Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 20:46   #31

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicka55 View Post
SNIP

If there was one perfect boat there wouldn't be all these choices.
One thing most folks I know want out of a boat is the best bang for the buck. The thing is not all of them have the same amount of bucks. Earlier in the thread one poster mentioned his price point for a new boat was $US500,000. I would bet for a lot of folks even a $US100,000 price point would seem excessive. Problem is for what I will call a sail away cat $US100,000 is often the starting point. I know there are lots of older ones a lot cheaper but most of the time they need real work to get in cruising shape. For a sail away monohull the price point is probably half to a third of a cat.

On the other hand I see lots of monohulls for $US5,000, or even less, that are quite acceptable as a floating apartment attached to a mooring ball at a marina with shower rooms at a cost much less than an apartment on land.

The key to finding the perfect boat is determining what you are going to use the boat for; not what you think you are going to use the boat for. For most folks who are living aboard and cruising in what I will call civilized waters a cat makes a lot of sense if it is within your price point range. For something you want to round the three great capes in it may not be the best choice; but how many folks realistically are going to round even one of the great capes. Not to mention as has been pointed out earlier many females view a cat as mandatory.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 21:09   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

If I had oh 4-5 million in the bank, I might think a 40 foot cat would be fun. But I have less then $500 in the bank and I have a lovely 48 year old sailboat I've called home for 10 years. I like Mono's quite a bit. OK I like all boats even power boats, though I would need another million just to fill the tanks of a semi-displacement power cruiser.

Luckily there are boats out there for everyone. So we all can be happy with what we have.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 21:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The old salts don't like it...
You are supposed to be uncomfortable as almost a right of passage.
Have no refrigeration and eat potatoes after you dig them out of the bilge and knock off the growing eyes.
You can't have a water maker and need to shower once a week with a garden sprayer or better yet, sneak a shower at the dinghy dock water hose at night.

There is this weird mindset in the Cruising Community that the old way is always better. Anything new is somehow going to open up the community to the masses....ah....there you go...that's the heart of it isn't it. If Cruising is too Comfortable and the Jones can do it, well good grief...
I actually laughed at this one! According to some folks on this forum, it's exactly like you described ))))))
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 21:19   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Luckily there are boats out there for everyone. So we all can be happy with what we have.
Indeed, something affordable and manageable. If you're doing you own antifouling and polishing suddenly even 31 feet seems huge. Whist 45 feet would be very nice the costs just go up exponentially for things like sails and become scary very quickly.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 22:41   #35

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
If I had oh 4-5 million in the bank, I might think a 40 foot cat would be fun. But I have less then $500 in the bank and I have a lovely 48 year old sailboat I've called home for 10 years. I like Mono's quite a bit. OK I like all boats even power boats, though I would need another million just to fill the tanks of a semi-displacement power cruiser.

Good thinking - a key to happiness.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 23:11   #36

Boat: Alberg #0

The first headline I read was couple get free million australian dollar yacht. In the story it said It was on loan to them for at least a year with an option to extend. I think the manufacturer is just lending it to them and covering maintainanvd to get good promotional coverage of their product. Seems like a win-win situation.

My first post was obviously facetious :-)
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 23:14   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
That would be easy for me....a Cat and never look back....

Which, if we can talk frankly for a moment, is why some monohull folks don't like cats. It's old fashioned Class Envy thing in the world where we are bread and feed a constant stream of anti evil 1%-er BS. Anyone with more money than you is the enemy and anyone with a better boat got it from screwing the poor. Hey...that's the political landscape today folks...so all of us that can afford to go cruising in their eyes we are the evil 1%-ers. Can I get a T-shirt that says "Evil 1%-er"
I couldn't care less as to what kind of boat someone else chooses to buy, but here on the CF forum, most members seem quite bothered by the choices other people make when it comes to most everything. Unless of course, if some fool wants to crap in a five gallon bucket filled with cat litter and live on a derelic barge anchored in Richardson bay... then we have nearly 100% supporting the free-spirit lifestyle.

Bum worship.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 23:54   #38

There are few things I could tell about subj. But it doesn't really matter, other people covered most of them in one way or another.
But there is one point that I'd like to mention. It's irrelevant to multihull, it rather applies to sailing world in whole.
Many sailors who actually sail full time, circumnavigating etc., seem to miss one very important point.
While they're sailing, world changes. Every time they step on land, they step in different world. It changed a lot, let say, in last 10 years. Sadly, not to the better, but that's how it is. Political games, inflation, corporations trying to rip world apart...
All these things do change the people on land. They live differently, they think differently, they change their priorities...
You can't really sail the world on cheap anymore, with all these ripoff port fees, visa fees, mooring fees, fuel cost, canal fees, parts cost etc.etc.

And these who trying to get into sailing world now, they're coming from this crazy modern world. They coming from their realities. No wonder that "old school sailors" don't understand/like them.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 00:23   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No argument that a multi is more comfortable at anchor and I believe that is why this design has gained the lead in new sales.

If buying a "new to me" boat today for say about $500k, I am honestly not sure how many hulls I would buy.
With a Cat, buy one, get one free.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 02:18   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

The arguments about the cost of cat are not correct. Of course 40 ft cat will cost more than 40 ft mono. But volumewise 40 ft cat can be compared to 50-52 ft mono. And if you take a 40 ft Lagoon or FP vs. a 50-52 ft Benetteau or Jeanneau, it's the same price.
The same goes with marina fees where you pay per sqm. 40 ft Lagoon will pay only as much as 50-52 ft mono and yet will have more space available due to the rectangular shape of cats vs. elliptical form of mono..
The only problem is that the smallest and cheapest cat (new) will start from 250.000 € and to that price you can buy a 43-45 ft nice mono.
The monos have also the advantage of being more tolerant to extra load, they already have 2-2,5 tons of keel to carry ..
The fact that the mono's are better upwind is the "city legend". If you compare a new generation charter mono's to reasonably loaded charter cats, the latters will be faster upwind at the expense of couple of more tacking. The new monos with larger aft (larger cockpit) , conservative sail area, mostly with furling main, shorter keels are not anymore what they used to be in the past. Obviously I am not comparing heavy condos with brands like X yachts, Grand Soleil, etc..

Safety is an important consideration and everyone has a different understanding on this topic. I don't believe that cats never sink but to be more buoyant is a big plus IMO.

And finally, the sales of monos globally are in decline while the cat sales are growing very fast. (That's what the CEO of one large mono manufacturers told me)

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 02:49   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpzas View Post
I refuse to do that.

Yes, I know that.... but still, they apparently can afford a million-dollar-vessel (you know, it's not only the purchase, its also the keeping), and someone with such a boat IMHO has no right to beg for cash. If I try to put myself on the other side: If I would own a million-dollar-boat, I would be ashamed to ask anyone for cash.

If you need to ask for money while at the same time owning such a boat, well then get a smaller boat. As simple as that. It just feels wrong.

Anyway, perhaps it's also some jealousy that speaks out of me here, as I am still far from getting the money together for any reasonable boat to start life afloat. Perhaps I might never get my own. - Everybody keeps saying "just do it", but 1000$-bills don't grow on the trees where I live.

ok, I should shut up here. Don't want to hijack the thread.

Understand this worry. But they ask you to support not beg. If you watch you are supporting. YOU have the right to chose. Why can't people just be happy for others that "make it". Actually, since they have reached and surpassed their patreon goal, they haven't really mentioned it too often. I love to live through the YouTubers and see all the places I hope to visit. Not make the same mistakes they do.

My reason for staying with a mono. Affordable.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 03:02   #42

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The fact that the mono's are better upwind is the "city legend". If you compare a new generation charter mono's to reasonably loaded charter cats, the latters will be faster upwind at the expense of couple of more tacking. The new monos with larger aft (larger cockpit) , conservative sail area, mostly with furling main, shorter keels are not anymore what they used to be in the past. Obviously I am not comparing heavy condos with brands like X yachts, Grand Soleil, etc..

Cheers

Yeloya
my wife always tells me that monos I overtake upwind have engine running in reverse to see how slow cats actually are. I believed her so far, but you say this may actually not be the case
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 04:03   #43
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

Why are people moving away from monohull's/ Could it because there's a lot of real cheap multi's coming on the market?
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 04:30   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

I started on mono's then got into cats when I acquired a Tiki 21 then a 26.. I liked the speed and the simplicity.
Cheap and easy to maintain.. and if I left Studland at lunchtime with a decent breeze I could be entering Cherbourg before dark.. but I was younger then.
However when threads like this come up I always remember how the first time I got a boat (mono) on her ear and going flat out.. water washing along the scuppers and the owner going 'HTF do you do that' the rush was similar to rushes I got hacking down a winding country road on my then Honda 750 in line 4..
That's why I sail.. the type of boat does not matter.. its the rush.. whether coaxing the best speed in light airs or riding before a F8 and surfing 5metre + sea's or just hove to/ahull and riding up and down a few biggies as the wind screams through the rigging..
I like flat bottom mono's like Benes etc.. but hate them going to windward when they start slamming..
I like heavy displacement boats but hate them as they roll downwind in a sea..
I like cats because they can be fast but dislike the slamming on the lee hull when I'm trying to get some sleep.. as for the legend of mugs/beers staying put.. folks who say this have never been in a sea bigger than 1metre.. things fly around if one gets in a decent seaway.. but.. its a nice yarn to tell the mono guests invited over for a drink..
I own a mono because I can't afford a Tiki 38..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 04:45   #45

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

For those of you that say they only chose the cat because Outremer gave them a sweet deal, as successful as their videos are, don't you think there were a bunch of mono boatbuilders offering similar sweet deals? For the opportunity to have their brand shown in the popular videos.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull