Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 26-07-2008, 13:17   #241
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo IDR
I can only tell you real solar cell performance once Green Motion is launched and our victron monitoring system will tell us our total watt per day and this will be very variable since a clear day will do much better than a cloudy one and being close to the equator will also help.
So far these are only estimates based on previous experience with solar panels.
Our drive system time we can get out of the batteries does not include and charging we get from the solar panles or the wind generators , just the battery capacity on board.
the mentioned 70 % is 70 % of the maximum capacity of 215 watts P per panel or around 140 per panel x 2 makes 280 per hour for 6 to 8 hours depending on location.You might be right that the actual output will be reduced to 40 % of max output but we will see once we are out sailing. whatever the outcome is it will give a reduction in the use of fossil fuels and that is where all this started.
When I started putting my office and home onto solar power many people told me that it would be hard to do so but I have managed and we are actually a supplier of electricity in to the grid although minimal.
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 14:00   #242

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
If you are not using the solar cells for your drive system batteries, why did you say this? You sure don't need 144 volts for your refrigeration system or lighting.

Quote:
To answer the last question first , the cat on which we will install this will only be in the water in 2 months so at that moment we can tell you if the solution of putting 3 panels in series is the right choice.( if it works well the advantage will be one less efficiency loss in converting 24 into 144 volts dc power )
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 23:03   #243
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrhawke View Post
If you are not using the solar cells for your drive system batteries, why did you say this? You sure don't need 144 volts for your refrigeration system or lighting.
You are right there but I would like to use the solar panels to top up the drive battery,s
when on anchor or cruising longer periods since it takes less energy to go from 144 to 24 volts ands the battery capacity on board is much larger for the propulsion battery,s

Greetings

Gideon
Old 27-07-2008, 08:22   #244

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Keep us updated on how your new solar cells works connected in series. I foresee new and improved software and hardware quickly coming to improve solar cell performance and to address some of the existing shading performance issues over the next few years. Without question major advances in solar will be made for the marine industry as a major source of energy. Keep pushing the envelope.
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 05:00   #245
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrhawke View Post
Keep us updated on how your new solar cells works connected in series. I foresee new and improved software and hardware quickly coming to improve solar cell performance and to address some of the existing shading performance issues over the next few years. Without question major advances in solar will be made for the marine industry as a major source of energy. Keep pushing the envelope.
We will keep on trying and our aim is still to make fossil free sailing the norm .
The genset will only be on board for emergency use ( doldrums for instance )

Greetings
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25   #246

Gideon.

FastCat 435 #1 What is her weight? Does she have keel or daggerboard?

When do you "think" you have the 405 in sailready condition? It looks very nice.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:13   #247

fastcat 405

I really like the hull profile and would like to see some data on the performance differences between the keel and daggerboard models. I think the plumb bows are an attractive feature and since they add to the waterline length will add to perforance. Personaly I would prefer the forward bulkheads to be solid with large deck hatches for loading light gear or occassionally used items. I would rather have the occasional trip to the foredeck to retrieve something than the extra expense of watertight doors. I agree with the concept of one large head area moved forward in the owners cabin and using that space in the other hull for the owners preference. We plan on being full time livaboards and not only do we need a space to be able to maintain the boat, but my wife needs space to work on craft projects and such. I do not see an inside nav area on the drawings. I would like to see a sit-down space for spreading out charts and consulting instruments. We have ruled out a couple of other boats because our intention is to use a laptop computer for both nav and communications and don't want to be standing up at a small counter to use it and then having to move elsewhere to consult a chart. Since we will rarely have more than one other couple for guests, we would rather give up space on the setee and have a larger nav station/desk. You might consider it as an option. We have also been more impressed with the simplicity of boats with hard tops that carry through to the back of the cockpit and integrate the traveler into the back of the overhang. i would like to see the solar panels mounted outboard on the hard top to allow for walking to the aft end of the boom without having to tiptoe around the solar panels. I absolutely support the green propulsion system and applaud your committment by not offering other options. I have wondered for a while if it was possible to simply replace a portion of the weight of diesel engines with additional batteries mounted longitudinally low in the hulls and do away with fuel tanks altogether, and use wind, solar, and propeller regeneration as the sole energy supply. Eliminating several hundred pounds of fuel and the tanks to hold it just seems to make sense. I could not tell from the drawings what the transition from the cockpit to the salon looks like. We have been concerned with the design of many of the "ocean cruising cats" that were built to keep the charter fleets happy, by having large sliding doors, when our intention is to live aboard and circumnavigate. A large sliding door in an offshore application seems like a dangerous arrangement. It must be a difficult challenge to design a transition that is safe and functional that also will be pleasing to the eye. I have about a thousand other thoughts but should not make this post into a novel. I would like to be kept updated on your progress.
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29   #248
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
I really like the hull profile and would like to see some data on the performance differences between the keel and daggerboard models. I think the plumb bows are an attractive feature and since they add to the waterline length will add to perforance.

Personaly I would prefer the forward bulkheads to be solid with large deck hatches for loading light gear or occassionally used items. I would rather have the occasional trip to the foredeck to retrieve something than the extra expense of watertight doors. I agree with the concept of one large head area moved forward in the owners cabin and using that space in the other hull for the owners preference. We plan on being full time livaboards and not only do we need a space to be able to maintain the boat, but my wife needs space to work on craft projects and such. I do not see an inside nav area on the drawings. I would like to see a sit-down space for spreading out charts and consulting instruments. We have ruled out a couple of other boats because our intention is to use a laptop computer for both nav and communications and don't want to be standing up at a small counter to use it and then having to move elsewhere to consult a chart. Since we will rarely have more than one other couple for guests, we would rather give up space on the setee and have a larger nav station/desk. You might consider it as an option. We have also been more impressed with the simplicity of boats with hard tops that carry through to the back of the cockpit and integrate the traveler into the back of the overhang. i would like to see the solar panels mounted outboard on the hard top to allow for walking to the aft end of the boom without having to tiptoe around the solar panels. I absolutely support the green propulsion system and applaud your committment by not offering other options. I have wondered for a while if it was possible to simply replace a portion of the weight of diesel engines with additional batteries mounted longitudinally low in the hulls and do away with fuel tanks altogether, and use wind, solar, and propeller regeneration as the sole energy supply. Eliminating several hundred pounds of fuel and the tanks to hold it just seems to make sense. I could not tell from the drawings what the transition from the cockpit to the salon looks like. We have been concerned with the design of many of the "ocean cruising cats" that were built to keep the charter fleets happy, by having large sliding doors, when our intention is to live aboard and circumnavigate. A large sliding door in an offshore application seems like a dangerous arrangement. It must be a difficult challenge to design a transition that is safe and functional that also will be pleasing to the eye. I have about a thousand other thoughts but should not make this post into a novel. I would like to be kept updated on your progress.

Hallo Mongo

The forward bulkheads will be solid for safety with hatches on top to enter.

There will be a forward facing spacious nav station like in the FastCat 455.
The settee will have actual corners so when doing watches at night you have a good place to sit.
It will be possible to lower the dining table for an extra King sized bed
We do not use a traveler but dual control lines from the rear console.
The standard hard top Bimini will have ample space for solar panels and one 200 watt plus will be standard.
A small Diesel generator will be optional for the occasional periods without any wind.
Do not worry we do not use sliding doors at all , to heavy, not convenient and they take up a lot of space. We use a dual door 60 / 40 % split so when the first part is open you can get in and out and when the weather is nice open it all.
If you want to share more with me , my e mail address is

gideon@africancats.com

Greetings
Gideon
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33   #249
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Gideon.

FastCat 435 #1 What is her weight? Does she have keel or daggerboard?

When do you "think" you have the 405 in sailready condition? It looks very nice.
Hallo Freetime
FastCat 435 number 1 has a weight of around 8500 kilo ready to sail
The last FastCat 455 had a weight of 5800 kilo up on launching including all extra,s

We expect the first 405 to see the water the end of 2009

Thanks for the compliment but many changes will be implemented before we actually start building.

Greetings
Gideon
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17   #250

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post

The forward bulkheads will be solid for safety with hatches on top to enter.
I am sure you thought of this but in the event of a collision would not the hatches be much More susceptible to distortion/damage thus negating their value?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:38   #251
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are right off course Therapy however we use 3 closed compartments in each bow for possible damage control.
First the nose is closed of from top to bottom at 2 ft from the nose .
Second the bottom part up to 1 ft above the water line is closed off from this first bulkhead up to the main mast bulkhead.
Third the main bulk head is water tight with the hatch sittong on top to be able to put sails and other lightweight items in this area

Greetings

Gideon
Old 27-11-2009, 04:38   #252

Boat: Catamaran
Remember the words of The Engineer - "Good, Fast, or Cheap - pick any *two*" Sounds like you are going for Good and Fast, Cheap is doomed. As for design input, look to the Mantas for examples of how to use every nook and cranny productively, creative ways to add features that make a boat more liveable. Look at the Broadblue 415 as an example of how to avoid using the available space. I completely agree with the observation that a workspace is very important, if you don't build one in, the owners will hack one out. Even while recognizing you have given up on Cheap, putting maintence hogs (and major source of wind-drag) like windgenerators on the top of hte mast is not a great idea - think generally about the maintenance issues, those are what drive owners out of your boat and into someone else's. The Manta arch providdes a fabulous out-of-the-way moutning for such equipment but tends to put too much opportunity for owners to stern-load the boat.
drjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:39   #253

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Well Gideon is she sailing ?
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 13:24   #254
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

She was launched yesterday but we are waiting for the sail to arrive from Cape Town
Probably by the weekend we are sailing .
Greetings
Old 11-12-2009, 06:45   #255

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Hope you can ad som pictures from test sailing, inside and out.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastcat