Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2017, 17:21   #181

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Anyone with an interest in the subject might want to Google, "offshore oil service vessels" to see what results you get in the photos. Since the oil companies can afford whatever they want it might be instructive. I have not done it myself yet, but am about to, so I suppose I am a risk taker.
Well, I did it and must admit I saw one cat among the dozens (scores?) of images. But if you want a cat, it is no skin off my nose, nor is it any from yours if I do not. Just to be a turd, as many have been to me, and to paraphrase an unremembered anti something campaign, "friends do not recommend catamarans to friends." Still, I do recommend cruising, sailing in particular, over many other activities, and on the vessel of your choice to the extent you have a choice. Screw the choices of others, and select your own as best you can.
Old 26-02-2017, 17:32   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
That don't know better? Careful your basis is showing.
No, no bias, Just saying that people should actually sail them and see what works best. Take them out, sail some distance, spend nights on the anchor or better yet bum rides with people that have boats.

Ten years ago, when my wife and I took a full week of ASA sailing classes in preparation to buy a boat we sailed a 42' cat for 4 days and monohulls for 3. She like sailing the Catalina 22' with the tiller the best ... go figure.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 17:54   #183

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
You know, several people have posted about the higher expense of having a cat in a marina, vs a monohull. I've stayed as long term or transient in marinas all the way from Texas thru Florida and down thru the Exumas. I have never paid more per foot for a marina spot than a monohull. And end ties - or even space along the long piers - have never been more expensive than a slip. In my experience, boaters would rather have docks on both sides, which leaves the end slips vacant. Some of the muni marinas in Texas have even put in wide slips near the bulkhead, and reserved for cats, at the same price as the end ties. Sometimes the water is shallower, but most times its just a little harder to get in and out (which is less of a challenge for a dual-engine cat, vs a single engine whatever).

When we go into a yard, the crane charges by the foot - no upcharge for cat. The yard space is by the foot and day. No upcharge for cat. The two divers that I have used over the years to clean the bottom, charged around 50% more for a cat vs the monohull rate. That's ok because its more hull to clean. But its not twice as costly as some say.
Well dont go much further afield as it will all change for you. One of the biggest negatives to cats IS the extra berthage costs both on land and in water. Heck in Croatia those enterprising souls have even started charging double for cats on mooring balls!

Let alone try and negotiate an alongside berth at mono rates. very rarely happens.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:15   #184

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Well dont go much further afield as it will all change for you. One of the biggest negatives to cats IS the extra berthage costs both on land and in water. Heck in Croatia those enterprising souls have even started charging double for cats on mooring balls!

Let alone try and negotiate an alongside berth at mono rates. very rarely happens.
CF is an international site but I have to wonder about the breakdown of posters. My experience has been no difference in prices for cats and monohulls. One thing I did differ with sailjumanji is I have never paid extra for getting the hulls cleaned. Part of the reason may be I have two outboards which raise out of the water, no thru hull fittings, and no zinks. I have seen divers charge almost as much for changing zinks and dealing with struts and shafts as they do for cleaning hulls.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:32   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I hear a lot of talk about cruising cats being more popular, but when I look out the window in our 900 boat marina, there is ONE cruising cat, a Catana 40. It sits on a more expensive end tie, and I've seen it out maybe twice a year. There are about a dozen tri's, half of them 40 year old Searunners, and a couple of Gemini's which sit at the dock, but I don't consider any of them capable of cruising.

So where are all these new cats? Are they in stealth mode?? Or is Northern California no country for cruising cats?
Maybe they're all out cruising?
That said, there are at least five based here in Port Moresby in a much smaller marina.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:40   #186

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Cats/monos, guns, and anchors/anchoring so seem to draw the most fire or ire, along with the rare valid point, although none persuasive to the other side of the discussion. Oh well, since few of us have a piano on board (maybe a few cats do) it is a good way to exercise the fingers.
Makes me nearly half-tempted to suggest that older sailers should transit from sailboats to trawlers as I did, or there is something wrong with them.
Old 26-02-2017, 18:59   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Makes me nearly half-tempted to suggest that older sailers should transit from sailboats to trawlers as I did, or there is something wrong with them.
That could be a fine choice for me when I become old, but I am only 73. Among the problems is being able to afford the fuel. Do not forget that the wind is free.
Old 26-02-2017, 19:05   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
No, no bias, Just saying that people should actually sail them and see what works best. Take them out, sail some distance, spend nights on the anchor or better yet bum rides with people that have boats.

Ten years ago, when my wife and I took a full week of ASA sailing classes in preparation to buy a boat we sailed a 42' cat for 4 days and monohulls for 3. She like sailing the Catalina 22' with the tiller the best ... go figure.
Nothing to figure. Your wife is clearly a wise woman.
Old 26-02-2017, 19:46   #189
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I'm sure those offshore cats would do great here:
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 19:50   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yup that's right. There are just sooo many cruisers out in the North Sea making passage.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 20:53   #191

Quote "Do not forget that the wind is free."

Nothing is free, there is a cost be it small or large in replacement sails, hardware, standing and running rigging. You make your choice and pay the price one way or another.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:19   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote "Do not forget that the wind is free."

Nothing is free, there is a cost be it small or large in replacement sails, hardware, standing and running rigging. You make your choice and pay the price one way or another.
Au contraire, the wind is free; catching it is not. Lunches are not free either. TANSTAAFL.
Old 26-02-2017, 21:19   #193

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Is there anything smaller that that freighter that would do well in those seas?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:27   #194

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

This thread got my interest as I thought it vastly overstated that Cats were getting so prevalent. I looked at Google Earth from Mobile Bay east to Port St Joe in marina's there are 12 cats amount hundreds of mono and powerboats. On the GICW from Tarpon Springs to Key West, including Charlotte Harbor and Punta Gorda down to Key West I counted a total of 20 more. I just did this to see,how many there are and it is a very, very small percentage in this part of the country.

So from Kentucky Lake thru Mobile, along the north coast of Alabama and Florida, along the West coast of Flordia, and down to Key West there were 39 cats. Small numbers.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 21:32   #195

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yep Powercats are the future.

If they use the Tennant CS hull form they can be extremely fuel efficient and 1L per NM is achievable.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull