Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 13:41   #211

Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Current Pics

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 13:57   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Wrong,
Are you sure you are NOT on the sh-t list on CF, have you checked all the forums to be sure? So far I have not found anyone carping about what you have done or did in the past. You MAY be lucky and everyone has forgotten that one little thing you have done wrong in the past.......
One? Only one?

Har, har, har, har....!

You're way behind on that score!
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 15:53   #213

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

When it comes to gossip, I have to readily admit men are as guilty as women.
~~Marilyn Monroe
Old 08-08-2013, 17:21   #214

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
When it comes to gossip, I have to readily admit men are as guilty as women.
~~Marilyn Monroe
Pff. This isn't gossip. This is schadenfreude.
Old 08-08-2013, 17:31   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post
Pff. This isn't gossip. This is schadenfreude.
I'm looking at it as an online "reality show" I'm just wondering how it's going to end.
Old 08-08-2013, 18:10   #216

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

At first, I wanted to post the above pic...But was afraid I might hurt some feelings.

Hoping to fail talk aside, it is kinda interesting to see how he is doing. And the yellow arrows are just soooo informative. Thermal camera is next? How about a diver sneaking over with a moisture meter?
Old 08-08-2013, 19:41   #217

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
In the days of dial up bulletin boards, I set up a nationally known file sharing, computer assistance message board.

While the hackers and virus's were a pain, it was the trolls that led to me shutting it down. I didn't want to provide a platform for an endless stream of animosity.

I hope HR has a place to get advice and encouragement. I don't think he will feel welcome here.
Old 08-08-2013, 20:01   #218

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
In the days of dial up bulletin boards, I set up a nationally known file sharing, computer assistance message board.

While the hackers and virus's were a pain, it was the trolls that led to me shutting it down. I didn't want to provide a platform for an endless stream of animosity.

I hope HR has a place to get advice and encouragement. I don't think he will feel welcome here.
A LOT of people have gone to HR to offer their advice and they've been snubbed, at every stage of the game. Even now, with the shed grounded and falling apart, he's refusing any help at all aside from the donation of parts. It's really the only reason I don't feel guilty for watching this unfold. One guy's experience:

Quote:
But when my guy tried to offer help with anything else he was rebuffed - - in a friendly way - - by a big ego and Rod's not knowing what he didn't know. e.g. when offered help planning navigation, HR said "You just sail out the gate and turn left. Next stop San Diego. What's to know?"
At a certain point, you have to give up on trying to help people who don't want help. I have to wonder who's going to be held accountable for the clean-up of this thing when it all goes sour.
Old 08-08-2013, 20:13   #219

My old perkins roars to life when I bump the starter and purrs like a kitten .She has developed leaks in her injection system. At present I am looking at making all new HP lines myself. Just for the challenge.

I have also looked at homemade head gaskets, adding a bowsprit, modifying the sail plan and designing a partial vacuum water maker among projects.

I fail at many first attempts. I think Edison did too.
Old 08-08-2013, 20:37   #220

Very few folks take unsolicited and spontaneous advice well. I try to but know that I can come across as gruff when engrossed in a project. I have learned to look for good advice to come from unexpected sources.

My personality or lack of one hides my interest. Maybe openness is the more accurate term.

Old 08-08-2013, 20:37   #221

Quote:
My old perkins roars to life when I bump the starter and purrs like a kitten .She has developed leaks in her injection system. At present I am looking at making all new HP lines myself. Just for the challenge.

I have also looked at homemade head gaskets, adding a bowsprit, modifying the sail plan and designing a partial vacuum water maker among projects.

The difference here is that you're not building your own engine from scratch with no idea what the hell you're doing. You probably started at the completely ignorant level, worked your way into routine maintenance, then did some bigger jobs, studied, read up on it, practiced, etc.

"Hot Rod" decided the road the ship building was merely a waist of time since a sixty five foot catamaran is essentially a large bird house.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 21:08   #222

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:

This is the key. I can fail too. That is why first attempts should be at something small and of little consequence...

I know that whenever I decide to design a component myself, there is always a process of screwing up/starting over again - namely a dragged out R&D session. Even on something mundane like slide & lift-out drawers for a boat galley.
To find a drawing by someone else who has already gone through the trial and error process saves a lot of time.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 21:30   #223

I looked at the pics of the internal structure of HR's baby and wonder if he beefed it up before launch.

I see comments that the building material will fall apart when it gets wet followed by clean up concerns.

Sounds biodegradable. The scooter not so much.

I put many hours into sailing a craft that i'm sure was not as seaworthy as HR' beast. Bailing that Catalina was a full time job.

Time will tell if the Flyin Hawaiian is or will be seaworthy..
Old 09-08-2013, 16:25   #224

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Look at all the crap on that stern. Makes my "crap on the back" look like the Oracle AC.

I just checked out the larger version of this photo and was kind of wondering what his visibility is like at those steering stations.

I know that Noah probably took a lot of ribbing before the flood and I'm certain folks laugh and giggle a bit when they see my 42' boat in my yard being rebuilt so I'm not going to criticize someone who is on the water having a great time doing what he likes even though his dreams are very large and boatbuilding style not so much.
Old 09-08-2013, 16:54   #225

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I just checked out the larger version of this photo and was kind of wondering what his visibility is like at those steering stations.
Doesn't matter, the wheels are not connected to the rudders. The piece extending vertically from the port stern is the cobbled together tiller.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii