Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36   #151

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

ElgatoGordo- I hope you don't mind that i didn't include your whole post. Your logic is sound and bring up great questions. So I'm gonna agree with you, without agreeing with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Will you please defend the BOAT? Will you look at the "beams" and say yes, you believe they will work (they will not). Will you look at the spans on the vertical sides and say yes you believe they can take an open seas impact of a 15ft wave on the beam? (Mine certainly can't and is built WAY better). Will you think clearly about a guy and his crew with zero sailing skills, on an unproven design, planning a daunting trip, and say yes, you believe they can do it? What I'm asking is: is it enough to just "do" and we should respect that? Should we all applaud the guy because he's "living the dream" despite ignoring EVERYTHING about the 1000 designs he supposedly looked at that makes them sea worthy? I say no. We should not.
No. I cannot defend the boat.

Yes, (IMO) it is enough to just do, in this case, build a big fat boat.

Yes. I worry about this turning into a unhappy ending. As I do for many who do things outside the norm.

Ya know, Im not completely daft( I've been tested), I can see trouble ahead. But, I hope he has more sense than whats been reported.

So dagnabbit, who are we to prevent him? Is this what the conclusion of this discussion is about, preventing him from sailing his creation? cause we cannot. So, in light of that, the only purpose of this thread, and of the other threads, are to document his inevitable failure. Ergo, I gotta pipe up here and root for the underdog. it's just my nature

Cheers, Erika

PS ElGatoGordo, are you still cruising around port A?
Old 05-08-2013, 13:05   #152

The defense of "hotrod", the Honduran wonder boat, and all other boneheads makes me chuckle.

If you think their detractors (like me) are bad, the supporters are worse : you're actually rooting them on.

And giving the guy a trophy for making a bunch of avoidable mistakes but hey he did it?

I'll go to home depot right now and build the Screamin' Fijian. That means what really other than I wasted a bunch of time and money?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:13   #153

Boat: PETERSON 44
Thor Heyerdahl built boats out of balsa and reeds. But it had the higher calling of science. Still nuts but Thor seems to be held in higher rank then a guy building a plywood raft. No way Kon tiki could have held a motor bike. Not bashing him is different then encouraging him. I don't think he would listen anyway.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:34   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

so far on my prout catamaran i have not found any crossbeams,now you lot are getting me worried as all i have are bulkheads holding the thing together
,though i guess it must be a bit like a hard boiled egg or crab,s exoskeleton,amazing how these prout cats have so many circumnavigations without crossbeams
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:39   #155

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

They are in there just like the frame on your VW bug. Can't find that either? Well welcome to the wonderful world of engineering.
Old 05-08-2013, 13:45   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
They are in there just like the frame on your VW bug. Can't find that either? Well welcome to the wonderful world of engineering.
i presume the HF was strong enough to be launched on a trailer ,and lifted by a crane?.....may be there is more to the shed than meets the eye
Old 05-08-2013, 13:50   #157

It was backed into the water on an old mobile home frame. No crane. There were no bulkheads according to the older pics so I'm pretty sure a crane would make toothpicks out of the FH.
Old 05-08-2013, 13:56   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It was backed into the water on an old mobile home frame. No crane. There were no bulkheads according to the older pics so I'm pretty sure a crane would make toothpicks out of the FH.
you are just jealous not having a shedamaran big enough to have a harley type motorcycle parked on the back,and a speed boat as a tender......shame on you
Old 05-08-2013, 14:09   #159

I'm more jealous of that Snowgoose of yours. I know that will make it to Tahiti.
Old 05-08-2013, 14:11   #160

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
It was backed into the water on an old mobile home frame. No crane..
I love it!! I'm likin this guy more and more.

I'm sorry to the folks who are feeling persicuted, not my intention( if it was from any of my posts).

I like how markj handled the teen girl who went RTW. He was adamantly against it, called it bonkers. But once she was out there, ( the second time, after she hit the ship) he wished her well. He didn't he agreed with it, but he didn't wish her ill will. Though I think he did want to strangle the parents.
Old 05-08-2013, 14:35   #161
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The defense of "hotrod", the Honduran wonder boat, and all other boneheads makes me chuckle.

If you think their detractors (like me) are bad, the supporters are worse : you're actually rooting them on.

And giving the guy a trophy for making a bunch of avoidable mistakes but hey he did it?

I'll go to home depot right now and build the Screamin' Fijian. That means what really other than I wasted a bunch of time and money?
What makes me chuckle is your sense of superiority. Ah but that's right, you've worked 10 hard years building your cojones to make the trip to Mexico! Maybe in another 20 you'll make it to the South Pacific. Each to his own.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 14:42   #162

Aesthetics aside...

Who here would sign up to cross 400 miles of open water on that thing? Would all of you vehemently defending "hot rod" with the "at least he did it" defense be willing to voyage aboard that vessel?

There are many people that buy old junked out boats that are no longer sea worthy. Does that make their old junked out boat okay because "at least they did it?" Does this whole discussion have some sort of lense on it because the guy built it himself? Do we feel more compelled to support him because it was actually built by the guy?

Also, I wonder if the staunch defense of such a vessel is a backswing from all of the times in the past where people have attacked others for far less "severe" infractions of seamanship.
Old 05-08-2013, 14:46   #163

I think ol Rod ought to just junk the rig and the whole sailing to the So. Pacific idea and use it as a very funky houseboat in the bay. Now we're talkin'. PARTY!
Old 05-08-2013, 14:52   #164

New update from Sailing Anarchy
Rod's Tow to Nowhere - (Geez. I've gotta get some work done some time, but . . . . ) So, HR and his crew had themselves a little adventure today, and I was able to watch. I also took some pix which I'll eventually post, but for now just the rough map below. Besides, I'm not sure he's actually anchored in his new position yet. I'll check in a couple of hours.

It started around 12:30 (high tide) when he appeared to be towing toward the marina. It's hard to figure what his goal was, because there's no room for him in there right now. His old spot at the end of the "A" dock is now occupied by a nice-looking (and presumably rent-paying) catamaran. In any case, he never got there. FH appeared to run aground just to the east of the first pair of markers for the channel into the marina. (This is one of the most popular spots to ground a boat in the whole damn bay.) So HR drops his to line and runs FH Jr. back to the big boat and ties alongside. He and Mrs. Rod fuss around with the starboard rudder, which appears to be what hit the mud. Eventually it swings up (they appear to be hinged pop-up rudders, sorta like a sunfish) and he FH starts to drift. For about 15 minutes they drifted to the northeast, sort of parallel to the seawall of the marina, while the two of them walked fore and aft, checking the tow hookup, possibly considering dropping the anchor, messing with something back by the rudder and the Bayliner all the while skirting the edge of what is a very shallow mudbank.

After a while, Rod apparently realized that he was headed toward trouble, jumped back in the Bayliner and picked up the tow again. However, for the next 15 minute or so, he would just pull the boat a little upwind and then idle the motorboat while he let it continue to drift to the east. At one point I thought he was maybe trying to drift back to his original spot behind East Marin Island. While this was going on, he appeared to make several calls on a cellphone.

Eventually, he powered-up and started to tow with a purpose. For about half a mile, he appeared to be headed back toward where he was anchored this morning, but then he swung around and headed toward the mouth of San Rafael Creek. Eventually he reached a point where I could only follow his mastheads over the roofs of houses over that way, but it look like FH stopped and swung around into the wind about where I've marked it on the map. If so, he's just about blocking the mouth of the canal, which goes into the Yacht Club and a couple of marinas downtown. If so, someone in authority is going to have a very pointed conversation with him real soon. There's a hill in the neighborhood next door where I think I can get a good overhead view of just where he is. I'll check it out on toward low tide.

Username Spoffo lives right there.

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space - Page 40 - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
Old 05-08-2013, 15:11   #165

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
ElgatoGordo- I hope you don't mind that i didn't include your whole post. Your logic is sound and bring up great questions. So I'm gonna agree with you, without agreeing with you

No. I cannot defend the boat.

Yes, (IMO) it is enough to just do, in this case, build a big fat boat.

Yes. I worry about this turning into a unhappy ending. As I do for many who do things outside the norm.

Ya know, Im not completely daft( I've been tested), I can see trouble ahead. But, I hope he has more sense than whats been reported.

So dagnabbit, who are we to prevent him? Is this what the conclusion of this discussion is about, preventing him from sailing his creation? cause we cannot. So, in light of that, the only purpose of this thread, and of the other threads, are to document his inevitable failure. Ergo, I gotta pipe up here and root for the underdog. it's just my nature

Cheers, Erika

PS ElGatoGordo, are you still cruising around port A?
Ah If ONLY we could all be so easy to get along with! Thank you

NO! I would not, have not, WILL NOT suggest "we" stop him. Not the Po-Po, the USCG, or anyone else, Unless he's breaking the law (Other than sanitation issues that we don't know about, I don't believe he is). The best we can do is say "STOP BROTHER!" before you and your's die! Which is what these threads are basically...well that and good old fashion gossipy entertainment.

The price of freedom (well, one price of many) is that even when ALL COMMON SENSE says it's STUPID...you can still do it. And society is left to clean it up. Whether it's having more babies on welfare, ignoring safety violations and causing a massive oil spill, or promoting religious beliefs that harm children, incite violence or intolerance, or dumb down the gene pool....YOU CAN DO IT! (insert best Arnold voice)

But the corollary is I can use whatever means I choose (the internet) to speak up and say IT'S STUPID!!!!!!!

PS: I cruise up and down the coast as time allows. Last time I was near Port A was in June. Likely back in or after October. Unless I go East. It's just SO FAR EAST before I get anywhere I want to be lol. I'll eventually see you guys down South!

Tags
hawaii