Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2008, 01:46   #1

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
The new Voyager 10 metre cat

Saw drawings and photos of a very interesting new cat, the Voyager, at the boat show">London Boat Show yesterday. If you are considering a Mahe or anything around that price then it could well be worth a look here New boats at MultiHull World

Starting price is £99k (less than US$200k) for a good basic specification.

Not the prettiest cat in the world but designed by the man behind the very quick Dazcat range so sure to go well. I spent some time talking to the project originator and apparently there are several sold already in advance of the official launch in March.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 03:39   #2

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Maybe I am blind but I couldn't see where it states the dimensions, how long is it.
It appears that the C of E is quite aft but the mini keels are in about the usual place, strange.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 06:09   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
Maybe I am blind but I couldn't see where it states the dimensions, how long is it.
It appears that the C of E is quite aft but the mini keels are in about the usual place, strange.

Mike
Strangely it doesn't in any of the text as far as I can see. One of the plans though does have a scale bar and shows it as a bit more than 10 metres. I'm almost certain it said 10.2 metres when I was at the show. I don't think the beam is that much but bridgedeck clearance looked good.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 06:22   #4

Boat: privilege 37
made in china and verry late now.
but designed to fit the place left by the hevenly twins and caterlack
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 06:51   #5

If you click on the following link Dazcat Voyager 10.2 this will take you to Dazcats own site where there is more info on the Voyager.

And this link New boats at MultiHull World
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 08:26   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
PRODUCTION
Darren Newton has recently spent two 4 week periods with Timeless Yachts in China
helping with the progress on production and tooling. His assessment is below.

See also

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ina-11714.html

I like it though.
I particularly like the smaller mainsail with the "line station" in the cockpit idea.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 10:35   #7

Boat: PDQ 32
As the owner of a modest size cruising cat (PDQ32) I've been wondering if the species was becoming extinct. This boat and the Mahe suggest that at least some builders think there is a market.

The first thing I noticed is what appears to be a high freeboard. This boat is going to have some windage. As soon as they get one in the water, they should publish a photo - it may look better than the drawings. I'm also not wild about the solid foredeck. They did step the hulls out above the waterline to give some reserve buoyancy.

The center cockpit, aft cabin design is similar to our PDQ32 and we find it works well on this size cat. The decision to go galley up on a small cat is interesting but it looks like they may have made it work. That's not easy with only a 16 foot beam. (not trying to start a galley up/down debate)

Although they have published several pages of specs, there is no displacement number or mention of sail area that I could find. Also, since the biggest problem with cruising in smaller cats is payload, they really need to provide an estimate of the largest safe payload. Difficult to do do but important.

Those two large ports in the aft cabins might not be the greatest if the boat takes a large stern wave. Easy enough to swap out for smaller ports and still have enough ventilation/visibility. The cockpit should be quite secure.

The self tacking jib on a track is the same as our PDQ and we love it. I'm less thrilled with a bridle for mainsheet control. I would have a hard time giving up our long traveler for mainsail trimming. It's one of the great benefits of a cats beam. I can see why they did it, just don't care for it.

I must agree with Therapy that the centralized line station is really cool. Short, low friction runs, easy access. Single handing this boat should be a snap.

Interesting boat. Look forward to photos of the finished product.

Charlie Phillips
Portland, OR
charlie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:45   #8

Boat: Ordered Dazcat Voyager Catamaran and having 2 electric motors with single diesel generator for 10 m
Dazcat voyager

the voyager is now available to see on www.voyagercatamatarans.com and the finish is excellent as rest of Dazcat boats, but i am biased as i am having the next one being built now.
graham.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:22   #9

Hi Graham, I saw it at the Multihull Boat Show at Potsmouth last Friday, I have to admit that I thought the Voyager was going to be awful, but I was quite amazed, for it's size the room on board was tremendous, the saloon very plush and comfortable, good fittings, well finished (made in China but you would not know it), a large safe cockpit with good visibilty. I admit there were a few things I either felt were impractical or were certainly not for me, but for someone looking for a nice week end sailor and coastal cruiser it looks really great value, I would be interested in what the performance will be like, but I could be proved wrong with my thoughts.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:32   #10

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Graham,

Your link had a few too many letters - try this: Welcome to Voyager Catamarans

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote