that there are some that would prefer to cross that ocean alone on a surfboard, than with me on either a mono or a cat. Do you think they are kidding? I do not. Fortunately, there are some who say they'd prefer to accompany me on a mono than a cat, and I know of no one, thus far, who would prefer to accompany me on a cat rather than a mono. What a responsibility! [Those of you who want to suggest I do the surfboard crossing alone can (remainder of comment reviewed and deleted by spouse).]
I suspect from your posts that most would prefer not to accompany you on a vessel. Full stop.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:14   #288
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether cats are ultimately more seaworthy than monohulls, but the evidence of the Queen's Birthday storm surely do not prove that concept.

Jim
I am not either, even the most knowledgeable naval architects cannot say that. There might be some mistakes in numbers or the details I've given but these doesn't change the essence. (this was from the notes of a retired kiwi officier of a warship that I had read long ago)

It may not be to you but to me it's clear evidence that cats are seaworthy. More or less than monos is another issue and depends on yr perception of safety and seaworthyness.
For sure the crew of the cats were less competent (whether more elderly or not) than the crew of any monohull participating to a offshore race. Actually, they didn't or couldn't do anything and one of them had the rudder blocked if I remember correctly.
Secondly if a Catalac which has very narrow beam (theorotically more prone to capsize ) didn't capsize or pitchpoled in the huge waves that heeled 45 degrees a large warship (that's what the captain of the warship was saying), none will capsize. If you ask me how about the ones that have, pls go the web site of Chris Wright who had two cats of his design capsized; he has some explanations..

The rest is everyone's personal choice; I personaly would prefer to be sitting in the dry saloon of Catalac rather than knockdowning in a wet mono, breaking half of my bones, maybe even bleeding..
Moreover, any skipper under these conditions will make more errors and probably run into deeper trouble.

I love sailing in monohull under the sun, calm sea or when racing for couple of hours with a professional crew around me. When I am sailing with my wife alone in bad weather, I prefer to be in a cat, take a reef or two, have a small glass of wine in the saloon watching outside while steering with A/P when needed.
I respect anyway everyone's opinion and I am not trying to convince anybody on anything. I am just giving mine.. The only thing I am criticising is the people who makes comments on a cat or mono without even putting their feet in these boats but judging on what they find in the internet or heard from their friends..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:21   #289

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I suspect from your posts that most would prefer not to accompany you on a vessel. Full stop.
Yep. The only offers I get are from Australia, and they are automatic decllnes. To the others from oz, no insult intended.
Old 27-02-2017, 15:38   #290

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I'm not seeing anything about beam in the price list, but I don't do well when the the magazines tells me to pick out six things different in two nearly identical photos.

I'll keep looking.
50% surcharge is fairly typical in Australia. Here's one example that I know well:

http://www.portsnorth.com.au/pdfs/ma...tihull2017.pdf

10.1 - 12m Mono $58.28
10-1 - 12m Multi $87.42

12.1 - 15m Mono $73.01
12.1 - 15m Multi $109.51
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:47   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I disagree Weavis, we must read the forum differently. Yes there are some uneducated cat haters but I really don't see that many relative to the large amounts of postings. Also keep in mind a extremely large number of experienced cruisers don't contribute to cf, to say its indicative of the general feeling is a stretch imho.
We dont read it differently.
I read more than you do. You would be surprised what is removed as offensive at times.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:48   #292
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote "I accept some cat owners are extremely defensive in regard to answering critiques........"

Nanhhhh, you think, If we do not have the mono fraternity throwing disparaging remarks about our chosen style of vessel for more than 5 minutes, we will just as easily turn on each other for an even more heated argument.

Much the same way the mono fraternity will start deriding the production Beneteaus if no, two on one hull action over here.
Coffee all over the screen....

Aint it the truth....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:52   #293
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
Lets compare with other costly hobie: aviation.

I"m not a pilot but anyone can see there are lots of propeller planes out there but much less jets. It's not because jet planes are unsafe , just because they cost much more $$. I bet a six pack to anyone that almost every pilot would like to have one ( of it suits his plans) but not all can afford them, and surelly there are lots of yellous pilots that talk sh@$*t about them because they can't have one.
IMHO the same happens with mono owners that hate cats
You know I don't know a single mono sailor that hates cats. Some prefer cats, some prefer mono's. There are many married women that want a cat. However ALL of the single women I know that own boats, own a mono. How weird is that.

Myself, I don't consider sailing a hobby but more of a lifestyle choice where one lives, eats sleeps and is sailing or boating. I am very happy with my 34 foot sailboat. Yes it's a mono. but I would not be any happier with a 60 foot cat or mono.

Happiness comes from the soul and not from owning toys. Folks that worry about ROI or resale value, may never really appreciate how simple a life sailing can be.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 16:11   #294

Boat: Catalina 320

Videos have little to do with how seaworthy a vessel is. MacGregor put this video out a few years ago.
https://youtu.be/SI0GumzxYt4
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 16:34   #295

Quote "ALL of the single women I know that own boats, own a mono. How weird is that."

Not weird at all, the vast majority of cruising couples I know, own cats.

The only conclusion that might be drawn from either statement is for ones propensity to chose acquaintances that have a similar mind set and come from a similar socioeconomic group as ones self, or maybe not.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 17:29   #296

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
This is huge to me as well. Go down the companionway steps of a monohull, sit down, and what do you see? Walls. We sit down in the salon of our cat, and we see out 360 deg of water view. Yeah, when you go below the hulls on the cat are narrower than the monohull. BUt our living area is upstairs. Covered by a hard top, and on three sides, glass or lexan. In bad weather at anchor, we sit in the salon, read a book, and watch the rain. We can zip the canvas shut and heat it in cold weather. You're not stuck down below, or in a cockpit with rain blowing around a canvas top. We've had 14 people onboard - all seated topside - eating fajitas and drinking margaritas. And our boat is a relatively small 33 ft boat - not a condo cat.

!
I hardly think that the cabinetry in the main saloon of a nice mono can fairly be described as a "wall."

I do agree that sometimes it is very nice to be able to look all around like you can in a cat OR a mono's cockpit. We eat more than 50% of our meals "upstairs" and have made our cockpit quite comfortable because we like spending time there. But sometimes it's nice to have more privacy than that allows. When that occurs, we adjourn to down below and you simply pull all your curtains closed. No real big deal either way.

Is there any reason why you assume that a mono's cockpit can't be fairly easily equipped with a hard dodger and/or bimini enclosure and it's occupants enjoy reading during that same rainstorm while also enjoying the heat wafting up from below?

I think both types have their pros and cons and we all have our own preferences and priorities and there are some pretty good reasons for each of us having them, so there's no need to make up negative things about the boats you least prefer. It's great you enjoy your cat but don't feel too sorry for all of us mono sailors huddled down below, staring at the "wall" and completely missing out on the beauty that's all around us...because that just doesn't come close to describing the reality of cruising in a monohull.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 17:56   #297

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
You know I don't know a single mono sailor that hates cats. Some prefer cats, some prefer mono's. There are many married women that want a cat. However ALL of the single women I know that own boats, own a mono. How weird is that.

Myself, I don't consider sailing a hobby but more of a lifestyle choice where one lives, eats sleeps and is sailing or boating. I am very happy with my 34 foot sailboat. Yes it's a mono. but I would not be any happier with a 60 foot cat or mono.

Happiness comes from the soul and not from owning toys. Folks that worry about ROI or resale value, may never really appreciate how simple a life sailing can be.
Just Brilliant. I Love the way you think. We all see great things happening in your Future.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 18:01   #298

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Do you consider your Catalina 470 seaworthy?
Why wouldn't I? You obviously have an opinion?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 18:01   #299
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Bingo...they appear to "Have it all"...but do they...
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...d-feeling-poor
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 18:01   #300

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Just Brilliant. I Love the way you think. We all see great things happening in your Future.
Like buying a cat. .....[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull