Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 13:56   #76

Boat: Beneteau
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Interesting comment:

Initially I felt the same, however.

Media and the way we consume it has changed dramatically over the past decade, just look at all the reality TV garbage on pay TV.

Consumers have been turning away from traditional TV channels for a while now and are willing to pay a few dollars each month directly to original content providers. This is where content is heading, we are just in the process of moving houses etc at the moment and we will not bother having PayTV channel going forward. Just Internet.
TV has never been different just indirect begging on a corporate level.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:59   #77

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpzas View Post
I refuse to do that.

Yes, I know that.... but still, they apparently can afford a million-dollar-vessel (you know, it's not only the purchase, its also the keeping), and someone with such a boat IMHO has no right to beg for cash. If I try to put myself on the other side: If I would own a million-dollar-boat, I would be ashamed to ask anyone for cash.
If you need to ask for money while at the same time owning such a boat, well then get a smaller boat. As simple as that. It just feels wrong.
Anyway, perhaps it's also some jealousy that speaks out of me here, as I am still far from getting the money together for any reasonable boat to start life afloat. Perhaps I might never get my own. - Everybody keeps saying "just do it", but 1000$-bills don't grow on the trees where I live.

ok, I should shut up here. Don't want to hijack the thread.
Oh come on. How many billionaires have companies that receive government subsidies under all kinds of pretense.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:01   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
TV has never been different just indirect begging on a corporate level.
TV is like essentially all media, only about one thing:
Bait for you to consume advertising. That's how they all make their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Oh come on. How many billionaires have companies that receive government subsidies under all kinds of pretense.
That still does not make it right. But that's unfortunately how the world works.
The more of an a**hole you are, the more profit you can make. Especially at the top ends...
(Yes, exceptions exist, granted, but that is how economy in general works.)
sailingpzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:05   #79

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
Cats may be comfy, but damn are they ugly.
so just buy a comfy cat and enjoy the look of your neighbor's classic wooden mono

i don't know if many monohullers are moving towards cats but i know that the buyers of my last two cats were experienced mono sailors.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:06   #80
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Humphreys View Post
I am leery of a boat with an escape hatch on her bottom and twice as wide as a "normal" slip. Renting a cat on a lovely vacation cruise in the BVI is fine but owning one, nope!

I'm Leary of a boat that requires lead attached to the bottom the keep from falling over 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:09   #81

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
On my cat, the knotmeter gives a pretty good reading of wind strength and direction. [emoji6]
The angle at which a hull is above the water can be a fine indicator as well.
Old 25-02-2017, 14:20   #82

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
That is begging for money in the 21st century. I dunno, seeing someone with a 1Mio-Dollar-Boat begging for cash, this just looks wrong to me on so many levels.
Amen too that.
mainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:21   #83

Boat: Lagoon 380

Why are people moving away from monohull? I don't know if they are or not? As a former owner of a monohull, and being a lover of all boats, (power included) for us it was about comfort. Some years ago a good friend lent us their Lagoon 380S2 and we were in love. A year later she was ours.

Like all boats, every boat has their compromises. Cats don't point well, the motion is more of a 'seesaw motion', they are generally more expensive and harder to fit in marinas. However, my wife doesn't get sea sick anymore as our living area is not down below. There is more space, more comfort, more redundancy and list goes on.

However, what works for us may not for someone else. What I love about the sailing community is when all is said and done, we all love the ocean, sailing and the environment. The personal challenges, trials and tribulations. But above all, it's just great fun.

So, are people moving away from monohull? Who cares? As long as we're all out on the water; what a privileged life cruisers enjoy.
Lukim Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:27   #84

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
The angle at which a hull is above the water can be a fine indicator as well.
Yeah, I know it's not what you meant, but I used to race a trimaran, and when the center hull was skimming the water and exposing the dagger board, you knew you were making great speed. But also needed to give the monohulls we were lapping more room to avoid their masts during knock down. Key West Race Week.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:28   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Oh you guys.

Stop it. Its a business making YouTube videos. A business. You get to see the product for FREE. If you FEEL like supporting them, you can join Patreon or send a donation, but its not begging.... you get the product in return, but you also get it if you dont pay!

Begging is something for nothing.

Now I dont support the erstwhile twosome simply because I have interests elsewhere. I also dont watch them frequently. HOwever I will not sit back and criticise them in any way for living a life that they chose, and also chose to share it via YOUTUBE whether people pay or not.

The FACT that others want to support the continued quality of videos and that they can finance a vessel from the proceeds is simply how the process worked out for them. It doesnt work out for others.

Begging? No.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:34   #86

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
That is begging for money in the 21st century. I dunno, seeing someone with a 1Mio-Dollar-Boat begging for cash, this just looks wrong to me on so many levels.

I guess it is as much begging as the person who receives money for submitting articles to magazines, or writes books that ends up supporting their cruising lifestyle.

It is entertaining for many (100s of thousands apparently) and can be educational for some as well. I have read many books, articles where people began the story of the boat search and then their cruising adventures. I paid money for these publications just as people do for the "stories" these people are putting online in the form of a "movie" if you will.

If the video story isn't good enough, just like a book, it won't last. But as long as people are enjoying it, why shouldn't the people who create the entertainment be compensated for their time just as an author is?
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:59   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRicco View Post
I guess it is as much begging as the person who receives money for submitting articles to magazines, or writes books that ends up supporting their cruising lifestyle.

It is entertaining for many (100s of thousands apparently) and can be educational for some as well. I have read many books, articles where people began the story of the boat search and then their cruising adventures. I paid money for these publications just as people do for the "stories" these people are putting online in the form of a "movie" if you will.

If the video story isn't good enough, just like a book, it won't last. But as long as people are enjoying it, why shouldn't the people who create the entertainment be compensated for their time just as an author is?

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:08   #88

I too am a lover of cats and have enjoyed many lovely cruises in the Carribean, but when it was time to finally buy our own boat (after years of research) we chose a Dufour 46 Grand Large. The hard chines really do prevent excessive healing and the cockpit is so spacious, we really didn't miss the cat cockpit space. Oddly enough, the one thing I was worried about was missing the cat and re-adjusting to a monohull. I don't miss it. The best feature is the cabins are more spacious too. I admit, I do miss being able to enter the salon a hundred times without climbing up and down the ladder though. I just feel the sailing was smoother, not too much heel, and no bouncy beach ball feel in rough seas. The only thing we haven't really adjusted to is the self tacking jib. It just doesn't sail down wind like we are used too. We also have a/c which makes steamy marinas bearable. After the first 10 day cruise, we couldn't be happier!
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:14   #89

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I wonder what would outsell, a good 45 foot mono and a good 45 multi if both were priced at $150K... new.
Dreamer
If both were priced at $150k they wouldn't be new.
If both priced $300k one might be good but the other a project boat.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:16   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Dreamer
If both were priced at $150k they wouldn't be new.
If both priced $300k one might be good but the other a project boat.
I know you didnt miss the principle in the question..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull