Old 03-08-2013, 17:44   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Jack, or anybody else for that matter

What did I miss? Is there a thread here or somewhere else where this guy asked anybody for their advice then ignored it? A blog I'm missing perhaps?
PM sent.

Old 03-08-2013, 18:30   #77

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

PM sent.
Thanks Steve, and Jack thank you too. At least this thread is starting to make sense now. Felt like I stepped into the Twilight Zone or something.

The guy still has the right to waste his time, material and money any way he sees fit IMO. So long as he doesn't abandon it to let the tax payers clean it up I say more power to him. Different strokes.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:38   #78

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Wow folks,

I am glad I am not on the wrong side of CF! If I were this man and logged into our site, I would believe that we are nothing but cruel sailors who act like a bunch of hens. Let's see what happens before we condem the man. As was stated above, what law has he broken? I have heard less condemnation in a church where the choir leader was pregnant outside of marriage...from an athesiest!

Normally I am on the outside of the normal world. But then unless we are in group of sailors, aren't most of you? We live a life that no one agrees with. We do something that most think is romantic and dangerous. We don't share the same values and we don't care. But when someone in our own crowd encompasses those same qualites but outside our unique cultural experinece and what we believe is normal and safe, we make negative judgements.

My hope for this man is that he makes it safe and sound. I hope his hard work pays off for him. I hope his lack of experience does not get him killed out there... and I hope he does not visit CF. You guys will eat him alive.

The Witchdoctor
Old 03-08-2013, 18:53   #79
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm not wishing the guy harm, but I do take offense a bit to people who don't respect the sea. They think, by reading some forums and visiting West Marine, that they can get all their planning done in advance. It's taken me over ten years just to get to the point that I feel comfortable getting ready to cross an ocean and that hardly guarantees success.
So what your saying is people who read forums and visit West Marine don't respect the sea? Now, I take offense to people who flaunt their credentials, criticize beginners for trying, and in general over blow the difficulty of cruising blue water.

I read this forum often, was at West Marine yesterday, and crossed the Atlantic last year. It only took me two years of planning and I was quite certain of success when I left.

It is unlikely this "Flying Hawaiian" will actually make it to Hawaii. But he could make it to the Sea of Cortez and hang out there for a few years. If the guy is happy, well, good for him. Ton's of people do stupid things and most get away with them. I'll wish him luck.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:55   #80

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Don't worry folks, that boat's not going far. Looks like it will be way under canvassed.
Old 03-08-2013, 19:08   #81
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Actually I think his stupid decision is Hawaii...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 19:20   #82

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

It's not that he built the boat without proper research or construction techniques it's also what he said to journalists sometimes while on camera and others. Let's recap just 5.

He said he was a pilot. No FAA records found.
He said he was a meteorologist. Again, no records found.
He said the FH will do 30 knots! Still waiting on that one.
He is going to power it with a pair of 9.9 outboards.
He said it will weigh only 10,000 pounds

For those of you cheering him on keep in mind there are no keels or boards and about the only direction he can go is straight downwind. There's a pretty good breeze coming in through the Golden Gate just about every day so how is even going to get out of the bay?
Old 03-08-2013, 19:21   #83
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually I think his stupid decision is Hawaii...
How true!!!

Expensive and no where to moor. He should stick with the gravy route down to Cabo and eat some dollar fish taco's.

Sand Crab, undoubtedly he has some serious problems to overcome. I'm just thinking we can cut him a little slack.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 19:41   #84

I've been a lifelong builder, contractor, carpenter etc. I would have helped him here and there if I was closer and he was doing it right or at least closer to right. But this one IS truly built like a fiberglassed shed. What a waste.
Old 03-08-2013, 20:07   #85

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Went to the SA sight looking for an update on the FH. She was spotted at anchor and pics were taken.

The flamers are in full swing there also.

One would think the guys name was Noah rather than Hot Rod.
Old 03-08-2013, 20:07   #86

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

???Which of you paid for anything on this boat?? Its his money, his life and maybe he don't give a big damn what any of yall think maybe?? Im no NA and I would never bilt a boat this way, but again it's his choice ! Who are we to judge him ?? Maybe this is an example of Online know it all ??? Come on folks some folks on here are long time cruisers, some are on there first cruise! But the commen thing I read is, we know more then this guy! he should never be allowed bild anything we don't approve of !! LOL Come on guys don't spoil his dreams !! He will do something with this boat, but we don't know what that will be !! YET
Old 03-08-2013, 20:12   #87

More from Hot Rod.

"I am a master motorcycle mechanic certified to work on all the major makes"

"I'm a carpenter, an electrician, a plumber, a mechanic, even a pilot.............When I came out of college I was a computer programmer, Fortran, Cobol............ There was no work because this stuff was obsolete. I had to reinvent myself. I have done it many times."

Gesturing up toward the cabin of the boat: "I have lots of paperwork and certifications up there. You'd be surprised." ..................... Laughing, "I am no longer impressed by my own resume."

Gesturing toward his son Mike. "We're professional boatbuilders. Yah, we're boat builders. Really, certified by the federal government." (Me: "I've never heard of a US government certification or license for boat building.") "Well we have it. This is a federally documented vessel." ..........

"........we're going to leave this harbor with a 3 star rating. You can also get a 4 or 5 star rating but that requires just a bunch of other unnecessay expensive stuff"
Old 03-08-2013, 20:14   #88
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
???Which of you paid for anything on this boat?? Its his money, his life and maybe he don't give a big damn what any of yall think maybe?? Im no NA and I would never bilt a boat this way, but again it's his choice ! Who are we to judge him ?? Maybe this is an example of Online know it all ??? Come on folks some folks on here are long time cruisers, some are on there first cruise! But the commen thing I read is, we know more then this guy! he should never be allowed bild anything we don't approve of !! LOL Come on guys don't spoil his dreams !! He will do something with this boat, but we don't know what that will be !! YET
I'll laugh my nutz off if he's quietly glassing in a load of bulkheads and stiffeners now he's got some privacy....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 20:23   #89

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
He is anchored off China Camp State Park in SF Bay. One of the SA members posted a couple of pics and more ridicule.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 20:34   #90

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

He can certainly build a boat any way he wants, however HE HAS ASKED FOR DONATIONS, so he has put himself in the public arena, and thus open to criticism and public comment on his boat.
Also, it isn't just him, he has his wheelchair bound mother on board.

The world would be a boring place if we all had shiny new boats built by 10 year experienced builders all going to ivy league schools, meeting all manner of safety regulations and codes, y'know like in NZ...

I wish him well, and in fact it would be great if he made it to Hawaii.

Tags
hawaii

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: