Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 02:41   #736
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The other anodes almost nothing, just the stabilizer anodes. Can't explain it. I have an isolator and everything is bonded. The strangest thing about the stabilizer anodes, is as they're eaten away, the zinc gets redeposited on the backside of the stabilizer.
You are getting galvanic/bimetallic corrosion. With zinc and stainless steel in contact in salt water, you are in effect creating a battery.

https://www.thebalance.com/galvanic-corrosion-2339698

Why do you have anodes on the stabilizers at all. I assume that you don't have them attached to your boat by steel cables?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 02:45   #737
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakaman View Post
Very thin !! Thanks I will start with that .
You should expect similar results on your boat. These things don't need to be overly large or heavy is what I've discovered, they don't put much strain on the rigging attached to them. Just enough force to counter the roll.

The reason two is better in some situations, is that with only one, your boat will still make the initial dip towards the swell/wave, then be stopped on the way back up. With two stoppers, you won't experience the dip, because the opposing stopper will counter it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 02:48   #738
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You are getting galvanic/bimetallic corrosion. With zinc and stainless steel in contact in salt water, you are in effect creating a battery.

https://www.thebalance.com/galvanic-corrosion-2339698

Why do you have anodes on the stabilizers at all. I assume that you don't have them attached to your boat by steel cables?
Is there a solution to this? Should I simply remove the anode, or is this a worse idea? The added coating of zinc on the backside is cosmetic.

BTW Stu, thanks again for all your help on my battery charger thread, the solar and extra charger is working out fantastic.

There were three or four you guys that hung in there till the end and it made a big difference.
Old 25-07-2017, 03:25   #739
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Is there a solution to this? Should I simply remove the anode, or is this a worse idea? The added coating of zinc on the backside is cosmetic.

BTW Stu, thanks again for all your help on my battery charger thread, the solar and extra charger is working out fantastic.

There were three or four you guys that hung in there till the end and it made a big difference.
Yes, I'd get rid of it. It's not protecting anything.

Glad the new energy sources are working well!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 03:53   #740

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Noelex might be the best to ask about this issue... He knows a bit about metals and aluminium and anodes etc..
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Metal corrosion is very complex and there are others that know far more than I do, but this is my opinion for what it's worth:

The flopper stopper is stainless steel and it is not electrically connected to anything else. It would be nice to know if the construction was 304 or 316 and if the same grade was used on the hinge and on the hinge pin, but even in the worst case, the anode is only going to make a very slight difference, if any, to reducing corrosion.

This is very different to say a stainless steel trim tab or a prop shaft. These pieces of equipment typically have all sorts of dissimilar metals electrically attached and when immersed in an electrolyte (seawater) an anode is essential.

Of course the anode on the flopper stopper will corrode as it is sacrificing itself to the stainless. The corrosion of the anode shows it is correctly electrically connected to the stainless steel, but the wearing of the anode does not necessarily show the anode is necessary, or that the anode is doing any good. The rapid wear is a function of the large area of unpainted stainless steel combined with the constant water movement in relatively warm water with a high salt concentration.

On the other hand, the anode also wont be doing any harm. Metals can be "overprotected" but this is not a problem in this case with simple unpainted stainless steel.

In short, I would not have bothered fitting an anode in this case, but there is also no need to remove it. I would let it corrode away and not bother to replace it.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 05:25   #741
cruiser

Sounds like a plan. Let it corrode, won't replace.
Old 26-07-2017, 01:30   #742
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Ken

Darren put the Westerly near the Marina entrance early doors.. about 6am.. A little chop and a nice roll.

He dropped the floppers down and instant relief..

He made an observation that he could balance the load better if he raised the line of stoppers on one side by about a foot instead of leaving them submerged equally...

Have you had time to play with yours? different design so might not apply..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 03:55   #743
cruiser

Quote:
Ken

Darren put the Westerly near the Marina entrance early doors.. about 6am.. A little chop and a nice roll.

He dropped the floppers down and instant relief..

He made an observation that he could balance the load better if he raised the line of stoppers on one side by about a foot instead of leaving them submerged equally...

Have you had time to play with yours? different design so might not apply..
No, I haven't experimented with depth. 95% of the time I'm in very calm anchorages, especially now in the Bay of Kotor, so only one stabilizer is deployed primarily for the boom to not shade the solar and to counter bower boat wakes.

The only time I put out two stabilizers is when I have the possibilty of open exposer to the sea if a wind change occurs, and I plan on remaining in the same location for a couple of days.

I really try to avoid any rolly anchorages and go out of my way to due so, which actually is quite easy here in Montenegro and Croatia to get out of the swell. It's much more difficult in Spain was our experience while over there for two years. There's nowhere to hide.
Old 26-07-2017, 04:15   #744
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Always breezy in southern Majorca... flat seabed.. direct from any direction.
Not pleasant on the coast for overnighting
Old 26-07-2017, 04:25   #745
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Strangely enough... one of the most rolly anchorages, and I only spent 2 days on a boat in it was Soller harbour... Rock and roll it was.
Old 26-07-2017, 04:30   #746
cruiser

I spent nearly two weeks anchored off Soller three summers ago. It can be beautiful and calm, or it can get down right gross with a 1-1.5 meter swell rolling in from the north. Fortunately, I only experienced one day and night with a 1 meter swell.

Always be sure to avoid anchoring on the far right side of the bay facing the beach... smooth rock bottom, no holding.
Old 26-07-2017, 05:12   #747
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I spent nearly two weeks anchored off Soller three summers ago. It can be beautiful and calm, or it can get down right gross with a 1-1.5 meter swell rolling in from the north. Fortunately, I only experienced one day and night with a 1 meter swell.

Always be sure to avoid anchoring on the far right side of the bay facing the beach... smooth rock bottom, no holding.
I think I started off there! worked my way back to the centre in line with the entrance and got a hold.. Both nights were rolly.

My favourite anchorage was on the East side of the island, Portocolom. Just below it was a smaller refuge. If the wind was not coming straight at you, was pretty good.
Old 26-07-2017, 06:18   #748
cruiser

Quote:
I think I started off there! worked my way back to the centre in line with the entrance and got a hold.. Both nights were rolly.

My favourite anchorage was on the East side of the island, Portocolom. Just below it was a smaller refuge. If the wind was not coming straight at you, was pretty good.
Everyone always starts out there.... it's an area with no boats. The others just sit and watch the anchoring show repeat itself all day long.

Tags
hull, monohull