Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 11:58   #1

The happiest day is when a man sells his boat? Can someone explain this lunacy to me?

The happiest day is when a man buys his boat and when he sells his boat.
I hear this all the time. <grrrr!!!!!>
They get this sort of look on their face and tell me this like they wrote it themselves and are very proud of this saying, and I have NEVER! heard this before.

However most that tell me this live in cookie cutter breeder homes, drive androgynous cloned cars and have never owned a boat and have had some sort of psycho counseling from being locked in a cubicle/squirrel cage most of their adult life.
Seriously, I open their medicine cabinets when I'm in their bathrooms and it looks like a DEA impound locker or something.
All I own is a bottle of Aspirin and it expired a year ago.

Just so this post don't get moved. I feel the Cat is the best use of nautical real estate without the feeling of going down a hobbit whole like a mono hull sailboat.
That's just my idea though.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:23   #2

Re: The happiest day is when a man sells his boat? Can someone explain this lunacy to

They are wrong. The happiest day is when you launch the boat you built yourself.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:28   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: The happiest day is when a man sells his boat? Can someone explain this lunacy to

I Hate that statement. And you are right the only people that say that don't own boats or they bought one tried it for a short while and ran away screaming when they saw their first bill.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I Hate that statement. And you are right the only people that say that don't own boats or they bought one tried it for a short while and ran away screaming when they saw their first bill.
^^^^^

It's one of the dumbest things I keep hearing/reading. People who use it know little about boats. Even when I moved up in size and quality of life on board, I always did and sometimes still do, miss the fun times I had with my earlier boats.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:49   #5

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I've had "former boat owners" tell me this.. but, my suspicion is that they had NO idea what they were getting themselves into. They had no idea of how much upkeep was in terms of cost and labor. They had no idea that the boat constantly needs SOMETHING. One of my friends at work got rid of her sailboat because they never wanted to have to do a "bottom painting" again. They thought it was a horrible difficult job, and they never wanted to do that again.

Yeah.. not a fun job.. but, on a 30' sailboat.. you are looking at.. what, a day or 2 worth of work? That shows me they had no idea that there was labor involved in owning a boat...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:57   #6

Well said guys.
Most I meet feel any sort of manual labor is beneath them. <eyes rolling>
Or! just butt lazy and prefer the idiot box with Netflix watching the latest production from the
Film Actors Guild.
Old 04-12-2015, 13:00   #7

Boat: Oyster 55

LOL, probably none of you people have ever been a two boat owner!
Sold my 50 ft ketch after being on the market for 2 years. Owned her for over 15 and have wonderful memories with my family on her for all those years. However it was time to move on. I will always have a hollow spot in my heart now that she is gone but am relieved only because it got to the point where I was not sailing her anymore and boats that sit around deteriorate even out of the water. If the new owner has 1/2 the enjoyment we did then she will serve him well. I can't say that I am happy but definitely relieved.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:04   #8

I've had boats, cars, and homes and enjoyed almost all of them.

But it is indeed true that you're happy on the day you buy them, and the day you sell them.

Mostly because they don't necessarily move very quickly either way, and if they do, you're very happy about it.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:36   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

When one falls 'out of love' for their boat, they can't get rid of it fast enough. Hence, when it sells, it's a happy day.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Bknham View Post

However most that tell me this live in cookie cutter breeder homes, drive androgynous cloned cars and have never owned a boat and have had some sort of psycho counseling from being locked in a cubicle/squirrel cage most of their adult life.
Brilliant! Will try to quote you in future.

I've sold boats in the past and have been very happy to see them go! Other boats I have very reluctantly parted company from.

A bit like women; but you are are young man, probably still to experience such trauma! For me; distant memories.

I hope my current boat (and wife!) has a long and happy partnership with me.

What's that American saying? "Buses, boats and broads; don't go chasing after one that's left, as another one will soon come along." Make sure it's a good one and you'll be sorry to part company.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:52   #11

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I was glad to finally sell my previous boat, after over 2 years of owning two. Glad not to have to winterize it, glad that it was going to be used again, and glad to recover a small amount of the money I put into it.

But, I was also sad to see it go. Happiest day of my life? Not even close! The happiest time of my life was the 10 years we spent cruising far and near in that boat.

The people who use that saying aren't boaters. Typically, they built up enough excess disposable income that someone suggested they should get a boat. No clue what to do with it, or what they were getting into. And no motivation to use or maintain it. The day THEY sell out is a happy one for them, and for us.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:26   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree......that phrase is irksome to me.

Put out their by simple people with simple minds making a non aggressive attempt to say "I told you so"...... About something they know nothing about!

If and when I sell Stargazer..... my feelings will be far more complex!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:04   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

If and when I sell my boat, it will not be a happy day. Perhaps, if if I have some dire financial need, it will be an act of necessity, but it will hurt. I think the folks who originated that phrase got into something way over their heads and thought of their boats as nothing more than just another water craft or recreational vehicle, and not an inspiration and source of joy. Or worse, they tried to think of it as an investment.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:26   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The happiest day for a boat owner is every day you spend on your boat, at sea, at anchor or at the dock. Sun rise or sun set, calm water or a brisk sailing breeze, single handed double handed or with friends. These are the best of times.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 21:04   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yep, the happiest day is the day you sell your boat...
if you are trading it in for one 2 ft bigger
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote