Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03   #121

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23   #122

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Can't wait to see the new picture taken from the rescue chopper looking down on him in the litter.
Cheering to fail, wish it weren't so. How happy some will be.

Yes, I'm pulling out the Hellen Keller

No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
~Helen Keller

And for the folks who think nothing good will come from this

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.

~B F Skinner

And more cause it seems apropos

That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of the time.

~John Stuart Mill

Sent from my iPad~~~ I wuv it!!
Old 04-08-2013, 14:08   #123

Two camps then, those who think Hot Rod is a moron for staring out, and those who think he's a hero for trying. I don't really want to argue with anyone about this but here goes...

I'm not a troll, and I don't get any pleasure from just criticising people for the hell of it. I love people doing crazy, ambitious things - and sailing voyages are probably some of the most challenging of those - and I love it when they succeed. These people all have certain things in common though. They all have significant, relevant experience, they look long and hard at what they want to achieve, consider what resources they have, and arrive at sensible, practical, well-engineered solutions to achieving their dreams. Joshua Slocum, in choosing the Spray, found a boat which could be made seaworthy with only the resources at hand, but still had exactly what he needed - unusually good dynamic stability and good form stability. Robin Knox-Johnston, realising he wouldn't have the money to build his 'perfect' boat, used his experience and ingenuity to turn the already outdated Suhaili in to a boat capable of the most ambitious voyage ever undertaken. Serge Testa, Alessandro Di Benedetto, Jessica Watson, Laura Dekker etc. etc. are all good examples in addition to many others.

Two examples which spring to mind at the moment are Sven Yrvind and Roger Taylor. The former is currently building a 10-foot boat which he intends to use to sail non-stop around the world. It would be easy to dismiss him as bonkers like Hot Rod, until you look at his previous achievements and experience and consider the meticulous thought and preparation which is going in to building the Yrvind 10. I thoroughly recommend checking out his blog here.

Roger Taylor has undertaken more impressive voyages than most 'cruisers' in a 21' Corribee called Mingming, including to ice fields round Greenland and to 80' North and Spitzbergen - see his videos here. He is currently upsizing to a more capable boat - which to him means an Achilles 24! He sewed up his junk-sail in his kitchen and is using an aluminium lamp-post as a mast. Again, he could be easily dismissed as a Hot Rod-style nutter, without considering his experience and the care with which he is approaching his new build. What he actually is doing is building a totally unsinkable, relatively fast and extremely seaworthy small vessel for next to nothing. Like Sven Yrvind, I feel pretty sure he will achieve much of what he wants.

These people all have the key attributes mentioned above, often in addition to a disarming humility. Hot Rod has none of this. He can only have taken the most basic look at what he actually wanted to achieve, he massively overreaches his resources and he takes no time to consider what the right way is to build his dream. He also has an almost unbelievable arrogance. Rather than a troll I'm actually a mechanical engineer, and it's the engineering which really annoys me in these sort of things. David Vann mentioned on Page 7 is another classic example. He constructs his aluminium trimaran without really learning to weld, and without even at the most basic level considering the forces in the vessel. Of course, if you concentrate the torsional forces of three hulls at a single point then it will fail. With simple changes to the structure he could have had a good boat. With Hot Rod, he builds his boat without stopping to think that there is more to a box than six walls. With internal structures to stiffen the hulls he wouldn't look so daft at all. If he had some strong beam structures connecting the two hulls then he might have been in with a chance. If he had built a smaller boat he could have afforded better materials and fittings. As it is, if he sets out to achieve his original dream he is doomed to failure, without question. There is absolutely nothing praiseworthy about what he has done, he is just an unintelligent individual who is wasting our natural resources, polluting our ocean and more importantly endangering life and expecting others to look after him.

I don't see why people who realise this should be dismissed as 'trolls'...

(sorry about the long post, it's just the first time anyone has called me a 'troll' )
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:18   #124

Boat: PETERSON 44
Probably more the 2 camps some pretty fantastic trips in rafts as well. I think this is a glorified raft with some rigging and a motorcycle. ISP long as this doesn't become some pile of toxic timber adrift in the waterways I don't care. I don't think he's a hero. He certainly is ambitious. Seems to have some skills as he's made it off the dock. Probably lacks some other skills I think he would be better learning but he probably doesn't care what I think and he didn't ask.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:21   #125

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

+1 Europaflyer. Very elegantly stated.
Old 04-08-2013, 14:28   #126
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I agree he may not make it. But at least he didn't sit in his armchair criticizing other people's dreams and ambitions. Kinda makes you wonder who the true loser is.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:29   #127
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree he may not make it. But at least he didn't sit in his armchair criticizing other people's dreams and ambitions. Kinda makes you wonder who the true loser is.
Let me correct that. Who is truly missing out.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:39   #128
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

I'm a TROLL.... and someone's gotta poke fun back attcha... gets really boring otherwise...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:42   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm a TROLL.... and someone's gotta poke fun back attcha... gets really boring otherwise...
+1
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:43   #130

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Totally irreverent. Luv ya man.
Old 04-08-2013, 15:22   #131

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Two camps then, those who think Hot Rod is a moron for staring out, and those who think he's a hero for trying. I don't really want to argue with anyone about this but here goes...

I'm not a troll, and I don't get any pleasure from just criticising people for the hell of it. I love people doing crazy, ambitious things - and sailing voyages are probably some of the most challenging of those - and I love it when they succeed. These people all have certain things in common though. They all have significant, relevant experience, they look long and hard at what they want to achieve, consider what resources they have, and arrive at sensible, practical, well-engineered solutions to achieving their dreams. Joshua Slocum, in choosing the Spray, found a boat which could be made seaworthy with only the resources at hand, but still had exactly what he needed - unusually good dynamic stability and good form stability. Robin Knox-Johnston, realising he wouldn't have the money to build his 'perfect' boat, used his experience and ingenuity to turn the already outdated Suhaili in to a boat capable of the most ambitious voyage ever undertaken. Serge Testa, Alessandro Di Benedetto, Jessica Watson, Laura Dekker etc. etc. are all good examples in addition to many others.

Two examples which spring to mind at the moment are Sven Yrvind and Roger Taylor. The former is currently building a 10-foot boat which he intends to use to sail non-stop around the world. It would be easy to dismiss him as bonkers like Hot Rod, until you look at his previous achievements and experience and consider the meticulous thought and preparation which is going in to building the Yrvind 10. I thoroughly recommend checking out his blog here.

Roger Taylor has undertaken more impressive voyages than most 'cruisers' in a 21' Corribee called Mingming, including to ice fields round Greenland and to 80' North and Spitzbergen - see his videos here. He is currently upsizing to a more capable boat - which to him means an Achilles 24! He sewed up his junk-sail in his kitchen and is using an aluminium lamp-post as a mast. Again, he could be easily dismissed as a Hot Rod-style nutter, without considering his experience and the care with which he is approaching his new build. What he actually is doing is building a totally unsinkable, relatively fast and extremely seaworthy small vessel for next to nothing. Like Sven Yrvind, I feel pretty sure he will achieve much of what he wants.

These people all have the key attributes mentioned above, often in addition to a disarming humility. Hot Rod has none of this. He can only have taken the most basic look at what he actually wanted to achieve, he massively overreaches his resources and he takes no time to consider what the right way is to build his dream. He also has an almost unbelievable arrogance. Rather than a troll I'm actually a mechanical engineer, and it's the engineering which really annoys me in these sort of things. David Vann mentioned on Page 7 is another classic example. He constructs his aluminium trimaran without really learning to weld, and without even at the most basic level considering the forces in the vessel. Of course, if you concentrate the torsional forces of three hulls at a single point then it will fail. With simple changes to the structure he could have had a good boat. With Hot Rod, he builds his boat without stopping to think that there is more to a box than six walls. With internal structures to stiffen the hulls he wouldn't look so daft at all. If he had some strong beam structures connecting the two hulls then he might have been in with a chance. If he had built a smaller boat he could have afforded better materials and fittings. As it is, if he sets out to achieve his original dream he is doomed to failure, without question. There is absolutely nothing praiseworthy about what he has done, he is just an unintelligent individual who is wasting our natural resources, polluting our ocean and more importantly endangering life and expecting others to look after him.

I don't see why people who realise this should be dismissed as 'trolls'...

(sorry about the long post, it's just the first time anyone has called me a 'troll' )
This is good.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 17:39   #132

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing praiseworthy about what he has done, he is just an unintelligent individual who is wasting our natural resources, polluting our ocean and more importantly endangering life and expecting others to look after him.
This is a false statement, and frankly, can be said of anyone by anyone.
Old 04-08-2013, 17:45   #133

Boat: PT-11
Haters gonna hate.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 19:21   #134

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I heard for a main sheet hes using the block and tackle you buy at walmart for hanging and skinning deer, with the yellow line.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 19:30   #135

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Europaflyer, I've just browsed Sven Yrvind's blog and found it fascinating.
I think he's of a rare and different mold (mould?).
He's not a 'comfort seeker' by any means, and he's done some wild stuff in small sailboats and gone back for more.

Great stuff in that blog:
"I SPENT THE WINTER IN BRIS WORKING WITH MULTIHULL DESIGNER DICK NEWICK. HEAT CAME FROM AN TOASTER BOUGHT IN THRIFT SHOP FOR ONE DOLLAR."
snort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii