Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2013, 09:34   #436

Boat: CL52
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

SA is reporting the FH missing from Richardson's Bay. All vessels on the bay keep an eye peeled for the FH!
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 14:49   #437

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Wharram's are beautiful boats. I like his design sense and his attention to detail.

If HR had simply bought a set of plans with the builders estimated cost for materials, he could be well along the path to owning a nice Tiki 40-ish footer.

Self-building is enough of a challenge without assuming the role of naval architect as well.
Yep.

Too bad he didn't do what he said he did - research 1000 boats.
Old 23-08-2013, 10:55   #438

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yep.

Too bad he didn't do what he said he did - research 1000 boats.
Zut alors! Mssr HR studied 10 times 1000 boats!!!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:51   #439

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Snow Goose View Post
Did you read my post?

I never defended HR's thought processes or judgement.
I just said is their a kinder way to communicate, "Hey, there are those who have a lot of experience who are concerned about you. They believe your boat is VERY unsafe. We are concerned about you. Please have a dialogue with us." ?
vs.
Let's eat popcorn and watch this douche bag fuggin break apart!!!
I agree. I think that we can be kinder in our disagreement. Some of these comments are simply rude. I would be embarrased to have HR visit our site. Is this thread really how you would want to be judged by others.

In my years of sailing, sailors help each other out. Sometime we even help those who drive us up the wall and who we think are doing stupid things. As a rookie, I did lots of stupid stuff. I'm glad people laughed quietly and allowed me to learn by my mistakes.

Forget about right or wrong. Are your comments an accurate portrayal of your passion for sailing and your compassion for your fellow sailor?

I think we've beat up HR enough. I hope he finds the peace he is looking for and I hope that he can do it safely. Perhaps he needs some bad luck to show him where the limit is. I know I did. We each learn in our own way.

The Witchdoctor
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:56   #440

Boat: IP 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
SA is reporting the FH missing from Richardson's Bay.
WooHoo, Go HR. Who doesn't love a good underdog story! I sincerely hope he's able to get propulsion and steerage worked out and head out across that horizon!
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 13:56   #441

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrene View Post
I agree. I think that we can be kinder in our disagreement. Some of these comments are simply rude. I would be embarrased to have HR visit our site. Is this thread really how you would want to be judged by others.

In my years of sailing, sailors help each other out. Sometime we even help those who drive us up the wall and who we think are doing stupid things. As a rookie, I did lots of stupid stuff. I'm glad people laughed quietly and allowed me to learn by my mistakes.

Forget about right or wrong. Are your comments an accurate portrayal of your passion for sailing and your compassion for your fellow sailor?

I think we've beat up HR enough. I hope he finds the peace he is looking for and I hope that he can do it safely. Perhaps he needs some bad luck to show him where the limit is. I know I did. We each learn in our own way.

The Witchdoctor
Well said Witchdoctor, I little more kindness and a lot less sarcasm would be in the spirit of CF. I have, as I assume most of you have, done or made mistakes on our boats, planes, trains, or cars when building or working on them. Hopefully we have all learned and tried not to make the same mistake twice.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:13   #442

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
How did I miss that HR was in jail? Why? And has the boat been spotted?
Old 23-08-2013, 14:30   #443

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

HR got into a scuffle with the manager at his old marina. HR was pissed that they voided his access card after the FH hadn't been there for a week. Cops were called and HR had a failure to appear on some relatively minor traffic tickets so off to jail he went. They say he was bailed out a couple of days ago. No charges yet on the scuffle.
Old 23-08-2013, 19:23   #444

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Boat still in Richardson Bay.
Harbor master finds missing Flyin' Hawaiian sailboat hiding in plain sight - Marin Independent Journal
Old 23-08-2013, 21:14   #445

Boat: PT-11
First he bit the finger off. Then he bit it to the bone. Now its been bitten "almost to the bone". What the hell does that mean? There's not a lot between the skin and the bone of a finger. That writer seems like one of the SA rabble.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 22:46   #446
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

FYI- The Marin IJ or the column writer never said the finger was bitten off or bitten to the bone.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 07:46   #447

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
First he bit the finger off. Then he bit it to the bone. Now its been bitten "almost to the bone". What the hell does that mean? There's not a lot between the skin and the bone of a finger. That writer seems like one of the SA rabble.
Reminds me of an old joke.

-Rabinovitz, it it true that you have won 100 millions in lottery?
-Yes, it is true, however it was not 100 millions, but 20 bucks, not in lottery but in pocker, and not won but lost.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 12:30   #448

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
I met Henry in the last few years of his life. Knowing him had a profound effect on me.

His father let him finish primary school before putting him to tending the stock in the 30 miles of range they roamed. 13 years old and most of his nights were spent with his horse in a primitive camp.

At 16 he worked full time logging in the Arkansas piney woods. His 20's were spent in the west Texas oil fields.

Henry was almost almost 40 when a bullet in his neck changed his world. Paralyzed from the neck down for almost a year, he drug himself out of bed and back to the woods that he loved.

50 lbs less muscle than the man he used to be, he was 150 lbs of barbed wire.

I have never better judge of a mans character. With an uncanny knowledge of botany and wildlife, an unerring sense of direction, he tried to say he didn't have an education. I was always quick to correct him.

This is the strength of our stock that makes me proud to be a man.

My point is that if had taken him at face value I would have only seen a skinny red neck.

I am proud that I do not feel the need to ridicule someone who has put forth the effort that HR and his son have.

From the reports it sounds like the FH needs to be dockside for a while yet.

It would be nice to hear that all this publicity helped achieve a positive end to this saga.
Old 27-08-2013, 20:29   #449
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

You know the Flying Hawaiian does not look half bad... Actually in Richardson Bay, it looks pretty good, compaired to some of the other anchor outs.

They have windows cut into the superstructure now. They have some totally narly color changing led strips at night. Looks pretty bitchin to me. Plus they have that whole "it's still floating" thingy going for them.

Though the rigging and sail area might be a little hum, under canvased.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 07:49   #450

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
So tempted to head over just to take a look at the FH. Lol. Just to see. I've looked at the pics but I'm thinking the LED strips are worth the trip. Make the man buy me a nice dinner in Sausalito while we're there. :-)

Tags
hawaii