Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 16:59   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I have been saying that for a long time now. Leaners are not like home.
Most cruisers today want a FLAT comfortable ride.
Eh, I have one leg shorter than the other. I just walk backwards when we are on a starboard tack.
Old 24-02-2017, 17:08   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cotemar is quite right that leaners are not like home, unless home is really ramshackle! However, my leaner is my home, and I am quite happy with it. Like Dorothy said, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!" I think people bond with their boats from all the effort they put into them.

However, the impression I'm getting from this thread is also that some people are falling prey to propaganda films. Caveat emptor.

Ann
Old 24-02-2017, 17:35   #18
rbk

Boat: T37

There is nothing more stable in the middle of an ocean than an upside down cat
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:46   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
There is nothing more stable in the middle of an ocean than an upside down cat

Sure there is, a monohull on the bottom[emoji13]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:46   #20

Nope, y'all have it all wrong.

The movement towards cats is because they are the only platform where one can effectively hide guns, use coppercoat, and have a Rocna that is 2x recommended size.

Oops, I can't that slipped out. Time to put the beer down!
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Either way, they can afford it. they reportedly made $300 to $340k last year on Patreon alone!
That is begging for money in the 21st century. I dunno, seeing someone with a 1Mio-Dollar-Boat begging for cash, this just looks wrong to me on so many levels.
sailingpzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:52   #22

I am not about to buy another boat. But it would not be a cat. I like heel... it feels like sailing to me... Long passages are a bit of a challenge but that's not MOST of the time when living aboard. It's actually a small fraction of the time. More real estate has advantages. We don't need more, but we could fill it up. I would rather get a 50' mono if a new boat was in our future.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Either way, they can afford it. they reportedly made $300 to $340k last year on Patreon alone!
And where did you get that number? Saying reportedly is like saying I heard it from a friend of my wife's second sister.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:58   #24
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Sure there is, a monohull on the bottom[emoji13]
Hahaha!
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 18:07   #25

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpzas View Post
That is begging for money in the 21st century. I dunno, seeing someone with a 1Mio-Dollar-Boat begging for cash, this just looks wrong to me on so many levels.
Interesting comment:

Initially I felt the same, however.

Media and the way we consume it has changed dramatically over the past decade, just look at all the reality TV garbage on pay TV.

Consumers have been turning away from traditional TV channels for a while now and are willing to pay a few dollars each month directly to original content providers. This is where content is heading, we are just in the process of moving houses etc at the moment and we will not bother having PayTV channel going forward. Just Internet.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 18:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Media and the way we consume it has changed dramatically over the past decade, just look at all the reality TV garbage on pay TV.
I refuse to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Consumers have been turning away from traditional TV channels for a while now and are willing to pay a few dollars each month directly to original content providers. This is where content is heading, we are just in the process of moving houses etc at the moment and we will not bother having PayTV channel going forward. Just Internet.
Yes, I know that.... but still, they apparently can afford a million-dollar-vessel (you know, it's not only the purchase, its also the keeping), and someone with such a boat IMHO has no right to beg for cash. If I try to put myself on the other side: If I would own a million-dollar-boat, I would be ashamed to ask anyone for cash.
If you need to ask for money while at the same time owning such a boat, well then get a smaller boat. As simple as that. It just feels wrong.

Anyway, perhaps it's also some jealousy that speaks out of me here, as I am still far from getting the money together for any reasonable boat to start life afloat. Perhaps I might never get my own. - Everybody keeps saying "just do it", but 1000$-bills don't grow on the trees where I live.

ok, I should shut up here. Don't want to hijack the thread.
sailingpzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 19:28   #27

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpzas View Post
looks like, lots of cruisers turn to begging after a while, regardless of boat value, based on these sailing channels.

latest gadgets are never cheap and easily ruin one's (fat) bank balance.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 19:32   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
looks like, lots of cruisers turn to begging after a while, regardless of boat value, based on these sailing channels.

latest gadgets are never cheap and easily ruin one's (fat) bank balance.

I'm not sure how folks can call it begging for money when they are making videos and people are paying to watch them? What the difference in that and paying your cable bill? People are entertained by the videos so they pay a few bucks per month.

Ever shot and edited a video? It's REAL WORK and their videos are nicely put together. That's a bit more than putting a link on a Blog saying "Buy us a Beer of a Pizza".
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 20:10   #29

Boat: 10' surfboard

I have been watching a series lately about a couple who sold their motorhome and now are sailing a catamaran, it is their first boat.

The first time I saw the lady set her coffee cup down next to a few half finished beers and head outside to trim the sheets or whatever needed attention, and then came back and finished her coffee... AT SEA I sat there sort of shocked.

It seems like every episode somebody is drinking something, and just sets it down on the table and walks off, In fact they are always setting stuff anywhere and it all just stays there. S**T would be flying everywhere if they tried that on a monohull, tacking, jybing, and all!

So I think cats are neat. I would love a cat, but I'm the type who no matter what amount of money I had I would just get the Mono I want, and pocket the difference.

I would also much prefer a longer more high latitude ice and roaring forty ready mono because I like rugged adventure stuff, not lounging platforms, but that is more of a personality problem I have.
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 20:18   #30

Boat: Motiva 43

I support them and am happy for them. I enjoy their videos. You don't have to pay to watch. If you don't like it don't watch. If you don't want to pay don't pay. They are providing entertainment and they do good work. I think they spend a lot of time producing and editing videos. How many cruisers are looking for income while they cruise? Whats the difference if you write an article for a sailing magazine or write a book about your adventures? Don't be jealous.
Anyway back to the thread. I bought my mono a year and a half ago. I'm Happy. There is no perfect boat for all situations. When I walk down the dock some days I wish I had a Cat. If there was one perfect boat there wouldn't be all these choices.
Kicka55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull