Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2013, 14:48   #361

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Really? I've been spreading "speculation and lies" in this thread? Who corrected the poster who said that HR had threatened to shoot people? Who posted the straight dope about the what had been reported regarding the harbormaster incident? Me, that's who. I have never knowingly made a derogatory statement about HR or his clan either here or on Sailing Anarchy and I challenge you to prove me wrong. Quite the contrary, I have generally been supportive of their efforts.

But the truth apparently has little value here. You and your not-so-secret admirer, Celestialsailor, seem to be pretty good at attributing negatives where they don't belong. I suggest that before you go pointing fingers, you get the facts right. Maybe look in the mirror too.
Actually, what you and the OP like to do is "point things out" getting all the vultures going and sitting back enjoying the show...like..."well my jobs done here". While the information might be arguably correct, it is never the less negative in nature as mosts of your other posts are.
Have a nice day
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:28   #362

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Well hell, how many of us have wanted to bite a harbor master at one time or another.

On a serious note: this is bordering on harassment, don't you HR hating SA groupies have anything else to do but follow him around and report his goings on? Do you even read what you are writing? Can you hear yourselves? So much mis information about a guy that has done nothing to you but build a big ass boat that may or may not break up in the future.

I think HR was close comparing this behavior to preschool, I'd compare it to a bunch of teen girls.

Is this what CF is for? To harass another boater?

There, now I've said my peace and counted to three.
Entering this fray very late, and am glad I did. Looks like Erika has hit the nail on the head again! Shameful schoolgirl gossiping and nitpicking by the vast lot of you! Seems to be verging on jealousy to some extents too.

So the man has a dream. Built his dream, and has not asked for your wisdom or expertise, or post build advice for that matter either! You are insulted, jealous? Have nothing better to do with your time than pick apart his efforts? Another sad day on CF. Shame!

To me it looks like the man has more cajones then the majority of us. Also looks like his build is quite along the lines of the US Navy built cat. Built with "YOUR" money! So his was built with ply and donations and little expertise. So what! Did a better job than I could ever do building a boat that size. It floats. Half the battle. He did not run into any Philippines' reef! Has not wasted your time or money. Don't you all have some sailing to do? and leave the guy in peace to enjoy his hard work?

Here is the US Navy cat and his cat. so what one is built of steel and cost billions and the other is built of ply and cost 25k. Both float! As Buddha suggested: If you can not help somebody, at least do them no harm. Seems schoolgirl gossip and jealousy leans to the harm side to me.
I said my peace. I am out. I wish him success in his desire to use the oceans to sail as he desires and sees fit, as long as no harm comes to anybody. Last I checked, none of us own the sea. Peace to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	65577   Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_100588_742_177183.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	65578  

Old 15-08-2013, 16:35   #363

Building something that floats isn't "half the battle", and that Navy warship is traveling at a speed that would annihilate the floating pig house, not to mention that the pig house has no propulsion (or steerage).

He build a buoy with an enclosed living space.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 16:47   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Building something that floats isn't "half the battle", and that Navy warship is traveling at a speed that would annihilate the floating pig house, not to mention that the pig house has no propulsion (or steerage).

To some people, looking alike must mean they're alike! You can't reason with them.
Old 15-08-2013, 16:56   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Actually, what you and the OP like to do is "point things out" getting all the vultures going and sitting back enjoying the show...like..."well my jobs done here". While the information might be arguably correct, it is never the less negative in nature as mosts of your other posts are.
Have a nice day
Thanks for saying so. I'd never get away with it.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:08   #366

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Truth be told I hope HR gets out of jail soon. I commissioned him to build me the sister ship Flying Topsail Island. Hope he doesn't spend my $5 deposit on cigarettes!
Seriously who doesn't want a party barge like that for 25k?
Old 15-08-2013, 19:53   #367
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Out cruising the world living your dream? Why don't you let others live theirs? Lord forbid you actually sail to an area with no Internet service.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:55   #368

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Crimea Cruiser.

Comparing the Navy's craft to the Flyin' Hawaiian, it begs the question,
Does a shorter mast (Navy vessel) equal greater speed?
If so, the FH needs to be dismasted to make more than two knots (as posted as its maximum speed so far on SA).

"Living The Dream"? Been there already, but still doing it a month and a half at a time a couple times a year.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 19:56   #369

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

What this man has built is analogous to the south sea Cargo Cult versions of aircraft.

The mere fact of building it doesn't somehow validate his efforts. It's a fairy tale to state that by building this ill conceived craft he's somehow living 'his dream' and 'out there doing it'. It's also absurd to suggest his efforts somehow enoble him in the face of criticisms by 'armchair sailors' who are just jealous. I don't subscribe to the notion that just doing it is all that counts - doing 'it' with style, skill, hard work and a good planning are what count. You know, all the things that suggest a successful outcome.

The unadorned truth is that his unskilled efforts have produced nothing of value. He has sought the limelight, and dismissed the whole notion that a body of knowledge about naval architecture, boat construction and sailing skills may be useful points of departure for his endeavors. What he could have done is immaterial. What he has done is squander two years of work, significant money, and from all accounts, his liberty.

This thing will probably float for quite some time if he abandons his notions of water sailing">blue water sailing. I hope it does because it's the only way he'll salvage some sense of accomplishment.
Attached Images

muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 20:11   #370

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seems like folks that have never bilt a damn thing just have to whip the guy that did !! Now it may not be what you would bild (if ya ever got off the puter long enough) But he and his son did bild it and it looks like it floats to me !! May never be let out of the Bay Area by the Coasties ! But he's got a hell of a good party condo ! with changeable views !! How can ya go wrong !! Sounds like wantabes sniveling again to me !! Just sayin , if ya can bild something better , do it and then brag ! Raggin on this guy will make ya old before your time !!
Old 15-08-2013, 20:18   #371

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka
What this man has built is analogous to the south sea Cargo Cult versions of aircraft.

The mere fact of building it doesn't somehow validate his efforts. It's a fairy tale to state that by building this ill conceived craft he's somehow living 'his dream' and 'out there doing it'. It's also absurd to suggest his efforts somehow enoble him in the face of criticisms by 'armchair sailors' who are just jealous. I don't subscribe to the notion that just doing it is all that counts - doing 'it' with style, skill, hard work and a good planning are what count. You know, all the things that suggest a successful outcome.

The unadorned truth is that his unskilled efforts have produced nothing of value. He has sought the limelight, and dismissed the whole notion that a body of knowledge about naval architecture, boat construction and sailing skills may be useful points of departure for his endeavors. What he could have done is immaterial. What he has done is squander two years of work, significant money, and from all accounts, his liberty.

This thing will probably float for quite some time if he abandons his notions of blue water sailing. I hope it does because it's the only way he'll salvage some sense of accomplishment.
I am fairly certain that plane won't fly, but the boat does float.
Old 15-08-2013, 20:47   #372

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Relax. That boat ain't going anywhere. Hope the guy enjoys it, kind of like Forbes Island, or the Taj Majal houseboat in Sausalito. (P.S. - fighting and biting is bad karma)
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 20:49   #373

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
If that plane was dropped from a great height, it will fly, before it hits the ground..
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 21:15   #374

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
As I've stated, it'll probably float for a long time as a barge and I hope it does.

But it was built with the stated purpose of sailing the builder and his family to Hawaii. Would any of those who cheer on this madcap endeavour volunteer as crew on that voyage?
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 04:32   #375

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran

I have read all the posts in this thread and I don't see any of them as harassment. I think the general tone has been concern for HR and family's welfare. There has been a genuine attempt by CF and SA members to engage with HR to establish the seaworthiness (or lack thereof) of his craft and to offer advice and assistance.

Of course there has also been some humorous criticism directed at HR but that is only because the guy is putting on such a good show, I for one am riveted, it's better than prime time TV
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii